April 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

It's also nice to see northern California getting some more snow.  It isn't a lot, but at least at this point it's not melting.

Here's Lassen:

I will take not much of anything over the SW. I always hate to see them fry this early because that means the heat is already anchoring itself out west, and will likely be coming our way in a month or two.

I also like the cold anomalies centered over the Northern Rockies. That anomaly placement often results in pretty nice weather for us, ie sunny, seasonable days and cool nights.

• Like 2

I had nearly 9" of snow in February, and parts of the area received easily double that, even down to sea level.

The snow in February was also extremely dry, especially by west side standards.

The temp was in the teens a good portion of the major snow fall at my house. 

Dry snow is also somewhat easier to drive on, so, power outages from accidents was also probably negated.

For sure a snowstorm for the area.

We can't call it a snowstorm because it didn't affect thousands of square miles? It significantly impacted most of SW Washington and the Willamette Valley. It was a major event.

Power failure probably wasn't as much of an issue because there wasn't much in the way of ZR, at least in your area.

I had nearly 9" of snow in February, and parts of the area received easily double that, even down to sea level.

The snow in February was also extremely dry, especially by west side standards.

The temp was in the teens a good portion of the major snow fall at my house. 

Dry snow is also somewhat easier to drive on, so, power outages from accidents was also probably negated.

For sure a snowstorm for the area.

We had almost two feet when all was said and done. The temp spread was 18/14 on the first day of snowfall.

A small cell formed over the Mt Si right at sunset... passing us by to the north which allowed for a great vantage point here without being in the storm. Looks like there was some hail in there and a rainbow at the same time... all illuminated by the setting sun and perfectly clear skies to the west.

1901123_628323567235855_7788899985118081

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

A couple pictures of the natural gas explosion in North Bend today.

Thankfully it happened at that time of day when nobody was around and for that reason there were no fatalities. That is a miracle... a few hours later there would have been people all over the place. The first photo is an aerial view. There was a building in the middle of this that had a pizza place being remodeled and a dance studio. The round building was a barber shop.The red and white building is a tire store where all the bay doors were blown in from the blast. Somehow the gas station next door did not also explode.

My son and I went over there this afternoon... I took the second picture from the sidewalk across the street. The boys have friends living in a neighborhood a mile away who had windows blown out. There was insulation in the trees and grass and on rooftops over 2 miles away. Amazing power.

10268671_628336287234583_757074136408806

1969218_628336363901242_3145420309038037

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

A small cell formed over the Mt Si right at sunset... passing us by to the north which allowed for a great vantage point here without being in the storm. Looks like there was some hail in there and a rainbow at the same time... all illuminated by the setting sun and perfectly clear skies to the west.

1901123_628323567235855_7788899985118081

Great photo! I really like how the rainshaft was illuminated by the setting sun in contrast to the dark clouds and patch of blue sky to the right, and that the rainbow was visible despite the brightness around it. This might be a good photo to enter into the next Weatherwise Magazine Photo Contest, if you are a subscriber.

Thankfully it happened at that time of day when nobody was around and for that reason there were no fatalities. That is a miracle... a few hours later there would have been people all over the place. The first photo is an aerial view. There was a building in the middle of this that had a pizza place being remodeled and a dance studio. The round building was a barber shop.The red and white building is a tire store where all the bay doors were blown in from the blast. Somehow the gas station next door did not also explode.

My son and I went over there this afternoon... I took the second picture from the sidewalk across the street. The boys have friends living in a neighborhood a mile away who had windows blown out. There was insulation in the trees and grass and on rooftops over 2 miles away. Amazing power.

10268671_628336287234583_757074136408806

1969218_628336363901242_3145420309038037

Looks like that was pretty close to you.

Absolutely love the progression on the 12Z EURO. Nice dynamic pattern. Looks like it will be a classic case of very cool to very warm, then back to very cool.

Timing really sucks though... going to rain most of next weekend per that run before we get into nicer weather the following week again. 

Just got done raining here now... tomorrow looks like a washout for areas away from I-5 corridor.   

Wow, very scary. Glad everyone is ok.

Looks like this front will be a quick mover overnight.

We are officially moved and the weather was decent for most of it.

Congratulations on the move!

The front itself might be quick but tomorrow will likely be very active and wet in the post-frontal flow.  

Post frontal showers are ok for me, I adjust each job accordingly looking at the radar as to what order I do things.

Tommorow looks really chilly as well.    Surprisingly strong and cold onshore flow tomorrow.

Nature has to end this crap period with a bang.

No doubt it looks like a spectacular week coming up.  About the only thing to complain about is the timing.  Rain again by next weekend.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

No doubt it looks like a spectacular week coming up.  About the only thing to complain about is the timing.  Rain again by next weekend.

Yep.   I said that yesterday.    

Hopefully next weekend is not a washout... maybe a cool down with showers and sunbreaks.

It also appears that even after the ridge breakdown... a much quieter pattern will prevail.

Its been far too active and wet with this pattern.    Would be nice to get into a pattern with 3-4 genuinely nice days each week in between storm systems.    Sneaking in sun breaks for an hour every so often is not cutting it for me any longer.   

It also appears that even after the ridge breakdown... a much quieter pattern will prevail.

Its been far too active and wet with this pattern.    Would be nice to get into a pattern with 3-4 genuinely nice days each week in between storm systems.    Sneaking in sun breaks for an hour every so often is not cutting it for me any longer.   

It's almost May. It is going to get a little quieter. As long as we can avoid major torching I am happy. :)

Pretty good snows in the mountains the last several days. Ending the season with a bang. This will probably be the last several day period of heavy snows in the Cascades until sometime next fall.

Whenever the higher peaks out here have been unobscured I have noticed snow on them since about Tuesday.

It's almost May. It is going to get a little quieter. As long as we can avoid major torching I am happy. :)

Not always... there are some examples of ridiculously bad months of May up here.   

1962 was insane for example.    Highs in the 50s and rain on 27 out of 31 days.

2010 was also a complete nightmare.    After heavy the first 5 days of the month... it then rained every single day from 5/17 through 6/13.    Over 12 inches at the Snoqualmie Falls site in that period and 20 inches here.    Did I mention that I hated 2010 with every fiber of my being.   Worst weather year ever.    And 3 days of snow in November did not make up for 11 months of complete crap.    

Just had a very nasty squall move through here with strong winds, hail, and heavy rain.  Enough hail to cover the ground with a thin layer.  The radar sure didn't do it justice.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

12Z ECMWF continues to show a messy situation for next weekend after a gorgeous week.    

Friday is still awesome:

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!120!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2014042712!!chart.gif

Sunday is a mess though... cold and wet with moist SW flow.

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!168!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2014042712!!chart.gif

The window for nice weekends is really closing fast.  Days start getting shorter in less than two months!

Never take for granted nice weekends around here.    I always want as many as possible.

Its been a pretty bad run up here... we had one great weekend (4/12-13) this month.

This is now the 10th wettest April in history at SEA (4.18 inches) 

This comes after smashing the record for the wettest March in history (9.44 inches).

Also... the Feb-Apr total is now at 19.73 inches which beats the old record from 1972 by almost an inch.

Its been seriously wet.   

How long will it take until people on here are complaining about drought conditions?    The rain can stop for a couple months here and all is still well.  :)

Is anyone else following the tragic tornado outbreak over AR? A monster twister just ripped right through Mayflower..just horrible. Dr. Forbes is comparing it to the 300mph El Reno twister that occurred in 2013.

Look at the debris ball...radar depicting a large amount of debris being carried up to 20,000ft.

I've never seen anything like this:

http://catchmypicture.com/f/nTgcuK/800.jpg

Is anyone else following the tragic tornado outbreak over AR? A monster twister just ripped right through Mayflower..just horrible. Dr. Forbes is comparing it to the 300mph El Reno twister that occurred in 2013.

Look at the debris ball...radar depicting a large amount of debris being carried up to 20,000ft.

I've never seen anything like this:

3 years ago today?

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/bmx/?n=event_04272011

Not with a debris signature like this. Look at that inflow notch. A ton of debris carried above 20,000ft:

http://catchmypicture.com/f/5ewS1R/800.jpg

Da*mit. Large debris now up to 40,000ft. Reports of hundreds of cars flipped/scattered on I40 with bodies scattered about. Terrible.

GRAnalyst:

http://catchmypicture.com/f/TmcJZy/800.jpg

Not with a debris signature like this. Look at that inflow notch. A ton of debris carried above 20,000ft:

http://catchmypicture.com/f/5ewS1R/800.jpg

The Hackleburg tornado definitely had debris to that level. And Tuscaloosa. Not trying to minimize the AR storm tonight, but it's not unprecedented.

The Hackleburg tornado definitely had debris to that level. And Tuscaloosa. Not trying to minimize the AR storm tonight, but it's not unprecedented.

The highest debris ball signature and inflow notch (pre-occlusion) I can recall is 36,000ft, from Joplin in 2011. This one reached 44,000ft. Maybe the 1999 Moore OK debris ball went higher, but I haven't analyzed that one.

That said, the height of the debris ball is only an indirect proxy for surface wind speed.

The highest debris ball signature and inflow notch (pre-occlusion) I can recall is 36,000ft, from Joplin in 2011. This one reached 44,000ft. Maybe the 1999 Moore OK debris ball went higher, but I haven't analyzed that one.

That said, the height of the debris ball is only an indirect proxy for surface wind speed.

Gate to gate shear is a much better approximate. There have been a number that had shear over 170 kts, including last year's Moore tornado and Joplin.

Gate to gate shear is a much better approximate. There have been a number that had shear over 170 kts, including last year's Moore tornado and Joplin.

True, but given the resolution that most velocity scans operate on, the width of the twister's core or other internal dynamics like V- torque can influence the scans.

I guess we'll see what the survey teams conclude.