November 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

TigerWoodsLibido

Don't forget about Fall Back tonight, which means it gets dark ridiculously early tomorrow night. To add to the insult, tomorrow is the earliest solar noon of the year everywhere thanks to the Equation of Time maxing out. Down in California that means a sunset of 4:56 PM. For Portland it's 4:55 PM and for Seattle it's 4:48 PM.

Compare this to February 7 of next year, which is about the same length of day, but the sunset is about 31 minutes later everywhere. So is the sunrise, however.

BC has introduced legislation to do away with the time change. Would be helpful if Washington, Oregon and California followed suit
  • Like 1

Blocking still dominant but it can cut both ways... it can't always mean a deep trough in the West.

Why? That's not fair! That's not what you're supposed to tell us! Think of the wishcasters! Think of all their hopes and dreams you just squashed to DEATH! C'MON!!!!

6z GFS in 3 hours? ... I have no idea... Starts at 2:28 AM, but now that newfangled fancy time-change thingy, sooo.... Fancy D**n people with their D**n fancy clocks.

BC has introduced legislation to do away with the time change. Would be helpful if Washington, Oregon and California followed suit

Bad idea IMO.  This far north you end up with a huge problem of getting light VERY late in the morning during the winter.  It makes it hard for some people (like me) to get up in the morning.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'm not sure if it's been discussed or not, but OLM ended up only missing their coldest October by a mere 0.4 F this year.  That is pretty big stuff when you have years like 1946 and 1949 as competition.  In all they have only had 5 Octobers average below 48 in their period of record.

1946- major November snowstorm and a solidly cold / snowy Jan

1949- epic Jan

1970- all around solid winter

1972- epic December cold spell and a decent Jan

2019- we shall see!

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The public vote was over 90% in favor of doing away with the time change

I like it the way it is.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

One weird thing about the area I live in is the way the min temps stay the same during a clear episode like this during the cold season.  My low temps are about the same now as when the cold air mass was in place in spite of SEA, OLM, and others warming significantly since then.  My low temp today was 11 degrees lower than SEA, and only one degree above the station of the gods!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Phil - stil feeling big November for the West?

I still think something interesting is possible this month.  The real fun is probably going to wait until Dec or Jan though.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Bad idea IMO.  This far north you end up with a huge problem of getting light VERY late in the morning during the winter.  It makes it hard for some people (like me) to get up in the morning.

I like sticking with things the way they are. I like the traditions we have. I grew up accustomed to Spring Ahead >, Fall Back <. it was never an issue. negatively affected my life in any way. i appreciate both the fall and winter with longer nights arrival of just as much enjoy days warmth spring comes moving into summer. don know why all our traditions have to change.>

• Like 1

I like sticking with things the way they are. I like the traditions we have. I grew up accustomed to Spring Ahead >, Fall Back <. it was never an issue. negatively affected my life in any way. i appreciate both the fall and winter with longer nights arrival of just as much enjoy days warmth spring comes moving into summer. don know why all our traditions have to change.>

Everything must change, every ******* thing apparently! Change is not always good, but our new society disagrees.... change is death for many things, it is happening everywhere, #disappointed, rant over.

• Like 1

Everything must change, every f***** thing apparently! Change is not always good, but our new society disagrees.... change is death for many things, it is happening everywhere, #disappointed, rant over.

You nailed it.  It would be nice to have one thing stay the same.  I guess we are the true definition of conservative. 

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I just ran the rankings for the 40 coldest Februaries and 40 coldest Octobers since 1895 for the Puget Sound Lowlands and came up with a list of years that were in both groups.  Pretty surprising results.  The following are all of the years that made the cut since 1900.

Most of these winters went to have varying degrees of greatness with 1969 being the only total dud and 2001 being ho hum, except the North Interior of WA.  I would take my chances with this list any day.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Down to 37 with a bit of fog out there. Yesterday ended up being a 54\38 day. Boring weather pattern but the sun rises and sun sets have been fantastic. Looks like the rain might show up in a week or so finally?

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Everything must change, every f***** thing apparently! Change is not always good, but our new society disagrees.... change is death for many things, it is happening everywhere, #disappointed, rant over.

The only thing that is constant in life is change.    

Everything is changing all the time... the universe, our planet, climate, people.   Its just a fact of life.    

We are told at work that those who embrace change will thrive and those who fear change will wither.  

Changing the clocks is something that is relatively recent in human history.   So maybe not changing the clocks is going back to the good 'old days?   ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Down to 37 with a bit of fog out there. Yesterday ended up being a 54\38 day. Boring weather pattern but the sun rises and sun sets have been fantastic. Looks like the rain might show up in a week or so finally?

I was in Central WA yesterday and the sunset was probably the prettiest I have ever seen.  It looked like the sky was on fire.

Still dropping to freezing at night IMBY so that's something at least.  Dull / mild Novembers are pretty common after great Octobers oddly enough.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Some pre-dawn ground fog in the valley this morning... you can see the tops of trees sticking up through the fog.

nb-11-2.png

I can't wait to see that camera when North Bend is buried in snow on a clear 20 degree day.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Models come out an hour earlier now!  

The greatest argument for standard time right there!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I can't wait to see that camera when North Bend is buried in snow on a clear 20 degree day.

Here was 2/6/19....

nb-2-5.png

Also found this one that I posted from my living room on the morning of 2/5/19...

20190205-091858.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yeah I'm with Jim. No stupid daylight savings. Bu i seems we are moving in he other direction. We will adjust I suppose. 

Nice morning, a bit warmer again. 36 for a low. Looks like Eugene hit 28 on he 5 min obs and SLE hit freezing. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

The only thing that is constant in life is change.

Everything is changing all the time... the universe, our planet, climate, people. Its just a fact of life.

We are told at work that those who embrace change will thrive and those who fear change will wither.

Changing the clocks is something that is relatively recent in human history. So maybe not changing the clocks is going back to the good 'old days? ;)

I wasn't talking about clocks.

Yeah I'm with Jim. No stupid daylight savings. Bu i seems we are moving in he other direction. We will adjust I suppose.

Nice morning, a bit warmer again. 36 for a low. Looks like Eugene hit 28 on he 5 min obs and SLE hit freezing.

Looks like the “T” key on your keyboard isn’t working well.
  • Like 2