Pacific Northwest Weather - May 2023

41 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

It's okay, I got it ;)

I did literally 30 seconds ago…I’m slow today. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

8 hours ago, the_convergence_zone said:

I can't wait to get inside my beehives and see how much honey they end up storing this month. Going to be a record for sure. 

Had a huge swarm came through the other day and inhabit one of the neighbors bee hives. It’s quite the site when it happens. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jcmcgaffey said:

Had a huge swarm came through the other day and inhabit one of the neighbors bee hives. It’s quite the site when it happens. 

It really is! And the swarming bees are super docile so they are fun to work with. I’ve never gotten around to building a proper swarm trap but it’s on my to-do list for one of these years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, the_convergence_zone said:

It really is! And the swarming bees are super docile so they are fun to work with. I’ve never gotten around to building a proper swarm trap but it’s on my to-do list for one of these years. 

The first time it happened I had no idea what was going on. I was on the phone out front and the buzzing got so loud I couldn’t hear the person on the phone. The side of the neighbors house was completely covered in bees. I thought it was a plague or something:)

• Like 1

S**t starting to dry out again imby. Was hoping it would be a typical flash drought that’s get doused quickly, but this clearly ain’t that.IMG_3698.gif

• Rain 1

8 hours ago, Timmy said:

nice night on the big island too

IMG_5285.jpeg

Jesse did not approve of this post of your children watching the sunset on the beach.    Only his experiences and preferences are acceptable on here.   Get with the program!

Screenshot_20230526-072324_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

8 hours ago, Phil said:

S**t starting to dry out again imby. Was hoping it would be a typical flash drought that’s get doused quickly, but this clearly ain’t that.IMG_3698.gif

But check out California! 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

14 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Jesse did not approve of this post of your children watching the sunset on the beach.    Only his experiences and preferences are acceptable on here.   Get with the program!

I gave it a troll reax. It is a great picture though. 

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

9 hours ago, Phil said:

Oregon west of the Cascades has had no rain in nearly 3 weeks with temps up to 20º above normal. Grasses are already heading out and browning off several weeks early. I guess I have a hard time believing the soil moisture is "normal."

• Sad 1

Tomorrow will be a day of hiking, but I just haven't decided where yet. I'd like to hike Moscow Mtn but NWS Spokane thinks that area may have some t-storms tomorrow. Maybe we'll do some hiking on the Palouse near Colfax or maybe to our west in Columbia County, WA.

Today's high will be in the mid to upper 70's.

• Like 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Par for the course.  Although I hope he doesn’t know this, but those aren’t my kids, they are just some random kids. We left ours with aunties back at home. People said “4 nights isn’t long enough for Hawaii”.  To which I said “you can get a lot done in 4 nights with no kids.” It’s been a relaxing and full trip. We are ready to come home.  

the weather has been pretty wet around Kona which is not normal. We had one of the more intense downpours I have ever witnessed outside waikoloa last night too.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, Timmy said:

Par for the course.  Although I hope he doesn’t know this, but those aren’t my kids, they are just some random kids. We left ours with aunties back at home. People said “4 nights isn’t long enough for Hawaii”.  To which I said “you can get a lot done in 4 nights with no kids.” It’s been a relaxing and full trip. We are ready to come home.  

the weather has been pretty wet around Kona which is not normal. We had one of the more intense downpours I have ever witnessed outside waikoloa last night too.

Waikoloa is usually the driest place on the island.   Although I also experienced one of the heaviest downpours I have ever seen there a few years back in February.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Phil said:

The California anomaly is wild when they're just now heading into an El Nino.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

But check out California! 

They desperately needed that, so I’m happy for them. Probably another good winter coming up too, with the +ENSO/-QBO both augmenting the STJ/narrowing the Hadley Cell. And it will be nice to finally have a summer without that 4CH machine spraying heat/EMLs around the country. 🤞 

But the vibes ain’t good imby. 7 of last 8 months drier than avg, including every month in 2023 so far. Prob won’t reach 1” this month.

In the 21st century, the only legitimate drought years here were 2002 and 2008. And the latter didn’t last very long. Former is interesting because it was coming off a 3+ year -ENSO stretch, but both QBO and dynamics of ENSO emergence were different that year.

Next month’s NPAC jet extension/poleward +U transport now coming into focus across guidance.

Beginning of this process triggers the next upstream breaker/blocking ridge in W-Canada to open June, which subsequently gets undercut and absorbs northwest into -NPO. After which we should finally catch a more prolonged break from the ridging up there, perhaps a tad slower than my original thinking but not by much if so.

• Like 1

(OT) To date this is actually the 2nd driest May and 4th driest start to a year since records began in the 19th century.

So it’s not just my wx-weenie psyche this time.

35 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Last day in the 70’s for the foreseeable future. 

IMG_5768.jpeg

Well that is just sad.

According my forecast... this is the last day NOT in the 70s here.  😀

Screenshot_20230526-103328_Google.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

53 minutes ago, Phil said:

Next month’s NPAC jet extension/poleward +U transport now coming into focus across guidance.

Beginning of this process triggers the next upstream breaker/blocking ridge in W-Canada to open June, which subsequently gets undercut and absorbs northwest into -NPO. After which we should finally catch a more prolonged break from the ridging up there, perhaps a tad slower than my original thinking but not by much if so.

I would be surprised if we didn’t see at least one good rainmaker in June. Seems like something usually shows up sometime early-mid month.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Phil said:

It looks to me like that ridge is going to try to retrograde right into the PNW. A decent chunk of the ensemble members now have a PNW heatwave in the ~June 4-9 timeframe. Far from locked in, but more likely than not IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

5 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

It looks to me like that ridge is going to try to retrograde right into the PNW. A decent chunk of the ensemble members now have a PNW heatwave in the ~June 4-9 timeframe. Far from locked in, but more likely than not IMO. 

I think mid to late June might be decently wet though with the northward movement of the jet extension.   Hopefully that is the case.    It would not be good to go into July and August without a couple good soaking rains.

16 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Looks like it should at least come with mountain thunderstorms 

10 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I think mid to late June might be decently wet though with the northward movement of the jet extension.   Hopefully that is the case.    It would not be good to go into July and August without a couple good soaking rains.

Or we see an early fall, per BLI SNOWMAN.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

22 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but people often live in/move to SoCal because they don’t want distinct seasons, right?

I assume that doesn't mean they want winter all year long though.   😀

Just now, Slushy Inch said:

And boom heat develops. And what days of June had the 2021 heatwave?image.thumb.png.2b6986ddab68ea59f630a07aa7274cf8.png

Late in the month.