Pacific Northwest Weather - May 2023

Like half of the EPS members have literally zero precip here for the rest of the month.

Bad, bad sign for the summer if that is anywhere close to accurate.

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

Taking a quick trip to Colorado Springs 5/27 - 5/31. Really looking forward to it, have never been.

Hit up TAPAteria for lunch. And Garden of the Gods of course. 

• Like 2

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

Clock is ticking before it turns back, though.

Worm turning is reserved for going from anomalously warm to anomalously cold or vice versa.    Not for normal weather.    I don't think we are going back to anomalously cold like we saw from February - April.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

I was wondering the same thing.   I did a search and found on LinkedIn where she is now a Grand Canyon helicopter tour pilot and it says she is based in Henderson NV.    So its possible she no longer lives in Bozeman and doesn't care to post about the weather now.   But that is pure speculation.    I was just glad to see she was OK.   

Could be wrong but thought she mentioned something about it being a temporary thing.

• Like 4

A forum for the end of the world.

Just now, Front Ranger said:

Could be wrong but thought she mentioned something about it being a temporary thing.

Ahhh... that would make much more sense than packing up and leaving Bozeman.   Maybe she is just too busy for us.

• scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

18 minutes ago, Phil said:

Taking a quick trip to Colorado Springs 5/27 - 5/31. Really looking forward to it, have never been.

Great time of year to visit. Everything has greened up and bloomed, not too hot yet (usually), and frequent thunderstorms.

Check out the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo if you get a chance, it's pretty cool.

A forum for the end of the world.

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Ahhh... that would make much more sense than packing up and leaving Bozeman.   Maybe she is just too busy for us.

How can anyone be too busy for us? Where are people’s priorities these days…Sheesh! 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

North Bend checking in at 83 with a dewpoint of 62.    I thought that dewpoint seemed high but the station near my house is exactly the same right now at 83/62.

On the visible satellite you can see the smoke extends solidly from Seattle to Minnesota and down to Missouri now.

COD-GOES-East-regional-northwest.truecolor.20230517.233117-over=map-bars=none.gif

• Sad 1
  • Sick 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Worm turning is reserved for going from anomalously warm to anomalously cold or vice versa.    Not for normal weather.    I don't think we are going back to anomalously cold like we saw from February - April.   

Yeah pattern doesn’t look like Feb-Apr. Much closer to average temperature wise, and probably wetter than average too. A lot more zonal.

But exactly when it sets in is uncertain/debatable.

• Popcorn 1

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah pattern doesn’t look like Feb-Apr. Much closer to average temperature wise, and probably wetter than average too. A lot more zonal.

But exactly when it sets in is uncertain/debatable.

Probably would set the stage for a huge green out and would save the grass if it persisted longer than a couple weeks.

Also keep in mind, a stable jet presence is a bit more unusual this time of year. Would mean cooler than normal by default.

• Like 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

5th 90 of the month at PDX with possibly more on the way later next week. Previous record was three. Just dumb.

Would be nice if we could get some decent weather between May and September without absolutely roasting/smashing multiple all time heat records any time an even slightly robust ridgy pattern develops.

Edited by Cascadia_Wx
  • Sick 1
  • Weenie 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

10 minutes ago, jcmcgaffey said:

These things ebb and flow it just takes longer these days in between ebbs and flows. It was just a month ago people were taking about the cold and rain possibly continuing through summer and comparing to 2011. 

We might have lost the 2011 comparison at this point. 

16 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

We might have lost the 2011 comparison at this point. 

Ya for sure. My point was more towards the reactions to the weather back then when it was cold and rainy for quite a while. Obviously the warmth has been winning the battle overall but I think there is hope in the fact that things will flip back from this current stretch of warm and dry weather just like it did from the cold and rainy weather. At least in the Puget sound region we have managed to keep up with average rainfall and the soil is still saturated. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BLI snowman said:

Arctic smoke front is hung up at Toledo!

The one time I wish it would have stalled at the Canadian border. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!