April 2014 Observations and Discussion

Tom

12z Euro says no more sub50 highs after Friday... nothing but 50s to low 60s through day 10.  I'd like a couple warmer days mixed in, but I won't complain about consistent milder(normal) weather.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Pretty seasonable forecast for the next 7 days here. Lowest temp is 30°.

Going to be some lake breezes, but the EURO is encouraging.

@ East Dubzz - I think any significant snow chances are now over with, especially with the way the models are trending. Probably see some flurries and maybe even some snow showers left this month, but that's probably it.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

@ East Dubzz - I think any significant snow chances are now over with, especially with the way the models are trending. Probably see some flurries and maybe even some snow showers left this month, but that's probably it.

Yup, I totally agree, and I'm totally fine with that. Bring on spring.

i do agree geos that within the next week or to we will be out of this back and fourth pattern and once that polar vortex is gone that we will have a zonal flow pattern.

CFSv2 has now flipped warm from mid April and beyond in recent runs.  It brings some really torchy weather into the region and Spring will finally make an appearance it seems.  I'm going to bake out here in AZ with low 90's next week and some of that warmth will start building in from the west sometime around the 16/18th and take hold. 

• Like 1

I think will have to watch out for next Tuesday. Looks pretty warm and meager on the back-side of this system but might be able to pull in enough cold air ecp if it closes off for some snow across lower Lakes. We have had snow in April before. Not all that to uncommon.

Not seeing any winter threats in the medium to long range.  think we may have finally turned the corner.  Candaian looks nice in the long range.

that is good news gosaints that our snowstorms is done for the season that my forecast is showing nothing but 50 60 and 70's (but bring on the t shirt and shorts weather).

Well it looks like winter has finally lost its grip and spring should start in earnest next week which I am sure we are all ready for. It was really an entertaining winter with all the model craziness, extremely cold temps and plenty of broken snowfall records across the nation.

Since I am only a winter weather enthusiast it is time for me to close the books on this winter. I will pop in from time to time but that will be on rare occasions. I learned a lot on this forum as this is really a great group and I hope to see all of you guys next winter. Enjoy your spring and summer everyone and hopefully Nebraska and the rest of the drought areas will get in on some much needed rain.

Until next fall then!

• Like 4

Couldn't of said it any better Tony.  The Winter of 2013/14 here in Chicago will be remembered for the ages as well as many places in our region.  Now I could finally say I lived through an epic winter!  Glad to see this forum increase its members during this season and hopefully next winter will bring more aboard.  Looking forward to seeing Spring/Summer take hold in Chi-city so we can hit the beaches, boats, bon fires and best of all, some summer time T-Storms.

• Like 3

Couldn't of said it any better Tony.  The Winter of 2013/14 here in Chicago will be remembered for the ages as well as many places in our region.  Now I could finally say I lived through an epic winter!  Glad to see this forum increase its members during this season and hopefully next winter will bring more aboard.  Looking forward to seeing Spring/Summer take hold in Chi-city so we can hit the beaches, boats, bon fires and best of all, some summer time T-Storms.

i am on aboard on this tom that we had a long winter with many records nearly broken and broken with the polar vortex stronger than ever that with the blocking over alaska that caused the jet stream to come crashing into the conus with brutally artic air and the clipper train that keeps on coming and with a couple of snow storms in early jan and in feb.

I think will have to watch out for next Tuesday. Looks pretty warm and meager on the back-side of this system but might be able to pull in enough cold air ecp if it closes off for some snow across lower Lakes. We have had snow in April before. Not all that to uncommon.

Get over it, winter's over.

• Like 1

Feels great to look at the models today.  The latest Euro has upper 40s tomorrow, with light wind so it will be ok, but then upper 50s to upper 60s through day 9.  That's more like it.  I can finally get my dormant geraniums potted up and growing outside and get some other potted plants outside to make room for new seedlings.  The grass should be also growing a bit by the end of the period.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Reached 45° earlier today. Been a gloomy day, but have to expect those in early April. 

Grass should definitely be greening up next week with the predicted temperatures! I would say winter ended early, the last full week of March.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

was reading an interested article on the weather centre and we might be looking at a potenally major storm system that might be over the lower great lakes and ohio valley and this big storm could be negative tilted storm so that is telling that we might be looking at a major tornado outbreak and potentiality volient tornado outbreak (april 10 thru the 14th) (also this might have two with it).

was reading an interested article on the weather centre and we might be looking at a potenally major storm system that might be over the lower great lakes and ohio valley and this big storm could be negative tilted storm so that is telling that we might be looking at a major tornado outbreak and potentiality volient tornado outbreak.

When?

was reading an interested article on the weather centre and we might be looking at a potenally major storm system that might be over the lower great lakes and ohio valley and this big storm could be negative tilted storm so that is telling that we might be looking at a major tornado outbreak and potentiality volient tornado outbreak (april 10 thru the 14th).

is this what you are talking about?

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller/data/gfs/06/gfs_namer_192_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

is this what you are talking about?

That looks interesting. Warm moist air, a flow out of the desert SW, some cooler air to the north. Little far out to say for sure, but it might be worth watching. 

Little chilly this morning at 29°, but already up to 41°.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller/data/gfs/12/gfs_namer_204_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

My goodness. Iowa gets crushed. That'd be severe wx from Eastern Nebraska and on East towards Chicago and Milwaukee. Bring it on. We live for this out here. I'd be ecstatic to have a day within this next week to go chasing, didn't really have so much luck last year. It almost seems we're due for a huge year of storms out here.

NEJeremy I saw that as well. Severe wx then possibly snow a few days later if I'm reading it correctly. That'd be insane. Hopefully Tom can post the maps for us.

My goodness. Iowa gets crushed. That'd be severe wx from Eastern Nebraska and on East towards Chicago and Milwaukee. Bring it on. We live for this out here. I'd be ecstatic to have a day within this next week to go chasing, didn't really have so much luck last year. It almost seems we're due for a huge year of storms out here.

NEJeremy I saw that as well. Severe wx then possibly snow a few days later if I'm reading it correctly. That'd be insane. Hopefully Tom can post the maps for us.

severe weather is in the cards for this one as the primary source with this storm.

There's actually very little snow with that storm system above^. Most of the precipitation comes is before the 0°C 850mb line crosses into the rain shield. 

Should be a good soaker though.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Here is the 12z GGEM snowfall map...

Back to back runs on the GFS are showing a NW Flow and a much chillier look in the region.  CFSv2 has now flipped back to a colder regime Week 1-2 and beyond.  Canada really fills up with some cold air during this period.  Meanwhile, the west coast ridge takes hold which has been the predominant weather pattern since the Fall.

EURO/GFS showing a good setup for severe weather next Sunday.