Pacific Northwest Weather - May 2023

Another big overachiever today. 86 at PDX. 84/56 day here.

Looking forward to the cool down the next few days. Once again some nice cumulus development over the Cascades this afternoon. Looks like the Columbia Gorge near Cascade Locks had a decent thunderstorm earlier.

• Like 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

Solid dusting, possibly approaching a solid half inch in the landscaped areas in Bothell! Not sticking to the roads however. 

IMG_5775.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Snow 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

15 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Cottonwood convergence zone!  Nothing here.  😡

It was pounding North Bend this evening.    Low visibility and lots of drifting.   Typical c-zone location.

• Excited 1
  • Snow 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It was pounding North Bend this evening.    Low visibility and lots of drifting.   Typical c-zone location.

Thoughts and prayers. The marine push has arrived here. No damage so far, but it’s early. 

• Like 1
  • Shivering 1

26 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Thoughts and prayers. The marine push has arrived here. No damage so far, but it’s early. 

My son just finished up an afternoon and evening on the boat with his friends... sounds like he made it off the lake just in time!  

• Like 1
  • Windy 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

Solid dusting, possibly approaching a solid half inch in the landscaped areas in Bothell! Not sticking to the roads however. 

IMG_5775.jpeg

That's about how it looks up here, my dog loves to catch them out of the air, looks like PacMan....well Miss PacMan as she runs across the yard snapping her jaws.

The accumilation shown in your picture is pretty close to what we are seeing up here....my first thought was to grab the snow shovel, then I realized it's May and I should just grab the trusty 'ole leaf blower (which I know is oh-so popular here on the forum)  😁

We made it up to 81 here today, and it has cooled down to 67 so far this evening.  I've had my lightning tracker app pop up alerts the past few days for storms up on Baker, its crazy to think that Mt Baker is only 27 miles from my house as the crow flies.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

That's about how it looks up here, my dog loves to catch them out of the air, looks like PacMan....well Miss PacMan as she runs across the yard snapping her jaws.

The accumilation shown in your picture is pretty close to what we are seeing up here....my first thought was to grab the snow shovel, then I realized it's May and I should just grab the trusty 'ole leaf blower (which I know is oh-so popular here on the forum)  😁

We made it up to 81 here today, and it has cooled down to 67 so far this evening.  I've had my lightning tracker app pop up alerts the past few days for storms up on Baker, its crazy to think that Mt Baker is only 27 miles from my house as the crow flies.

At this time of year... I often wonder why the entire landscape here is not wall-to-wall cottonwoods.    The success rate of those puff balls must be extremely low.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eugene-5SW said:

Yes, folks, it's back, by popular demand! Because we know how much you missed us!!! -- it's...

SMOKE SEASON!!! 🤩

Get ready for a nice, looooong visit!!!

230526_untitled_001.jpg

Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 5.57.01 PM.jpg

Not liking the fact that there’s already a fire that big on the westside of the cascades this early. Worries me a bit for what’s to come if there’s not a decent soaking anytime soon.

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 48

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

@Anti Marine Layer check out the new low that forms out of thin air this weekend to replace the departing low over CA.  

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-west-z500_anom-1685124000-1685124000-1685318400-10.gif

Last June we had some dark blue and purple negative height anomalies some days, but no June Gloom.

It's those weaker troughs that make it the worst, as they don't mix out the inversion. There's also the high soil moisture content as the hills are still green here in late May, (very, very rare here) which helps those low clouds. 

Not a single heat wave this whole entire spring so far within 10 miles of the coast.

56F and smoky from the fire near Veneta…

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Sunny here this morning... satellite shows the low clouds up to south King County.    Radar shows some showers moving into western OR associated with that new ULL that formed overnight off the WA coast that will be heading down towards SoCal over the weekend.

• Like 4

00Z GEFS often seems to be a good compromise between the too cold ECMWF/EPS and the too warm GFS.    Its showing consistent warmth but nothing extreme.   Just pleasant.   

The nights actually look a little chilly during this upcoming week.   Although I suspect there were be marine layer clouds during the nights and mornings so it probably won't be that cold at night.  

gfs-ensemble-all-KSEA-daily_tmin_tmax-5167200 (1).png

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Here is the full 00Z EPS... seems to be a theme in the ensembles to center the ridging farther west starting later this week. 

I will say that it would be really nice if we could get some meaningful rain when the troughing is closest during the middle of this upcoming week... but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.   Models all keep any significant rain well offshore.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1685145600-1685145600-1686441600-10.gif

• Sick 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Here is the full 00Z EPS... seems to be a theme in the ensembles to center the ridging farther west starting later this week. 

I will say that it would be really nice if we could get some meaningful rain when the troughing is closest during the middle of this upcoming week... but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.   Models all keep any significant rain well offshore.

Not good. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

10 hours ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

Last June we had some dark blue and purple negative height anomalies some days, but no June Gloom.

It's those weaker troughs that make it the worst, as they don't mix out the inversion. There's also the high soil moisture content as the hills are still green here in late May, (very, very rare here) which helps those low clouds. 

Not a single heat wave this whole entire spring so far within 10 miles of the coast.

SW US will remember the 2022/23 to 2023/24 stretch fondly, and for a long time. Background state is structured perfectly, and is even better now than it was last winter.

Unless the El Niño flops (unlikely) this coming winter should be legit.

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

00Z GEFS often seems to be a good compromise between the too cold ECMWF/EPS and the too warm GFS.    Its showing consistent warmth but nothing extreme.   Just pleasant.   

The nights actually look a little chilly during this upcoming week.   Although I suspect there were be marine layer clouds during the nights and mornings so it probably won't be that cold at night.  

gfs-ensemble-all-KSEA-daily_tmin_tmax-5167200 (1).png

Tomatoes go outside first weekend of June

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

Looks like the ban Tim movement is picking up steam. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

24 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Not good. 

That’s the last hurrah for this pattern though. Poleward transport of westerly momentum is ongoing and should undercut the W-Canada ridge, when then is subsumed into the -NPO signature.

• Shivering 1

3 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

Tomatoes go outside first weekend of June

Our tomatoes have been outside since late April and are thriving and have tripled in size already.   I don't see anything ahead that will cause any issues for them.

20230525_130729.jpg

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

That’s the last hurrah for this pattern though. Poleward transport of westerly momentum is ongoing and should undercut the W-Canada ridge, when then is subsumed into the -NPO signature.

Subsumed?   Have to look that one up.  😀

I am pretty sure the second half of June will be decently wet... relatively speaking.

50 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Summer does not start in Southern California until the 4CH develops. Wirhout it we would be just as horrible as San Francisco. Some hints of something trying to happen at the end of the run, 11 days into June.

Of course, that does not mean we can't get 90 F in January followed by 65 F in early June. 

Just now, Anti Marine Layer said:

Summer does not start in California until the 4CH develops. Of course, that does not mean we can get 90 F in February followed by 65 F in early June. 

Phil says no 4CH this summer... and have no reason to doubt him right now.    He has been right on target so far this spring.