Pacific Northwest Weather - May 2023

2 hours ago, Cloud said:

4 straight days of record-breaking heat at SEA. May not get there today for a 5th.

The earliest 90F record will also live on. 

Yeah, looks pretty unlikely now SEA will hit 80 today, despite plenty of sun. Not even close to a record.

A forum for the end of the world.

9 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Lest we forget this did happen in 2015 during the last prolific Nino. 

image.png

Released the day after my birthday 😌

• Excited 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

45 minutes ago, MossMan said:

DANGERUSS! El Niño is going to take us all out! 
Got to love these pop up articles. 

IMG_5420.jpeg

This Nino is more dangerous than EVER!  

• Excited 1
  • Sun 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

🤮🤮🤮 I really hope this all doesn’t blow towards us at some point.

• Sick 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 48

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

4 minutes ago, Cold Snap said:

🤮🤮🤮 I really hope this all doesn’t blow towards us at some point.

Love the comment by "Phil" who appears to be from Seattle.   So it's cloudy for 7 months and then nice for 2 days and now smoke.  😀

• Excited 1
  • lol 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, MV_snow said:

You should not need to go to Pasco this Memorial Day Weekend.

Memorial Day weekend is still too far off to know... but last year it was in the 50s and raining here all 3 days.   That was pretty miserable.   Hoping for at least 60s and some sun on one of the days... that doesn't seem unreasonable. 

• Like 1
  • Shivering 2

Great day for some top golf! Can see some cloud tops out in the distance from the mountain thunderstorms.

4938418C-F990-4AFD-8C0D-742EFC3D37AA.jpeg

• Like 2

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Number of Freezes - 48

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

1 hour ago, The Cats Meow said:

Thank god!  Summer is so short around here.  The more heat we can get for longer is fine by me.

If its going to be warm then we need more frequent rain.    Like 2019.   

Our garden is going gangbusters though.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

If its going to be warm then we need more frequent rain.    Like 2019.   

Our garden is going gangbusters though.  

Everything is going absolutely nuts right now! My asparagus is popping at an incredible rate! 

Edited by MossMan
  • Snow 1
  • Downvote 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Is there overhead smoke? Sunset was more red than usual tonight.

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Number of Freezes - 48

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

8 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Spectacular day... sunny and 74 here and the air feels much less humid today.

The 12Z EPS only shows a brief cool down and then warming up again next week.   Although we should be done with record heat either.   EPS looks similar to the GEM ensemble mean.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-t850_anom_stream-1684238400-1684540800-1685232000-10.gif

Looks like our summer Bermuda High pattern is about to begin shortly, as well. 😒

Been a nice run, though. I’ll go as far as to say the last 4 weeks have delivered some of the most pleasant weather I’ve ever experienced here. Basically unbroken 70s with low humidity and some beneficial rain mixed in. Couldn’t have asked for more. Will enjoy what little of it is left.

Model runs continue to look excellent in the SW US. Positive precipitation departures over the 4-Corners and SoCal along with cooler than average temperatures over the next 15 days on both the EPS and GEFS.

Bodes well for summer, as far as that particular heat source is concerned (pattern can still deliver it other ways, of course).

• Like 4
  • Storm 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Model runs continue to look excellent in the SW US. Positive precipitation departures over the 4-Corners and SoCal along with cooler than average temperatures over the next 15 days on both the EPS and GEFS.

Bodes well for summer, as far as that particular heat source is concerned (pattern can still deliver it other ways, of course).

I’m worried about the BC high being a problem because I’m pretty sure it’s normally stronger during El Niños. Not 100% sure though.

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Number of Freezes - 48

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

Tim must not be a fan of asparagus…But name me another vegetable that makes your pee smell so unique! And it’s good for the body and soul. 
Have a very blessed evening everyone, even if your pee stinks. 

• Excited 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

8 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Tim must not be a fan of asparagus…But name me another vegetable that makes your pee smell so unique! And it’s good for the body and soul. 
Have a very blessed evening everyone, even if your pee stinks. 

My wife loves asparagus!  But our crop failed a few years ago and we never started it up again.     

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

Better than broccoli and Brussel sprouts. 

Agreed... not fan of those.   

Cooked asparagus in butter is quite good.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ken in Wood Village said:

It's a 4 alarm fire at an apartment complex in downtown Portland. I stole this picture from a news station. They also closed the freeway close to the fire.

Screenshot_20230516_131907_KPTV News.jpg

Screenshot_20230516_132148_Maps.jpg

This is really close to the Amtrak station right? Used to take the POINT often when I lived on the coast.

Today was maybe in the mid to high 70s here and was pleasant. A bit too warm for bed but it was nicer than expected.

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

50 minutes ago, LowerGarfield said:

This is really close to the Amtrak station right? Used to take the POINT often when I lived on the coast.

Today was maybe in the mid to high 70s here and was pleasant. A bit too warm for bed but it was nicer than expected.

I put a circle where the fire was. It's a long ways from the Amtrak station. 

Screenshot_20230517_000431_Maps.png

• Like 1

Guidance is universal in keeping the 4-corners region wetter than average. I expect this anomaly will expand NW-ward with time, with a similar poleward migration of the warm temperature anomaly in the western US.

It seems that, for the first time in 3 years, the interior west won’t be roasting and burning under a massive 4CH death ridge all summer.

Playing the long game with this regime.

IMG_3514.pngIMG_3515.pngIMG_3516.png

• Excited 1

Foggy morning. With smoke above according to Tyler’s satellite pic. Slightly foggy at my place and quite foggy at work. 

IMG_5423.jpeg

IMG_5424.jpeg

• Sick 1