2020 - 2021 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

Still having trouble clearing in the southern Santa Monica Bay, even with most of the clouds gone offshore.

Inversion looks very strong, going by a comparison of beach and 10 mi inland temps. Around this time last year we saw such stark contrasts as 66 in SD and 90+ in Poway, with similar numbers from Santa Monica Pier to DTLA. The ocean is warmer this year so it shouldn’t be that extreme again.

Dense fog. Coolest day in over a month for Manhattan Beach. It’s 66 here now, well below average. What happened?!

Only beach city in LA County I could find cooler than us is Malibu, currently at a mere 64. Morro Bay back to 59, only a degree warmer than Eureka.

Beaches farther south seem to be enjoying more typical conditions for late July.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Thunder98 said:

72F again today. Yawn!

I really want some real hot weather or heavy rain right now. The weather is super boring and mild this summer overall. The marine layer is relentless this year for the Central Coast.

Seems like every single day is either 73 or 76 for a high here. I could count on one hand the number of days that deviated from that range. Zzzzzz…

Though the monsoon clouds are a nice visual touch when they’re not blocked from view by the low lying gunk.

Hazy/light fog again. The marine layer is shallow but very resilient. Just when it seems to be clearing, the wind picks up and it pushes back hard. Another day with a Godzilla Inversion(tm) where it’s 64 at the beach and already in the 80s in Winnetka by 10am.

SSTs are falling too, particularly along VC and LAC coasts and northern Baja. Wind flow remains May-like.

17799AC7-DD95-4BD0-84C5-B0451747A70E.gif

• Like 1

July 12, the SF Bay Area set *record cool highs* during the peak of a heat wave inland. Daniel Swain has quoted a study from 2011 predicting that as climate change progresses, the immediate coast may actually get cooler and the marine layer more persistent. I hope that’s not the case. Last several years N of Pt.C have definitely added anecdotal weight to that theory, though. 

5 minutes ago, Pn1ct0g3n said:

Carbon copy of yesterday. We need some heatwaves that reach the beach. Looking like MB won’t clear at all west of Sepulveda.

I think the coastal areas should see some real heat by later August or certainly in September. 

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Reg said:

Not sure if you folks near the coasts are seeing this but its been like this for most of the day here inland:

IMG_0205.thumb.jpg.868e7a109be609fe55eaeaa5b3537bc8.jpg

Epic. Unfortunately the Pacific has us in its clammy grip but you can see some towering moisture clouds looking far to the east.

• Sad 1

Dense fog for the third day in a row. This had better turn around soon or we might be looking at record cool highs for some coasts. It’s 63 here now 🥶

Look at the damage the NWly wind event has done. And it’s still going on. 2020 all over again.

Extended has been updated and now no days are supposed to exceed 73 here. Meanwhile, it’ll be above average inland. Two years of this straight are gonna be hard to take.

45860213-D0E3-40B9-94E2-DB815CA7747B.gif

• Sad 1

This ML is shallow but it’s very concentrated and the inversion is rock solid, with an upwelling event to cool the ocean air even more. This is how you get the most extreme contrasts between beaches and interiors. Reminiscent of a typical April or May heat wave.

I get that living here can make me privileged. But I didn’t choose to grow up here right on the water, and if circumstances allowed, I would move to a place I prefer. I can indeed drive up the road to where it’s warmer (and I do), but the fact remains that my home is a mile from the Pacific and almost completely insulated from extremes.

At heart I’m a humidity-loving jungle rat, so if I had the wherewithal I’d probably settle in the tropics or at least some place seasonally hot and humid. For now, I have to settle for those fleeting moments when I feel like I’ve stepped through a portal and ended up in Miami.

• Downvote 1

I’d take Brownsville any day. Beyond the obvious, you’d get a lot of exciting extremes. It’s said in Texas, you can experience all four seasons in a day if things line up right.

Almost the entire western tier is bubbled up with convection now, except the coast of course—though the action seems to be reaching the coast in Oregon.

2 hours ago, Thunder98 said:

Which City has a better climate? The avg highs for both cities are very similar in the summer, but other than that they're quite different from each other obviously.

2125198016_riversideclimate.thumb.PNG.d2db4a46832943903f07f46cd7093628.PNG1798034110_BrownsvilleTXClimate.thumb.PNG.a45c3fcb99825955c19fb9f1f421f0c7.PNG

How rare is snow in Riverside? I feel like the occasional cold snap in Brownsville wouldn’t be worth having those awful summer temps, even if you get more thunderstorms.