Pacific Northwest Weather - May 2023

5 hours ago, Meatyorologist said:

I like to throw some in the oven tossed with olive oil, thyme, onion powder, and minced garlic.

I threw mine into the air fryer with a little bit of olive oil and salt. I especially love the flowery tip when they’re slightly burnt and crispy. This particular part has a very nice smell and taste to it when grilled this way. 

• Like 2

Guess I wasn’t imagining things when I thought it was a little bit hazy yesterday looking towards the N and NE. Initially thought it was showers in the distance. The smoke finally broke the border and it’s May 17!  I’m suspect we’ll get many days of offshore flows this summer to get the smoke to come over here. 

• Sad 1

Some hot and humid weather coming down here with the Memorial Day setup. Dry lightning possible in places, thus starting firestorms in May...

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

6 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

59F and overcast at almost 1pm.  I don't think we will hit the projected 76F today in Everett.

Wow... was just going to say that the smoke is keeping temperature in check here today as its only 79 degrees at almost 1 p.m.   But 59?   That is crazy.     

Also don't think there any clouds now anywhere over western WA.    Its just an elevated layer of smoke.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Welcome to the new Pacific Northwest May.  Record heat and we officially now have wildfire smoke from Canada dipping into the state.  Possibly the earliest in recorded history. The Canadian smoke models predicts most of Washington and Oregon will have a smoke layer by May 18th, before being blown away by onshore flow the following day.  Smoke is currently high and should not effect air quality. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 12.52.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-17 at 12.54.14 PM.png

• Sad 1
  • Sick 1
  • Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

59F and overcast at almost 1pm.  I don't think we will hit the projected 76F today in Everett.

Side note... its 68 at KPAE so its definitely possible that Everett officially gets to 76.    Obviously a different story close to the water though.  

SEA is at 73 on the hour.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

I keep going back to the feeling that Tonga and the crazy amount of water vapor still in the stratosphere is impacting the patterns and playing some sort of role in making our warm seasons even more extreme.  But maybe this summer will end up being very different than last year and I am wrong and its just a coincidence with the timing.   I just don't have any confidence in that right now given what is happening.    There was just absolutely no way last summer should have ended up being the hottest and driest ever during a 3rd year of a Nina.    And the start of this warm season is just about as crazy.  

Of course a couple people here will constantly mock me for thinking Tonga might be playing a role... but I am guessing even they are considering there might be some correlation.    We may never know the answer though because there are so many variables.

It wasn't...unless you exclude June?

• Weenie 1

A forum for the end of the world.

I wonder if Snowmizer has picked a new state yet! Hopefully it’s Montana since we lost Kayla, it was great seeing her posts from there. 

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

13 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

It wasn't...unless you exclude June?

True... I think it was the hottest July - September ever.   Also maybe the hottest astronomical summer ever.

5 minutes ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

What happened to Kayla?? She had great pics.

I was wondering the same thing.   I did a search and found on LinkedIn where she is now a Grand Canyon helicopter tour pilot and it says she is based in Henderson NV.    So its possible she no longer lives in Bozeman and doesn't care to post about the weather now.   But that is pure speculation.    I was just glad to see she was OK.   

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MossMan said:

69 here! 

Conflicting reports.

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

Can we get one of those Oregon and WA rainfall percentage of normal maps (for a month or two) from the recent weeks? Where can I find them?

• Like 2

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

5 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

I keep going back to the feeling that Tonga and the crazy amount of water vapor still in the stratosphere is impacting the patterns and playing some sort of role in making our warm seasons even more extreme.  But maybe this summer will end up being very different than last year and I am wrong and its just a coincidence with the timing.   I just don't have any confidence in that right now given what is happening.    There was just absolutely no way last summer should have ended up being the hottest and driest ever during a 3rd year of a Nina.    And the start of this warm season is just about as crazy.  

Of course a couple people here will constantly mock me for thinking Tonga might be playing a role... but I am guessing even they are considering there might be some correlation.    We may never know the answer though because there are so many variables.

Actually in hindsight (as always) it makes perfect sense why last summer turned out the way it did.

I do believe Tonga prolonged the Niña, but the reason the 4CH was such a beast was due to other factors related to said niña/out of phase strengthening of the background state. So indirectly it was responsible, I guess.

Basically everyone is dry except the SW US on the EPS. They’re gonna dominate for the rest of this year into next year.

IMG_3521.png

1 minute ago, ShawniganLake said:

The worm has definitely turned. 

sunny and 80 here. 

Clock is ticking before it turns back, though.

• Like 1