NZ Island Erupts - Injuries & Missing

It is believed this eruption may have only been gases but it was a very large eruption for the small island.

At this writing -27 missing, 5 dead.

Video in article. Spokeswoman states there may have been 100 people on the island.

I can't imagine being on an island with an eruption underway. Gases and ash covered the area. The island is near Auckland, NZ.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-50708727

Video

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12292349

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A webcam showed people (centre of picture) hiking in the crater just moments before the eruption.

IMG_4050.JPG

Officials are warning family members to be prepared for the worst. There are survivors, but numbers aren't in yet.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

It's very tough news this evening.

Apparently latest numbers reveal 34 have survived. Numbers vary some. No other survivors are expected. Those that have made it are dealing with varying degrees of burns. Many with 90% burns are not expected to survive their injuries.

Though no one has said anything I have spotted in the news, I believe this island will now be off limits except to volcanologists and instrumentation.

IMG_4051.PNG

In the initial reports they got the number of people on the island incorrect. Seems there were 47.

Sadly, another fatality from burns today and many remain in hospital.

One report I heard on the news this morning said that the volcano,had gone to a warning level 3 weeks ago and no one understood how tourists could be allowed to go onto the island. I think that may be the understatement of their career for those responsible for allowing the visit.

Historically, this underscores the affect that volcanos play in history. People and cultures have been caught in the path of earth's activities since man walked the earth, and there are almost always severe consequences.

Did some checking and it seems this eruption was accompanied by a 5.3 quake at 29km depth.

A small group braved the risks and retrieved some survivors from the island yesterday.

They do not believe anyone remains alive.

Currently, they are anticipating another eruption.

White Island is NZ's most active volcano, so one has to ask why they allowed anyone on it with an eruption warning in force.