April 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

We're really overdue for a significant April heat event (85+ in Portland, 80+ in Seattle). They used to happen more. I'm hoping this will be the year.

I think the last time that PDX was 85+ in April was in 2004. That was also their warmest April on record.

I think the last time that PDX was 85+ in April was in 2004. That was also their warmest April on record.

Yeah, a long time without a really ridgy April.

Incidentally, April is the one time of the year where our climate has lost much of its ability to produce historic heat. Compared to the late 19th and early 20th century, even 2004's heat events look pretty ordinary.

A few examples: Portland hit 87 on April 12, 1904, 89 on April 17, 1897, 90 on April 20, 1906,  90 on April 20, 1934, 89 on April 23, 1910, and 93 on April  27, 1926.

.. So, just curious here Phil. 

What's your definition more in particular, of the term of "spam"as it's used in and where considering different online discussion board or forum, type settings similar to this one. ?

Because for me, this here above that you've posted, certainly fits. 

(Largely rhetorical. Don't bother.)

• Like 1
---

I don't see any mid 80s in the next week or so, but it does look like maybe 80 at PDX and 75 at SEA next Wed per MM5.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/wxloop.cgi?mm5d2_x_wa_tsfc+///3

I would not be surprised to see the models a bit too fast in bringing in a front later Wednesday...and underforecasting the temperatures. We do quite well when we have a ridge for a day or two followed by a negative tilt splitting front that helps produce some offshore flow and mix down warm air from aloft. In fact, these patterns produce the warmest spring weather. 

Nice to know things like this are still possible. Maybe it will be us one of these years.

If Chicago got some "global warming" this year, we certainly could have our turn here in the Pacific NW. But we may need to wait a couple years with El Nino coming.

It must be April fools! That's an incredible looking forecast, in a bad way. It's bad for the Agriculture industry. Last year it was drought and hot hot hot weather, this year it's cold cold cold and too much rain in the corn belt I think.

Cold and sunny is fine. No need for temps in the 80-90F that's just way to hot! Today's weather was perfect :) , 70 F and sunny is great! But my favourite time is April -June not to hot and not cold. Like September to October usually. Just sucks Algeries season is starting :( it really really effects me and I can get super sick from them

For days

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

We're really overdue for a significant April heat event (85+ in Portland, 80+ in Seattle). They used to happen more. I'm hoping this will be the year.

No. To hot. I don't like to sweat by just walking outside. Would you not rather it be comfortable and warm outside instead of too hot and not being able to sleep at night?

2013/2014 Winter season

I don't see any mid 80s in the next week or so, but it does look like maybe 80 at PDX and 75 at SEA next Wed per MM5.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/wxloop.cgi?mm5d2_x_wa_tsfc+///3

I would not be surprised to see the models a bit too fast in bringing in a front later Wednesday...and underforecasting the temperatures. We do quite well when we have a ridge for a day or two followed by a negative tilt splitting front that helps produce some offshore flow and mix down warm air from aloft. In fact, these patterns produce the warmest spring weather.

Very true. The operational Euro is just about the only model that supports that kind of solution though, and it is infamous for often holding back too much energy offshore.

Euro ensembles and GFS operational/ensembles all look more progressive for next week.

I liked Fred's idea of separate forums for separate topics. I'd like it better if it was enforced.

You mean separate forums for different regions? I think we should have a vote on the merge plan that has been floated around.

I agree that we should have different pinned threads for each "region", but what good does dividing up the community into entirely different forums do? We're not a big enough community, and we won't be unless we merge the forums.

Unless the goal is to have the same 5 or 6 folks posting in each forum, with zero inter-forum communication...

I blame the PDO.

I blame the Planet's rotation and that climate always changes :P

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Sun pouring through my office window, heating it like a green house. 

I miss winter, I miss the rain. ;)

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

-

I liked Fred's idea of separate forums for separate topics.  I'd like it better if it was enforced.

hey, Chris.

The better segregation of different ideas, even main themes. Right, of course that's the crux of the idea that I'd been trying to point to. 

And encouraged, is probably a better way to look at the idea of arriving at that better general ordering of those different ideas and themes. And with emphasis here againbecause some people might need the idea [to be] spelled out better, ... "for good, reason/s".

In my view, when and where the "monthly" threador monthly "General", or "General Discussion" for whatever monthwhere looking mainly at the PWN larger regional sectiongets too cluttered up ……. with (too many. ?) either whether odd, or more extraneous, more tangential ideas or themes alluded to (Including, their being noted and talked about, as here with this one, of course), .. others, more in line with the idea of a more general discussion, related to this regioneven contexts, where looking at some ideas more basic and general brought up hereare obscured, even lost completely. 

.. Specificity (the basic opposite of things looked at more "generally".), and delving into different ideas more substantively, both, both warrant and benefit from this better ordering of themes. (And would, with its encouragement.)

Fred, and whoever else has had a hand in working to organize the basic separation of different main, either whether weather or climate focused ideas or themes here at this new set up, have done a fairly good job of it in my view. And working with, this new set up, is certainly a good idea. 

Not working to single out "Phil" here, but he has in fact expressed, an interest in a much more homogenous, arrangement of things. Which, with not liking (favoring.), myself, and where seeing his (at times) interest in dropping in different things more in line with this interest, and with some of those things in my view otherwise, by degrees, certainly at times working to break down some of the different ideas / potential, that I've pointed to here above, .. I find myself objecting to. (Sometimes, more privately. Sometimes not.)

---

-
... Case in point. ? .. Better order.

http://theweatherforums.com/index.php?/topic/214-april-2014-in-the-pnw/?p=24110  (.. post no. 56, above.)

Here with this comment, plainly one brought up more "generally", ... No real obstruction to the more general context working. 

And in line with the "general, spirit", of what I've suggested (only.) above as being more in line with a better ordering of different discussion (Just trying to be clear here with this more formal type of expression.), ...

In reply to this post pointed to. And with speaking more or less to its author. .. First, with respect to your idea here above Chris, I'd say .. that this is certainly a noteworthy observation. If only inferred. And second, with your having in fact expanded on it to some extent elsewhere (As in, within another sub-form, here.), .. my otherwise, "pointing to", that thinking and post, in a basic effort to resound it to some extent, here below, with an attached, in-forum link here following. /  (Again, pardon the more formal expression.)

>  http://theweatherforums.com/index.php?/topic/214-april-2014-in-the-pnw/?p=24110

oops. (!) >  http://theweatherforums.com/index.php?/topic/177-california-weather-climate/?p=24089

Even worth, exploring, further. ..... There. Or even within another thread started, "elsewhere".

.... More general discussion related. ?

... Relatively "cool" here (more south.), with some lingering clouds, general over-cast, or for the most part, fairly stable, basic system aftermath.

---

Outside of the regional forums, there are topics for climate change, ENSO, arctic ice, solar, etc. People from the Midwest aren't likely to see or comment on El Nino posts when they're buried in monthly Pacific NW whining about rain.

Ah I see, agree there. But they're also not likely going to get to them with the 5 trillion subforums to scroll through.

Not to be whining but why can't the Pacific Northwest cash in on snow/cold like the East Coast has been the last several years.   

If it weren't for the Feb cold spell this would've been a pretty lame winter but even at that it was only for a few days.  We seem to always be stuck in between everything. 

I am actually glad we got the heavy rain in March because it was pretty much the only way to have weather excitement.    I think the 2008 cold spell was more impressive because it was slightly more widespread.

When we do get cold/snow it seems to be more localized to certain cities/towns then they used to be. 

• Like 1

Not to be whining but why can't the Pacific Northwest cash in on snow/cold like the East Coast has been the last several years.   

If it weren't for the Feb cold spell this would've been a pretty lame winter but even at that it was only for a few days.  We seem to always be stuck in between everything. 

I am actually glad we got the heavy rain in March because it was pretty much the only way to have weather excitement.    I think the 2008 cold spell was more impressive because it was slightly more widespread.

When we do get cold/snow it seems to be more localized to certain cities/towns then they used to be. 

We had a major cold wave in December too. Last winter was pretty decent for most places in the NW (including your location). It's all relative.

As for the bolded part, not sure where to even start with that one. That's a nonsensical claim.

Super nice day in Eugene today. Practically the whole city got off work early and out enjoying the sun and the comfortable 60F temperature by 4PM.

This was the 3rd day in a row here of near perfect early April weather.      Partly to mostly sunny and around 60 degrees.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

This was the 3rd day in a row here of near perfect early April weather.      Partly to mostly sunny and around 60 degrees.

Cleared out beautifully down here around 10am. Sunshine with a high of 51 for Christmas Valley. Most of the snow is gone now. It was a great day for hiking. :)

Super nice day in Eugene today. Practically the whole city got off work early and out enjoying the sun and the comfortable 60F temperature by 4PM.

The whole city eh?

2013/2014 Winter season

Sounds like the Cascades are calling your name :P

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

A lot of good points but don't forget the December cold wave.  From a cold point of view the winter wasn't bad.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Sounds like the Cascades are calling your name :P

Eh...our turn will come eventually.  There is no reason the NW can't score major anomalous cold like other parts of the country have.  Some places in the deep south had major snowfalls where snow is more rare than it is in Seattle.

That having been said I am still ready to move on.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yep... kids love it too.   So productive.        

The weekend is looking a little bit better than it had a couple of days ago.  Maybe not a total loss after all.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The weekend is looking a little bit better than it had a couple of days ago.  Maybe not a total loss after all.

Probably pretty gloomy and drizzly at times all weekend.    Saturday looks downright crappy for us.   

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d2/pcp1.72.0000.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Btw I wish it were easier to upload photos on here. There shouldn't be such a strict limit on file size. I had a sunrise picture to accompany my above post but it won't let me attach it.

How I always posted pics was that I would just copy the image from fb or something like that and then just paste it. Never had a problem.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

How I always posted pics was that I would just copy the image from fb or something like that and then just paste it. Never had a problem.

That's how I usually do it as well. I don't have my pics posted to fb yet this time, though.

That's how I usually do it as well. I don't have my pics posted to fb yet this time, though.

Upload it here...

http://postimage.org/

Resize for message boards... and then copy the image URL and paste here.    Never had an image I could not upload like that on here.