Northern Italy Copes With Historic Flooding

Venice floods regularly. it was built on a wetlands in the 5th century and has been build upon since, but this winter has delivered the second worst flooding in their history.

I looked into living in Venice for about 6 months in order to study and write but life happened, as they say, and I had to stay in Texas for family.

Being in Venice is like living in a work of art, a museum. Every step is art, and historic culture. Sadly, it has critical structural damage and vulnerability. One hundred years from now, if they don't step in and save it, we will see the St. Mark's Square area ( the lowest ) beyond repair. It must be preserved.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/13/waves-in-st-marks-square-as-venice-flooded-highest-tide-in-50-years

IMG_4005.JPG

IMG_4002.JPG

IMG_4003.JPG

IMG_4007.JPG

IMG_4008.JPG

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

World heritage is under attack from flooding and tourism.

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/Flooded-Venice-had-tourists-taking-selfies-14836076.php

"Venice has thrived since the fifth century by taming the water all around it. In recent decades, even as the land has been sinking while the sea level has been rising, many Venetians figured the city would again find a way to evolve and hang on. But one major flood after the next is testing that faith, and a major civil engineering project to protect the city remains unfinished, slowed by corruption scandals, and might already be obsolete.

The city is endangered - not just as a tourist destination, but for the 50,000 people who continue to live in Venice year-round, and who know the water well enough to describe in detail how it is changing and becoming more threatening.

Piana ( head of restoration St. Mark's ) said at the peak of the flooding on Tuesday night, parts of the church were covered in a foot of water, and the days since then had been "chaos."

He described the church as a fragile beauty - covered nearly from ceiling to floor with mosaic of gold and marble. Parts of the flooring, uneven as a wave, date back to 1094. Even before this week, work was underway to remove salt from marble pillars.

"I'm worried," Piana said. "I'm worried for the basilica.

"The acqua alta does not create immediate, obvious damages. On the outside, you do not immediately see anything. But it is comparable to radiation exposure. In a week, you lose your hair. In a year, you might be dead."

Venice suffers from an overflow of tourists. The trampling of fragile tiles in St. Mark's on its rippling floors is harming it from the ground up. Salt from former floods is undermining the fragile terrazzo. It's like touching and man handling the Mona Lisa.

The only solution will be to limit tourism and address the flooding through engineering. If they want it to live into the future they will have to step up and protect it.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Caught an article that said the flooding peaked yesterday, but citizens and officials are very concerned about the long term damage and outlook, especially for the area around St. Mark's Square which is lowest. All of the floors done in marble and terrazzo are at risk of movement as the salt will invade the areas under the tile. They've fought it for generations.

The basement of the Cathedral has been flooded the most and is in critical shape. The famous Bell Tower has already had to be restore to vertical. There is a project that many want, many are concerned about regarding environmental concerns called Mose (Moses) that is supposed to stop these floods. But it's on hold.

https://www.water-technology.net/projects/mose-project/

• Like 1

Heavy rains have continued to force the Arno River to rise.

Florence, Italy, west and down river from Venice, has risen to near over flow levels. Florence is on an Orange alert for preparing for flooding into the city. Florence last experienced severe flooding in 1966 and 1957.

IMG_4012.JPG

• Like 1

At a Glance

Officials said 70 percent of Venice, Italy, was flooded Monday as strong winds drove water into the lagoon city.

The city normally experiences flooding, but these were the highest levels in nearly a decade.

The flooding was so extreme because of a strong low-pressure system that brought nasty weather to southern Europe.

The storms were responsible for at least six deaths in Italy.

All of Northern Italy is experiencing historic rains, flooding and damage. This one will go down in the history books with the larger floods on record.

IMG_4016.JPG

IMG_4014.JPG

Adriatic coast flood zones

IMG_4015.JPG

The Tiber River out of its banks.

The Low that sat over northern Italy continues to flood all rivers.

A section of the embankment of the River Arno in central Florence collapsed on Wednesday morning, sending part of the road and at least 20 parked cars into a newly formed ditch.

The collapse took place very close to the famous Ponte Vecchio, a medieval covered bridge over the Arno.

The hole is about 200m (650ft) in length and 7m (23ft) across.

IMG_4018.JPG

IMG_4017.JPG

The Low that has been delivering so much rain and flooding is still hovering over the Adriatic.

Heavy flooding and damage exists from Venice to Genoa. Rivers, lakes, roads, and cities have been overcome by flooding and mudslides.

This occurs every 25-50 yrs. there are long records of this, but it doesn't make living or recovering with it any easier.

• Like 1

The weather in southern Austria is very bad in terms of flooding. At higher elevations snow is blocking roads. The Low continues to grind over south Central Europe delivering far too much water for the land and rivers to handle. It's a disaster.

IMG_4020.JPG

IMG_4021.JPG

Österreich/ Austria

• Like 1

Snow in the Italian Alps isn't news, but snow to this degree and flooding in the lower areas is news. Anyone that has ever flown overt he Italian/French Alps has surely been impressed by them. To hear Mets express concern about avalanches and flooding so early is worthy of note.

https://www.severe-weather.eu/mcd/extreme-rainfall-flooding-western-alps-mk/

The overall pattern across Europe reveals a very large upper trough / low with a broad surface low moving from the Bay of Biscay into France and the western Mediterranean, while a strong upper-level ridge persists across eastern Europe and western Russia. A powerful jet stream rounds the base of the trough, resulting in large scale ascent towards the western Alps with strong low-level moisture and warm airmass advection towards the SE France and NW Italy.

IMG_4031.JPG

IMG_4032.PNG

Extended list of flooding in Euope this year.

http://floodlist.com/europe

Pretty significant. One has to ask if this is partly due to population growth and construction with more hard surfaces built and less land to absorb moisture, or is it weather changing? Some might ask is it climate? I'll leave that to weather/climate people. Is it simply a pattern?

But this has been a bumper year for floods in Europe and Russia. Browse a few pages. 2019 has been quite a year.

Snow in the Italian Alps isn't news, but snow to this degree and flooding in the lower areas is news. Anyone that has ever flown overt he Italian/French Alps has surely been impressed by them. To hear Mets express concern about avalanches and flooding so early is worthy of note.

https://www.severe-weather.eu/mcd/extreme-rainfall-flooding-western-alps-mk/

The overall pattern across Europe reveals a very large upper trough / low with a broad surface low moving from the Bay of Biscay into France and the western Mediterranean, while a strong upper-level ridge persists across eastern Europe and western Russia. A powerful jet stream rounds the base of the trough, resulting in large scale ascent towards the western Alps with strong low-level moisture and warm airmass advection towards the SE France and NW Italy.

attachicon.gifIMG_4031.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4032.PNG

That's quite a bit of snow.

• Like 1