Pacific Northwest Weather - May 2023

39 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

We were thinking about keeping things fresh with a seasonal theme change for the site so I present to you...

The Weather Forums - Spring Edition!

At the start of each season we will change to a new color scheme that gives off the vibes of that season. So we will be sticking with this spring version until the end of June or so. Figure this will keep the website timely and also add a bit of fun to the kind of mundane blue/white/gray color scheme we usually go for. 

Please let me know if any portion of the site looks funky color wise and I will correct it. Also feel free to drop some constructive criticism/comments if you have any. Kind of a new venture so open to feedback. 

I opened up the browser to see what people are talking about and all the colors changed 😳 I thought I was at a different website or someone hacked the site 🤣🤣 Looks good 🤗

• Like 3

The colors help with contrasting things like quotes. I like it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I thought I would post a Satellite picture and the observation for Troutdale. Skies are clearing and temperatures are rising. We need to watch what is happening to the Southeast for the Portland area. If the models are correct, thunderstorms will be firing up later this afternoon into the evening hours. Let's hope they are right 🤗⛈️

G18_sector_pnw_GEOCOLOR_24fr_20230503-1340.gif

Screenshot_20230503_104220_Chrome.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Phishy Wx said:

yeah I got bored with the wx when we lived in Long Beach.  Got up to the Sierra as much as possible in the winter.  Came to EWA and while generally boring in Summer, at least I have winters to look forward to

I got bored with the weather in the SF Bay Area.

My boss was from LA and it was a study in opposites. Me: “It’s January, and it only rained three days this week. Doesn’t feel like winter. This sucks.” Boss: “Do you all realize that THREE DAYS this week were rainy! Three! How can anyone stand it?”

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

14 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I got bored with the weather in the SF Bay Area.

My boss was from LA and it was a study in opposites. Me: “It’s January, and it only rained three days this week. Doesn’t feel like winter. This sucks.” Boss: “Do you all realize that THREE DAYS this week were rainy! Three! How can anyone stand it?”

I lived there too, well in the Santa Cruz Mtns.  At least we got some pretty gnarly AR's in the winter.

3 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

I lived there too, well in the Santa Cruz Mtns.  At least we got some pretty gnarly AR's in the winter.

My ex was from the Zayante Canyon area above Felton, so I am familiar with that area. Those redwoods don’t grow on California sunshine alone!

10 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

My ex was from the Zayante Canyon area above Felton, so I am familiar with that area. Those redwoods don’t grow on California sunshine alone!

Redwoods actually grow on fog! They rely on marine layers and fog drip to get through the dry summer, as a result they are only found in the coastal fog belt and do not grow in the interior.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Redwoods actually grow on fog! They rely on marine layers and fog drip to get through the dry summer, as a result they are only found in the coastal fog belt and do not grow in the interior.

It’s both, actually. There never were redwoods in San Francisco (which gets plenty of fog), but Oakland and Berkeley (which get more rainfall, particularly in the hills) have them. But only at elevations where the low clouds one gets in the “flats” becomes fog. It was really quite noticeable how one started seeing redwoods in the hills at about the same time one entered the fog.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

no shiit?  I was over on Lompico ridge off Lake Blvd.  Small world.  I'd go get beer at that little store in Zayante.

• Like 1

Currently 69.4 after a low of 52. Looks like the Portland area could see quite the action later this evening into tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 48

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

Finally looking like it should for early May with today being the 6th day at 70+ degrees in the last 8 days here.

20230503_142719.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sun 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

24 minutes ago, T-Town said:

70 here. Nice day. Not sure why it would be incomprehensible that someone could enjoy interesting weather AND enjoy warm sunny days.  I like em both!!

image.gif

• Excited 1
  • lol 1
  • Weenie 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Another 70+ day in the books at SEA.    This has been way better than last year to this point.   And the models indicate more warm weather is on the way after the troughing over the next few days.    

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Sun 1
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

31 minutes ago, Ken in Wood Village said:

There are some showers popping up next to Bend. No lightning yet but in the satellite picture you can see other clouds popping up just to the Northeast of those showers. Hopefully they will turn into thunderstorms. 

CODNEXLAB-NEXRAD-RTX-N0B-20230503-2143-24-100.gif

G18_sector_pnw_GEOCOLOR_24fr_20230503-1746.gif

Screenshot_20230503_144804_Chrome.jpg

Some lightning there now

Screenshot_20230503_152226_My Lightning Tracker.jpg

• Excited 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Another 70+ day in the books at SEA.    This has been way better than last year to this point.   And the models indicate more warm weather is on the way after the troughing over the next few days.    

Related to my point above.    And likely will have several more before June 1st. 

Screenshot_20230503-162240_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sun 1

14 minutes ago, Ken in Wood Village said:

Thunderstorms are firing up 🤗⛈️ Let's hope they stay together, you can see the thunderstorms building up where I had mentioned earlier 😉🤗⛈️

CODNEXLAB-NEXRAD-RTX-N0B-20230503-2319-24-100.gif

Screenshot_20230503_162055_My Lightning Tracker Pro.jpg

G18_sector_pnw_GEOCOLOR_24fr_20230503-1921.gif

Those ones in the cascades look pretty strong

Screenshot_20230503_163806_RadarScope.jpg

• Excited 1