April 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

Yep... we all cheer for 40-degree rain all spring.    Everyone loves it!    

There is no denying it can be pretty miserable here well into early summer.      Its just a fact of life.

Even you dream of moving to drier climate!

Question for you Tim. (Response, in "kind".) .... What year is it. ?

Because if I'm not mistaken, I'm remembering having read posts similar to this one of yours just above, ..

..... Every year that I've been checking this thread. Mainly back at "Western" of course.

.. And it certainly makes me stop to wonder, with this being your attitude (Or representative of it generally.), what your point is in "sharing" it.

---

Question for you Tim. (Response, in "kind".) .... What year is it. ?

Because if I'm not mistaken, I'm remembering having read posts similar to this one of yours just above, ..

..... Every year that I've been checking this thread. Mainly back at "Western" of course.

.. And it certainly makes me stop to wonder, with this being your attitude (Or representative of it generally.), what your point is in "sharing" it.

What is the point of sharing any opinion?   Why do people tell us all year long that cold anomalies are so great?    Or how bad it is to have warm nights?   We heard that a million times as well.   :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Its important to get another 5-8 inches of rain in order to activate fertilizer.   

12 inches or more is ideal though.     

Most fertilizers will not be active until they are drowned in rain for months.    :lol:

(in reality... by early next week you will have probably lost all benefit of your fertilizer and will have to re-apply)

So what type of "fertilizer" are you using. ?

And what are you using it on. ?

---

What is the point of sharing any opinion?   Why do people tell us all year long that cold anomalies are so great?    Or how bad it is to have warm nights?   We heard that a million times as well.   :)

.. Define "opinion". 

I would view the idea of an opinion expressed regarding whatever more weather or climate event, circumstance prevailing, as something more than just whether someone liked it or not. 

But instead, a bit more about how it had been brought about perhaps. It's characteristics more substantive. 

---

.. Define "opinion". 

Webster defines 'opinion' as:

a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Webster['s Dictionary] defines 'opinion' as:

a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing

Does it say anything about, where, when, how or why one should be expressed. ?

The answer of course being no, I'm still curious (just more generally.) what your point is in "dwelling" more, on the poorer (?) aspects of the main weather, even broader climate circumstance that you're exposed to there where you are more, in particularly. To the extent you do.

.. And, where more specifically regarding your response here above, to what I suggested previously. However brief, what I've pointed to would still hold true in my view.

---

Does it say anything about, where, when, how or why one should be expressed. ?

The answer of course being no, I'm still curious (just more generally.) what your point is in "dwelling" more, on the poorer (?) aspects of the main weather, even broader climate circumstance that you're exposed to there where you are more, in particularly. To the extent you do. 

Because we live it here.    Its not something you can ignore.    Don't have to talk about it of course... but its a weather forum.    And when the weather is nice... I also say good things and even post pictures.  :)

Models have consistently been hinting at great weather at the turn of the month/first week of May, much like last year's May in the first/second week.

Lots of details to work out yet... seems to be a general theme for now. 

Because we live it here.    Its not something you can ignore.    Don't have to talk about it of course... but its a weather forum.    And when the weather is nice... I also say good things and even post pictures.   :)

(.. "it", again. ".. the, poorer aspects of ..." ? Or perhaps ".. those aspects." ? And, ..)

.. As a main focus of [whatever] submission. ? Or in your case, you'll grant me the idea here, quite as many. ?

And the "pictures", do approach at least, the more substantive element that I'd brought up above. Mainly in that they tend to speak more for themselves. And with this, don't work to assign a value to whatever circumstance.

---

Pattern looks great! The Canadian was showing a warm period during the turn of the month a week ago, and now that all the models are beginning to catch on. Can't wait!

New 12Z ECMWF certainly looks good for a couple very warm days later next week.

New 12Z ECMWF certainly looks good for a couple very warm days later next week.

The long range Euro is holding too much energy offshore. Just like it was doing when it was advertising a string of days around 80 the second week of April. This is a known bias from that model.

.. With this evidently being a movie, and apparently not attachable with the system set up here, why don't you post it to "YouTube".

What's its main format type. ?

Just a web cam screen shot... no video.

Just had a loud rumble of thunder... I will try to get a video of this next storm coming in for you Richard.

Update:  previous storm must have stabilized the conditions here because the next one fell apart on arrival.   

Just a web cam screen shot... no video.

Oh, oh. I see. I recognized the idea now. I thought that it had been something that you'd shot more personally.

Nice web-cam shot. .. What's the url. ?

Just had a loud rumble of thunder... I will try to get a video of this next storm coming in for you Richard.

Moving imagesmore in particularlycan be fun to check. Even, again, fairly informative, more substantively.

---

Cool day with some heavy, chilly showers this afternoon. 

High of 54 after a low of 42. The low actually occurred late this afternoon during an intense shower. After it cleared up there was a new dusting of snow on the peaks above 3,000'. First time I've seen that in awhile. :)

Klamath Falls. 37 degrees and snowing. No accumulation since February, but will see if that changes tonight.

http://i59.tinypic.com/sb7ono.jpg

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

As I suspected, the 12Z EURO ensemble mean has much lower heights overall than the operational for days 7-10. While the operational hangs that trough offshore and pumps up a massive ridge, the ensemble mean is much more progressive. OP is a complete outlier by days 9 and 10.

Almost looks like Autumn in that picture.

I was thinking that as well... brand new leaves and they were wet at that time which must have contributed to the yellowish color.

As I suspected, the 12Z EURO ensemble mean has much lower heights overall than the operational for days 7-10. While the operational hangs that trough offshore and pumps up a massive ridge, the ensemble mean is much more progressive. OP is a complete outlier by days 9 and 10.

Well... hopefully that means we get into a very wet and mild pattern.    I am very excited!     Really need the rain here.   Only about 20 inches of rain in Seattle in the last 2 months.    The landscape is parched and its bad to hope for ridging.   

Well... hopefully that means we get into a very wet and mild pattern.    I am very excited!     Really need the rain here.   Only about 20 inches of rain in Seattle in the last 2 months.    The landscape is parched and its bad to hope for ridging.   

Just reporting what the models show. I would actually be completely ok with some ridging the first weekend of May. We will be doing a trail work party in the Olympic Mountains so dry weather would be optimal.

Just reporting what the models show. I would actually be completely ok with some ridging the first weekend of May. We will be doing a trail work party in the Olympic Mountains so dry weather would be optimal.

You jumped all over me when I mentioned the possibility of nice weather next week.      We are not due for dry weather... its been nothing but warm sunshine for the last year.

18.29 inches of rain at SEA in the last 2 months.    

Yep... ridging would be terrible.    Luckily if the trough ends up farther east then it will mean lots of rain.

Nice day today.

Might get some rain the next few days though. Thats ok, I won't melt.

You are sort of funny.

Its been raining there for the last couple hours.   Your definition of a 'nice day' would probably not hold up anywhere else in the country.   It might have been nice at times... but another front moved in during the afternoon.

You can't really describe this as a 'nice day' anywhere else but coastal WA.   :)

http://s9.postimg.org/sb1pyyka7/Untitled.png

Klamath Falls. 37 degrees and snowing. No accumulation since February, but will see if that changes tonight.

http://i59.tinypic.com/sb7ono.jpg

I walked right by that very spot a week and a half ago. It was 65 degrees and the sun was setting. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I walked right by that very spot a week and a half ago. It was 65 degrees and the sun was setting. 

Did you know he lived there when you walked by??

You are sort of funny.

Its been raining there for the last couple hours.   Your definition of a 'nice day' would probably not hold up anywhere else in the country.   It might have been nice at times... but another front moved in during the afternoon.

You can't really describe this as a 'nice day' anywhere else but coastal WA.   :)

http://s9.postimg.org/sb1pyyka7/Untitled.png

It was dry all day where I was working, and only rained solid for an hour after I got home.  Now it is off and on showers with the impulses. So actually a good day overall.  I didn't die in the moisture this evening either, so thats good, and my family survived as well.

This must be GHweatherChris...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XBOorGPE-Q

Or maybe this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpfcO4Yfw44

Well if you mean I make the best out of any situation than I would agree.

I just don't see any reason to dwell on , or weather I cannot control.

I will have campfires with light rain alot of the time, wife and daughter love it as well. 

• Like 2

It was dry all day where I was working, and only rained solid for an hour after I got home.  Now it is off and on showers with the impulses. So actually a good day overall.  I didn't die in the moisture this evening either, so thats good, and my family survived as well.

:lol:

You are so stoic.

Reminds of people who live in Norway and say its just a little cold and dark there... no big deal.     People who live in crappy environments become that way... I am not there yet but should be by now.          

:lol:

You are so stoic.

Reminds of people who live in Norway and say its just a little cold and dark there... no big deal.     People who live in crappy environments become that way... I am not there yet but should be by now.          

It was mostly sunny everywhere I worked today except for a 2 minute hail shower in Ocean Shores, nowhere near cold and dark.  I don't sugarcoat or skew things to suit my needs, it is what it is.

The weather didn't turn until I was almost home this evening.