Pacific Northwest Weather - May 2023

9 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I’ve kind of made peace with the fact that most of the Cascade glaciers are toast. 

But the trade is 17 more water skiing days in the gorgeous King County LAKES. Sees like a great deal. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

6 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

But the trade is 17 more water skiing days in the gorgeous King County LAKES. Sees like a great deal. 

Yes!  

Although no one does waterskiing any more... its all about wake surfing.   

You seem angry that some people find ways to really enjoy our warm days.    As I have mentioned a million times... balance is good.   Rainy periods make the warm periods more enjoyable.    Just like with anything else in life, Andrew.   All good in moderation. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

11 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I’ve kind of made peace with the fact that most of the Cascade glaciers are toast. 

It turns out that many of them were artifacts of the little ice age and they were already on the way out even prior to recent round of anthropogenic climate change. Many we already shrinking in the first half of the 20th Century. Same goes for many of our old growth forests, unfortunately, as the current climate is already better suited for different species of trees than the ones that are currently 300-500 years old. 

Of course other glaciers like the larger ones on the volcanoes will be the real victims of our current era of anthropogenic climate change. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Cascades will probably be mainly ice free below 12K' by 2150 (except for maybe that sheltered currently growing glacier in the caldera of St Helens, unless it blows again)

• Like 1
  • Sick 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Phishy Wx said:

Cascades will probably be mainly ice free below 12K' by 2150 (except for maybe that sheltered currently growing glacier in the caldera of St Helens, unless it blows again)

The hydrologic cycle is going to be wild if the climate model projections are correct. Trending towards wetter winters, higher melting levels, and more extreme storms. 

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yes!  

You seem angry that some people find ways to really enjoy our warm days.    As I have mentioned a million times... balance is good.   Rainy periods make the warm periods more enjoyable.    Just like with anything else in life, Andrew.   All good in moderation. 

Climate Change is like the opioid epidemic.  we know its happening but we generally ignore it as a society and put our collective heads in the sand.  in these cases there is no such thing as 'good in moderation'

5 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

Will be a very grim 164th birthday for me :(

• Sad 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

Was pretty windy here yesterday evening. Even lost power for a few hours.  Cloudy and dry and 56F this morning.  

Many of the fire zones of BC and Alberta will be receiving heavy rain over the next couple days. Could be 1-4” in some areas

• Like 4
  • Windy 1

2 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

Climate Change is like the opioid epidemic.  we know its happening but we generally ignore it as a society and put our collective heads in the sand.  in these cases there is no such thing as 'good in moderation'

Maybe we can genetically engineer salmon to survive in warmer waters...

• Sick 2

2 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

There has always been warm days in the summer for water activities.   Even in 1954.    There definitely is good in moderation.    Its not like it has to be 48 degrees and raining all summer for the ecosystem to be healthy.     In fact that would be quite destructive except for growing glaciers.   

And the other thing that most people intuitively realize is that the climate is always changing.   We are still coming out of the LIA period which followed the medieval warm period... all natural.    I think many people also realize there are man-made factors which is why there is such a push for cleaner energy solutions.

• Downvote 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

There has always been warm days in the summer for water activities.   Even in 1954.    There definitely is good in moderation.    Its not like it has to be 48 degrees and raining all summer for the ecosystem to be healthy.     In fact that would be quite destructive except for growing glaciers.   

And the other thing that most people intuitively realize is that the climate is always changing.   We are still coming out of the LIA period which followed the medieval warm period... all natural.    I think many people also realize there are man-made factors which is why there is such a push for cleaner energy solutions.

I think you should sell your boat in the name of saving the glaciers. 

• Thanks 1
  • lol 4
  • Troll 1

1 minute ago, ShawniganLake said:

I think you should sell your boat in the name of saving the glaciers. 

The usual virtue signaling from our resident Karens... who also love to mock other people for being Karens.  😁

• Excited 1

49 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yes!  

I got into Hydrofoiling for a time back in the early 2000’s which was fun but preferred wakeboarding and skiing. I must be getting “get off my lawn” old but I find wake surfing slow and annoying. Plus the waves from those $150k boats with 10 thousand pounds of ballast (not to mention the the music from the mega speakers on the towers that just echo across the lake of either county music or rap) just slam my boat at the dock, and the rollers hitting our shoreline like we are at Ocean Shores!
And kids these days need to feel real pain…You haven’t felt real pain until you do a header while slalom skiing at 35MPH! Not falling gently doing 8MPH while going in a large circle. 

Yep I’m officially old. 

IMG_5654.jpeg

Edited by MossMan
  • Like 4

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

3 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I got into Hydrofoiling for a time back in the early 2000’s which was fun but preferred wakeboarding and skiing. I must be getting “get off my lawn” old but I find wake surfing slow and annoying. Plus the waves from those $150k boats with 10 thousand pounds of ballast (not to mention the the music from the mega speakers on the towers that just echo across the lake of either county music or rap) just slam my boat at the dock, and the rollers hitting our shoreline like we are at Ocean Shores!
And kids these days need to feel real pain…You haven’t felt real pain until you do a header while slalom skiing at 35MPH! Not falling gently doing 8MPH while going in a large circle. 

Yep I’m officially old. 

IMG_5654.jpeg

Tell us how you really feel, grandpa!  😂 

• lol 2

The fact is climo dictates there will always be plenty of summer days to enjoy all of our water.   Puget Sound, lakes, rivers.   All it takes is a sunny day that is 70+ degrees.   One of the reasons this area is such a great place to live.   

And the fact that it bothers a couple people so much makes it even more fun to talk about on here.   😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slushy Inch said:

I think that at some point we could get unstable southerly flow again. Has been showing up at some point in every ensemble run.image.thumb.png.47ac8c3730b625bbe2471a3f359c9d1f.pngimage.thumb.png.b04979436c05de37aeaecf0195df8a80.pngimage.thumb.png.2f88903f940ebabf6dcf532c98674464.png

Big time convection pattern... 00Z ECMWF showed this as well. 

• Like 2
  • Storm 1

12Z ECMWF brings in the system from west on Sunday... similar to what the GEM has been showing.   Lots of variables concerning when and where the ULLs form and meander.   At least Wednesday-Saturday should be nice.   A rainy day on Sunday will be needed.    Monday is back to dry and becoming sunny on this run.  

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

Yep I’m officially old. 

IMG_5654.jpeg

I got to play on a buddies electric E Foil last summer and it was incredible fun. No boat needed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlTahoe said:

I got to play on a buddies electric E Foil last summer and it was incredible fun. No boat needed. 

Tahoe is only for privileged elitists.    You should be ashamed for even looking at the lake.  ;)

• Excited 1
  • lol 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

SSTA comparison... last year in late May compared to now.    This summer should be different.   And anything different would be better.

2022.png

2023.png

lmao famous last words

22 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Got a sluice box when I go gold panning now. Maybe Jim can teach me to strike it rich😂

IMG_6133.jpeg

I got one of these too!and a blue wheel and a bunch of pans (including a banjo pan ha) I swear to god if jim doesn't come through on this...i will be very angry on the internet at someone I do not know!!)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

12Z ECMWF brings in the system from west on Sunday... similar to what the GEM has been showing.   Lots of variables concerning when and where the ULLs form and meander.   At least Wednesday-Saturday should be nice.   A rainy day on Sunday will be needed.    Monday is back to dry and becoming sunny on this run.  

FWIW... the 12Z EPS and control run wash out that system coming in from the west on Sunday.

41 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

lmao famous last words

I got one of these too!and a blue wheel and a bunch of pans (including a banjo pan ha) I swear to god if jim doesn't come through on this...i will be very angry on the internet at someone I do not know!!)

How do you like the banjo pan? It's a great alternative. Also, how do you like the sluice box?

Been drizzling all morning with a few bursts of moderate rain.  Up to .4" on the day and the temp is at 52.  Really glad I didn't let my attack of the lazies win out yesterday and got out and thatched/scarified my back yard, overseeded it, then dropped down a layer of topsoil and fertilizer.  This nice slow rain will give everything a nice soaking and allow the fertilizer to soak in. 

• Like 1

Liquid has stopped falling from the sky. Currently 53 degrees. 
.12” on the day, 1.71” for the month, 21.88” for the year. 
Even more color around the house now! And my boat is ready to hit the lake! 

IMG_5659.jpeg

IMG_5657.jpeg

• Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

2 hours ago, the_convergence_zone said:

It turns out that many of them were artifacts of the little ice age and they were already on the way out even prior to recent round of anthropogenic climate change. Many we already shrinking in the first half of the 20th Century. Same goes for many of our old growth forests, unfortunately, as the current climate is already better suited for different species of trees than the ones that are currently 300-500 years old. 

Of course other glaciers like the larger ones on the volcanoes will be the real victims of our current era of anthropogenic climate change. 

Yeah, it's definitely been an up and down cycle. My understanding is that glacier size generally peaked before or around 1900 and then trended downwards until the late 1940s/early '50s. Some of the smaller glaciers in the 1950s looked comparable to what they did in the last decade. With the slightly cooler and wetter weather of the late 50s to early 70s most glaciers grew. The average glacier on Mt. Baker advanced by 500+ meters. Since then it's been all downhill and as far as I know every glacier in the Cascades (save the new ones on Mt. St. Helens) is at it's smallest size in recorded history.

Unless another cooling period was on its way, many of our current glaciers were always destined to disappear (especially those below 8-9,000'), but having warmer and dryer than normal summers is significantly speeding up the process. What was probably going to happen in 100-200 years now may happen in 50.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

65F and partly cloudy. Hope y'all are having a good spring. Looking forward to the weekend.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Well a cool first half of June might be out the window.

CE0424CF-0D7D-4ADB-AB8C-1F9F5E0FF98F.gif

• Like 1
  • Sick 2

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 48

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

33 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

i mean, at this point i dont know if I'm doing things wrong or if there's just no gold in the ground I was trying 🤷‍♂️

We need to Jim to show us the way lol. I feel the same way.

Edited by SouthHillFrosty

46 minutes ago, Skagit Weather said:

Yeah, it's definitely been an up and down cycle. My understanding is that glacier size generally peaked before or around 1900 and then trended downwards until the late 1940s/early '50s. Some of the smaller glaciers in the 1950s looked comparable to what they did in the last decade. With the slightly cooler and wetter weather of the late 50s to early 70s most glaciers grew. The average glacier on Mt. Baker advanced by 500+ meters. Since then it's been all downhill and as far as I know every glacier in the Cascades (save the new ones on Mt. St. Helens) is at it's smallest size in recorded history.

Unless another cooling period was on its way, many of our current glaciers were always destined to disappear (especially those below 8-9,000'), but having warmer and dryer than normal summers is significantly speeding up the process. What was probably going to happen in 100-200 years now may happen in 50.

This is great perspective.

Also... a glacier peak around 1900 is probably a similar phenomenon on a much longer scale related to the end of the LIA as mountain snow pack peaking on April 1st each year.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cold Snap said:

Well a cool first half of June might be out the window.

CE0424CF-0D7D-4ADB-AB8C-1F9F5E0FF98F.gif

New ECMWF weeklies looks pretty warm for the next 6 weeks overall.

• Sun 1