2020 - 2021 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

A shallow marine layer also leads to more extreme coast-inland temperature differences. And that makes sense that last night was cooler, as there were fewer clouds and heavy cloud cover at night traps re-radiated heat. 

Partial clearing just starting farther south. It’s more stubborn here.

• Thanks 1

Just as cyclones in the westerlies are forced up and over the Pacific high, the remnants of storm Grace are now being forced down and under the Pacific high. If some of these southern storms could be turned more to the north early on, then Coriolis force and the westerlies could curve the storm into the Southwest and Colorado Plateau. If cyclones can get to 25 North, in many cases they curve and start moving northeast. 

You beat me to it…I was just about to to mention Marty, the zombie storm born from Grace’s remnants. If it recurves just right it could bring some warmth to the coast with pop up storms, like what happened last year with Hurricane Genevieve.

Santa Monica Bay slow to clear, as is common.

Good news, the sun is back. Bad news, so is the N/NW flow. Expect a drop in sea surface temps which could complicate predictions for the coming “heatwave.”

I see some hot days ahead, with warm overnight lows developing. Right now we have conditions ripe for some heat extending to the coast, but an upwelling event could literally put cold water on it.

Well by golly, government scientists have started a new study of the Colorado river.  In this original AP report, the scientists say they will study weather near the summit of the Colorado plateau where the river starts. Colorado River study

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scientists-launch-effort-collect-water-222538995.html

Having new data, the weather scientists promise better predictions of the basin snowpack and rainfall. Do we need more predictions of more dry? We've seen this all before. 

Innovation is what we need to solve the water crisis. Not repetition. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is insanity.

Not sure where these came from, but I’ll take it. You can see how much shorter the days are getting.

AquariusRadar, I’m still stunned that more effort hasn’t been put into rain catchment and absorbent pavement in cities in the monsoon zone. Just one stray shower can make a difference. Do people just not want tanks on their roofs? Plus porous pavement would make flash floods less likely, and help recharge aquifers.

The idea has been thrown around out here too to keep winter storm water from being wasted to the ocean, but it hasn’t gotten any serious momentum.
E9DAAE69-EEEB-4F02-8FED-D77D9AF60862.thumb.jpeg.21668a534667d68ba39c68e8f9cb901b.jpeg

• Like 3

The high was 76F today, despite the clouds not fully cleared until 10AM. It seems like days where the clouds don't clear up until late Morning, it still warms up to the low to mid 70's in August unlike in May or June where it the same set up sees highs in the 60's at best.

A bit warmer this morning though the weather app adjusted projected temps down. Nothing resembling a heat wave. 

Ocean temps remain fairly warm off most of the south coast but cooler water has already infiltrated the Santa Monica Bay. 

Will there be a classic September heatwave with 80+ extending down to the coast and high humidity, or will we transition seamlessly into fall? Even 2020 was kind enough to give us a last hurrah in early-mid September before the fall patterns set in.

The whole summer gave me 2008-9 vibes as well. Very…average with SSTs trending cooler, no major heat waves and some extended periods of coolness, but nothing freakish like 2010 or 2020. Far fewer 100+ days inland, and the immediate coast stayed within a 4 degree range for highs 9 days out of 10.

I remember the late 2000s having rather cool Septembers where the summer heat was over and done with by mid month. And then the 2010s brought lingering heat (and even humidity) well into October.

As Pn1ctOg3n suggests rain catchment for residential homes will be common when the cost of water gets high enough. Water is going to cost more and soon I think. Nothing better than rainwater runoff from the roof for the bath or lawn/garden. I only use rainwater from the downspout barrel for orchids  and the little bit the cacti need.

That practice is not going to be enough for redwoods or salmon or agriculture. California needs big water.

Congressional  representatives as well as state governors want a federal disaster declaration for the western states drought in this article-drought declaration

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lawmakers-urge-biden-fema-declare-052944487.html

I still wonder why big water projects-like an aqueduct -wasn't part of the infrastructure legislation. At least a study.  

Though you can tell the SSTs have dropped locally because the ocean looks darker. Last week it was turquoise, almost tropical looking.

from my observations — If the water near the beach is clear and bright, there’s a good chance it’ll be trunkable that day (generally defined as 70+F water). If it’s grey-green and turbid, consider a wetsuit.