September 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Requiem

Euro kind of goes off the rails with cutoff activity in the mid-long range. GFS will probably lead the way.

What rails?

You are sort of implying that a meandering cutoff pattern is impossible even though that is exactly what we had all weekend and still have now.

FWIW... even the GFS was showing organized rain for Labor Day about a week ago which prompted me to make reservations east of the mountains. The end of result was an "off the rails" cutoff scenario that resulted in a gorgeous weekend. ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The current pattern:

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_1.png

12Z ECMWF at day 10:

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_11.png

Does not seem too outlandish... although it will probably change many times. It at least seems to be on the "rails" given the current pattern.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Two years ago today the Eagle Creek Fire was really getting established. Within a day or two it was the smokiest I’ve ever seen here in town, with accumulating ash raining out of the sky one night. All with highs around 90 and lows in the mid 60s.

Today is much nicer. Clear blue skies and puffy clouds with a temp of 80 after a low of 56.

• Like 1

Two years ago today the Eagle Creek Fire was really getting established. Within a day or two it was the smokiest I’ve ever seen here in town, with accumulating ash raining out of the sky one night. All with highs around 90 and lows in the mid 60s.

Today is much nicer. Clear blue skies and puffy clouds with a temp of 80 after a low of 56.

Yup, was basically a Silent Hill-type event going down here too.  Even being indoors the AQ was awful.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

We had some accumulating ash and thick orange smoke here in August of last summer. I don’t think that happened the year before, but it was still very smoky.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

My friends in Seattle definitely had accumulating ash in 2017.

I think we had a tiny bit that year but I don’t remember it being bad here locally. I’m sure other places had accumulated ash that year as well, I just can only really remember it specifically being bad at my house last summer.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I liked this comment...

Let's build it out of aluminum they said.

The build codes are relatively strict in the Bahamas, for obvious reasons.

Finally, we have heard back from iCyclone.

The account from Josh is jaw-dropping and heartbreaking. This guy is the toughest chaser I know..he went through all of the recent big ones, including Patricia (EPAC), super typhoon Haiyan, Matthew, etc, and apparently Dorian blew them all away..literally. Most powerful cyclone he’s experienced in his 28 years of chasing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/icyclone/status/1169009558167142402

tTMhZk9.jpg

• Like 1

Finally, we have heard back from iCyclone.

The account from Josh is jaw-dropping and heartbreaking. This guy is the toughest chaser I know..he went through all of the recent big ones, including Patricia (EPAC), super typhoon Haiyan, Matthew, etc, and apparently Dorian blew them all away..literally. Most powerful cyclone he’s experienced in his 28 years of chasing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/icyclone/status/1169009558167142402

tTMhZk9.jpg

Glad he made it through.

Played 9 holes of "super-twilight" golf with my son at Mt Si Golf Course this evening. Gorgeous evening and sunset... not even the hint of a breeze out there. It was quite warm and felt humid.

20190903-174843.jpg

Played 9 holes of "super-twilight" golf with my son at Mt Si Golf Course this evening. Gorgeous evening and sunset... not even the hint of a breeze out there. It was quite warm and felt humid.

20190903-174843.jpg

Definitely a perk of your son working at a golf course...you can pretty much play for free anywhere!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!