May 2023 Observations and Discussion

Tom

2 hours ago, Clinton said:

This looks similar to what we saw several times over the Winter months that delivered some storms, lets hope this time it creates a battle zone for some storms to roll over some of the areas that desperately need some rain. 

500h_anom.na.png

This is precisely what I have been envisioning as the troughs roll into the west and underneath the blocking up in Canada.  I really hope to see a lot of the bread basket of the nation to reel in some much need rains as we flip into JUNE.  Hope you score my friend!

• Thanks 1

We are heading into an unusually "cooler" weather pattern next week as a cut off trough moves over head ushering in breezy conditions and temps in the low 90's mid week!  Wonderful temps for this time of year when you can easily see highs in the 100's, but not this year!

@Clinton, just like you mentioned in your previous post, this pattern continues to repeat just like we saw back in the Winter months.  I mean, how many times did we see troughs slide down the west coast and then track into the SW/4 corners?  This is like the "up-teenth" time since the Autumn...#cycles

1.gif

• Like 3

84 high today and no rain in sight.  It’s been almost 2 weeks.  Today will be our “coolest” day of the next 5 or 6 at least.  Boys are already in the pool at 10:30 am.   Reminds of 2001 Memorial Day weekend.  Or maybe 2000.  Can’t quite remember the year.   We drove up to the northern lower peninsula and it was around 90 degrees that year.  Of course Higgins lake was only in the 40’s so not much relief.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tom said:

We are heading into an unusually "cooler" weather pattern next week as a cut off trough moves over head ushering in breezy conditions and temps in the low 90's mid week!  Wonderful temps for this time of year when you can easily see highs in the 100's, but not this year!

@Clinton, just like you mentioned in your previous post, this pattern continues to repeat just like we saw back in the Winter months.  I mean, how many times did we see troughs slide down the west coast and then track into the SW/4 corners?  This is like the "up-teenth" time since the Autumn...#cycles

1.gif

It looks to continue reloading for the forseeable future, too. Split-flow for days across the Pacific.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Stacsh said:

84 high today and no rain in sight.  It’s been almost 2 weeks.  Today will be our “coolest” day of the next 5 or 6 at least.  Boys are already in the pool at 10:30 am.   Reminds of 2001 Memorial Day weekend.  Or maybe 2000.  Can’t quite remember the year.   We drove up to the northern lower peninsula and it was around 90 degrees that year.  Of course Higgins lake was only in the 40’s so not much relief.  

Same here, just a horrible  May.  Last real rain was 17 days ago.  I got missed by mid month rains others got here. .90 in May from the 1st week. Pollen of all kinds laying on ground  and never goes away, worst allergies  of my life. Pollen and dust makes mowing almost  impossible.  Have watered garden  14 times. I have planted 130 trees of all varieties, no doubt some would be dead without  paying these huge water bills (possibly  300$ in May).Almost daily now and 90s coming! Seriously  considering  selling out and moving back to Pennsylvania  mountains (but Im too old).  Id like to know how often Ottumwa  been on drought monitor  since june 2012?  Relentless  dry growing  seasons. Occasionally  wet. And please my friends  dont tell me this is normal for this area, I well know the 60 yr normals.  This happened in 1930s and 1950s. Attached   a lawn pic from  6 days ago, all much worse now!

Screenshot_20230529_055347_Gallery.jpg

• Sad 7

I came across this story of a late May snowstorm.

The Nearly Forgotten Snow Storm of May 27-29, 1947
Jeff Boyne, NWS La Crosse Climate Services Focal Point

Through the years, this late season snow storm has been purged from memories of many people in northeast Iowa, southeast Minnesota, and western Wisconsin. Maybe it is that people do not want to think about snow in late May or that the snow quickly melted, but very few remember this storm. If it was not for this author stumbling upon a 9 inch snow amount in Viroqua, Wisconsin this reminder that snow storms can occur this late in the spring in the Upper Mississippi Valley may have never been written.

On the morning of May 27, 1947, a developing low pressure system was located over central Nevada. It was this low which would be responsible for the snow storm over the Central Plains, Upper Mississippi Valley, and Upper Michigan from May 27th through May 29th. A strong arctic high pressure system was located over the Mackenzie Basin in northwest Canada. This high would provide the cold air needed for a winter storm to develop. A mixture of rain and snow developed over Colorado and Wyoming during the day on May 27th and changed to all snow during the night as the low deepened and moved slowly east through southern Colorado.

On the morning of the 28th, the high pressure center had moved rapidly south to southern Saskatchewan. This high pressure area brought unprecedented cold for late May to North Dakota. Temperatures fell to as low as 15°F at Eckman, which is located near the Canadian border. In addition, the mercury fell to 23°F at Bismarck which is the lowest ever recorded there after May 20th. Meanwhile, below freezing temperatures were found across Montana, Wyoming, northeastern Colorado, western Nebraska, northern Minnesota, and western South Dakota. The sub freezing temperatures caused a partial to total loss of fruits and tender plants. During the day, this cold air surged southward across eastern Nebraska, eastern South Dakota, Iowa, southern Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Many cold maximum temperatures were established across the region for the day.

At the same time this was occurring, the area of low pressure was continuing to strengthen as it moved east through southern Kansas. From the evening of the 27th through the 28th, this low produced a 6-12″ snow band from southeast Wyoming east across northern Nebraska into northwest Iowa. The heaviest snow in this band was found in Alliance and Harrison, Nebraska where 12″ had fallen. The weight from the heavy wet snow caused considerable damage to power lines, telephone lines, telegraph lines, trees, and shrubs.

During the late afternoon and evening of May 28th, the surface low began to move northeast across northern Missouri, northwest Illinois, and southeast Wisconsin. The reason for this change in direction was due to a strong upper level disturbance that had dropped into the base of the upper level trough over Nebraska during the day. This upper level disturbance caused an amplification of the upper level ridge over the Ohio Valley and much of New England. As a result, temperatures in this region climbed into the 80s instead of the 50s and 60s which were seen the day before. However on the cold side of the system, temperatures remained in the 30s and 40s in the Upper Mississippi Valley. In addition to the cold temperatures, rain changed to snow across southern Minnesota, northeast Iowa, and across much of Wisconsin. This was the latest snow ever reported in a season in this area, with some places experiencing their biggest May snow storm on record.

From the late afternoon of the 28th into the early morning hours of the 29th, 7-10″ of snow fell across Allamakee County in northeast Iowa, and Vernon, Crawford, southern Monroe, and Richland Counties in southwest Wisconsin. The heaviest snowfall amount was 10″ in Gays Mills, WI. Meanwhile, a 7-9″ band of snow fell across northern Adams, Waushara, Winnebago, Outagamie, and Waupaca Counties in central and east central Wisconsin. The weight of the heavy snow caused severe damage to power lines, telephone lines, bushes, and trees.

• Like 5

The official H/L at Grand Rapids yesterday was 80/49 there was 60% of possible sunshine. There was no rain fall and no Heating or Cooling Degree Days. For today the average H/L is 74/53 the record high of 93 was set in 2018 and the record low of 35 was set in 1966 the record rain fall amount of 0.80” fell in 1916.

The week ahead looks to be much warmer than average and mostly if not completely dry. Highs look to be mostly in the upper 80’s with a 90 or two tossed in for good measure. While highs that warm are not a every year occurrence they are not unheard of either. Record highs in the next week are in the low to mid 90’s and in June 1st the record high is a whopping 102. Being this dry in May is much less common than highs in the upper 80’s to low 90’s With low dew points it should not feel too bad outside but it will be hot in the sun for sure.

1 hour ago, westMJim said:

The official H/L at Grand Rapids yesterday was 80/49 there was 60% of possible sunshine. There was no rain fall and no Heating or Cooling Degree Days. For today the average H/L is 74/53 the record high of 93 was set in 2018 and the record low of 35 was set in 1966 the record rain fall amount of 0.80” fell in 1916.

The week ahead looks to be much warmer than average and mostly if not completely dry. Highs look to be mostly in the upper 80’s with a 90 or two tossed in for good measure. While highs that warm are not a every year occurrence they are not unheard of either. Record highs in the next week are in the low to mid 90’s and in June 1st the record high is a whopping 102. Being this dry in May is much less common than highs in the upper 80’s to low 90’s With low dew points it should not feel too bad outside but it will be hot in the sun for sure.

I’m sitting out on the back patio with a Diet Coke watching the boys play in the pool at 10:00 am.  Unusual for late may lol.  Feels like July.   Low 90’s by the end of the week will sure feel hot.  And with dry ground i don’t  doubt those temps.  

3 hours ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

Same here, just a horrible  May.  Last real rain was 17 days ago.  I got missed by mid month rains others got here. .90 in May from the 1st week. Pollen of all kinds laying on ground  and never goes away, worst allergies  of my life. Pollen and dust makes mowing almost  impossible.  Have watered garden  14 times. I have planted 130 trees of all varieties, no doubt some would be dead without  paying these huge water bills (possibly  300$ in May).Almost daily now and 90s coming! Seriously  considering  selling out and moving back to Pennsylvania  mountains (but Im too old).  Id like to know how often Ottumwa  been on drought monitor  since june 2012?  Relentless  dry growing  seasons. Occasionally  wet. And please my friends  dont tell me this is normal for this area, I well know the 60 yr normals.  This happened in 1930s and 1950s. Attached   a lawn pic from  6 days ago, all much worse now!

Screenshot_20230529_055347_Gallery.jpg

I have about 3/4 acre of lawn.  I’m not watering it this year.  Just my garden and some flower areas.   I’m over it.  Lake Michigan water levels will likely continue to drop.   River flow is dropping rapidly.  

• Like 1

I hope everyone is having a relaxing Memorial Day holiday. Today we may hit 80 for some lower spots in the county for the 1st time since May 12th. A bit cooler tomorrow before a nice warming trend brings us well into the 80's by Friday. Cooler again by next weekend. No rain of course - we are now a whopping 6.42" below normal or 67% of normal rainfall for the year. The many farmers here in East Nantmeal Township are hoping for better days with the calendar change to June! 🤞🤞🤞
Records for today: High 92 (1969) / Low 35 (1949) / Rain 3.05" (1990)
image.png.10fed088b2ecdb9fd6cdc71a56457678.png

All historical weather data analytics posted by me is specifically for the climate of Chester County PA.  We continually analyze the actual raw non-adjusted NWS certified Coop observed climate data for Chester County.  There have been no post observation adjustments to any of the detailed analytics. All data is sourced from trained NWS observers and spotters. The life blood of science is to challenge what is thought to be known. The concept that climate change etc. is somehow “settled science” describes a religion - a belief system that does not welcome challenges. We should all continue to challenge science!    Snow Totals 2023/24 = 24.5" -  11/28 (0.3") / 12/7 (0.8") / 12/11 (0.8") / 1/6 (2.0") / 1/16 (2.8") / 1/19 (4.5") / 2/13 (10.5") / 2/17 (2.8")

Average Chester County PA Snow at elevations over 660 FT ASL (1983-Present) = 35.9" Snow totals by season: 2022/23 (2.7") /2021/22 (20.5")  2020/21 snow  (52.2") /  2019/20 snow (5.8" )/ 2018/19 snow (35.1" )/ 2017/18 snow (58.5") / 2016/17 snow (24.0")/ 2015/16 snow (40.8")/ 2014/15 snow = (55.3") /2013/14 snow (80.0").

Check out the historical Western Chester County PA website at https://www.chescowx.com.  Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/ChescoWx and join us on the #1 social media source for all things Chester County weather on the Chester County Weather Page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/chescowx

National Weather Service  SKYWARN® Trained Spotter CHPA-174

Talked to some relatives and friends this morning at our Memorial Day service at the local cemetery here. Some were from Lincoln and Omaha. They just can’t believe how green everything is as you drive west towards our area. They said the drought is just horrendous from Lincoln to Omaha, but they said Omaha is worse. Parts of Southwest Nebraska are over 10” for May, as eastern Nebraska suffers. We have had 4-6” in my area so far in May. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Talked to some relatives and friends this morning at our Memorial Day service at the local cemetery here. Some were from Lincoln and Omaha. They just can’t believe how green everything is as you drive west towards our area. They said the drought is just horrendous from Lincoln to Omaha, but they said Omaha is worse. Parts of Southwest Nebraska are over 10” for May, as eastern Nebraska suffers. We have had 4-6” in my area so far in May. 

1 hour ago, CentralNebWeather said:

They call it an O-May-ga block.

• Sad 1

Heavy rain went directly over DFW. Pick up some good rain and dropped from 87 to 69.  
Awesome out there!  And we needed the rain. I’ll guess we received about 1/3”, maybe a bit more. 

• Like 3

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

9 hours ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

They call it an O-May-ga block.

Whatever it is, it really needs to go away… 0.17” of rain so far this month (4” below average) and now it’s been 3 weeks since I have seen measurable rain in my backyard. There might as well be a wall out to our west blocking rain and storms from moving in, everything just evaporates into nothing by the time it gets here.

We have seen awful weather patterns around here over the years, however this one is by far the worst I have ever experienced.

• Like 2

The official H/L yesterday was 86/52 there was no rain fall and there was 92% of possible sunshine. With the lack of rain and all this sunshine it has become very dry. Driving around the area you can see a lot of brown grass. There were no HDD’s yesterday and 4 CDD’s . For today the average H/L is 75/54 the record high of 92 was set in 1919 and the record low of 35 was set in 1965 and 1996. The record rain fall of 1.91” fell in 1989.

This week looks to be very warm to hot with a very slight chance of rain fall. Highs look to be in the upper 80’s to low 90’s While it is rather uncommon for it to get this warm in late May and the start of June there in only a very small chance of any records being set. The record highs at Grand Rapid for today is 92, For Wednesday it is 95 for Thursday it is 102, for Friday it is 95 and for Saturday it is 96.

• Like 1

It's getting old already watering plants about daily. Low humidity is comfy, but also dries things out and doesn't help produce any rain. Can't imagine how much worse it would be without the good rains a few weeks ago, or how dry it was here in May and June of 1992! Actually I can imagine. Ha 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Stacsh said:

If it rains the next few days our only chance is a Lake Michigan afternoon lake breeze.  Although unlikely, not impossible,  but the odds are akin to hitting the lottery.  

The 20-30% chances of rain here this coming week only seem like small glimmers of hope here as things keep drying up… it is very hard to break dry patterns like this and unfortunately I can see the drought areas in Nebraska and Kansas continuing to rapidly expand eastward.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Got about 0.40” last night with the line of storms that rolled through. Would have thought it was more, but still a nice rain. Many chances in the next week. Would love to see several inches in a storm, but I’ll say these rains have come at a good intensity where it doesn’t run off. 

Garden variety rains are the best as the allow to soak into the grounds...it wasn't long ago you were worried but nature had other plans for your area...are the farmers in KS excited for all these rains?  I think winter wheat is a common crop in that region.  Are they having a bad harvest this year?  Maybe they will make it up in corn this summer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

Garden variety rains are the best as the allow to soak into the grounds...it wasn't long ago you were worried but nature had other plans for your area...are the farmers in KS excited for all these rains?  I think winter wheat is a common crop in that region.  Are they having a bad harvest this year?  Maybe they will make it up in corn this summer.

Kansas is doing well. Yes that it wheat country. Very little wheat around here, we are primarily corn and soybeans. Crop is just coming up now, and everything looks amazing. It is so sad of the lack of rain in eastern Nebraska. 

• Like 1

A couple sunny but cooler than normal days to finish out the month of May. We will finish this month as one of the 20 coldest May month's since record keeping began back in 1888. We should see a warming trend with highs well into the 80's both Thursday and Friday before another backdoor cold front knocks temps down again for next weekend.
Records for today: High 94 (1942) / Low 37 (1961) / Rain 2.12" (1971)
image.png.166a411ac27eb65fc5c814c7af2e7f09.png

All historical weather data analytics posted by me is specifically for the climate of Chester County PA.  We continually analyze the actual raw non-adjusted NWS certified Coop observed climate data for Chester County.  There have been no post observation adjustments to any of the detailed analytics. All data is sourced from trained NWS observers and spotters. The life blood of science is to challenge what is thought to be known. The concept that climate change etc. is somehow “settled science” describes a religion - a belief system that does not welcome challenges. We should all continue to challenge science!    Snow Totals 2023/24 = 24.5" -  11/28 (0.3") / 12/7 (0.8") / 12/11 (0.8") / 1/6 (2.0") / 1/16 (2.8") / 1/19 (4.5") / 2/13 (10.5") / 2/17 (2.8")

Average Chester County PA Snow at elevations over 660 FT ASL (1983-Present) = 35.9" Snow totals by season: 2022/23 (2.7") /2021/22 (20.5")  2020/21 snow  (52.2") /  2019/20 snow (5.8" )/ 2018/19 snow (35.1" )/ 2017/18 snow (58.5") / 2016/17 snow (24.0")/ 2015/16 snow (40.8")/ 2014/15 snow = (55.3") /2013/14 snow (80.0").

Check out the historical Western Chester County PA website at https://www.chescowx.com.  Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/ChescoWx and join us on the #1 social media source for all things Chester County weather on the Chester County Weather Page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/chescowx

National Weather Service  SKYWARN® Trained Spotter CHPA-174

8 hours ago, Stormy said:

DVN had a graphic showing an expected flash drought developing. Here's a different graphic from a few days ago. 

FxKdfYRakAAB9Sd.jpeg

You notice the little hook where part  of se not on the flash  drought map? Thats because  its not a "flash drought" here! Its been dry. Desmoines  has 3.34" in May and theyre crying?   Lol .90 in all of May here.  And only .3 or .4 just to my south. Dire situation. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

You notice the little hook where part  of se not on the flash  drought map? Thats because  its not a "flash drought" here! Its been dry. Desmoines  has 3.34" in May and theyre crying?   Lol .90 in all of May here.  And only .3 or .4 just to my south. Dire situation. 

Des Moines is doing wonderful compared to Eastern Nebraska and Southern Iowa… crazy that it’s looking VERY likely we will finish with 0.17” of rain for the month of May here (unless we get a miracle shower or thunderstorm to pop up around here).

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

I will finish May with 2.17" of rain.  Much of that fell during the first week, so there has been no real rain in three weeks.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

It’s great to see the drought in Texas abate but our northern neighbors are inheriting the problem just when crops are in need. 

84F4CD62-9157-46D5-B29B-C9F7ED18FF36.jpeg

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I'll add to the growing chorus of folks who have hardly seen any rainfall lately. 1.28 inches recorded at FSD, almost half of which fell in one day. 3.57 inches is our normal rainfall for May. No good.

It's also been consistently warm with a high of 93 today. We are running almost +6 on the month. We've had practically no quality thunderstorms either besides some occasional rumbles of thunder. Just hot, dry, and boring.

• Like 5

With a high of 92 Muskegon set a new record high for May 30th the old record of 90 was set in 2018. At Grand Rapids and Lansing, the high was 90 that is the 2nd warmest reading at Grand Rapids and the 3 warmest at Lansing so over all a very hot late May day. The overnight low here in MBY so far is a warm 65 the official low so far is 64.

For today the average H/L is 75/54 the record high of 95 was set in 1934 and the record low of 36 was set in 1966. The record rain fall of 1.37” fell in 1909. The next 4 days look to continue to be hot and maybe dry. There is a 30% chance of a thunderstorm today and around a 20% chance tomorrow. Highs look to be around 90 until Sunday before cooling down.

• Like 1
  • Sun 1

52 minutes ago, Clinton said:

An area of heavy thunderstorms has stalled in eastern Kansas and has dropped 2-6 inches of rain @Jayhawker85 hope your getting a good drink.  Hope this makes it my way this afternoon.

350245092_267380089014721_577565806821161456_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p280x280&_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=5So5LUWJcBkAX-RqdF9&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.xx&edm=AEDRbFQEAAAA&oh=00_AfA-puhNSxenwpeCTG9UvoL1vD4IpR1KekI5yP797MCvtA&oe=647B2BDF

I noticed quite a few flash flood warnings in ne. KS. from nearly stationary storms. 

• Rain 1