2020 - 2021 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

Sun has been out for a while now, some scattered clouds but rain totals are unimpressive so far. My total of 0.17" is the highest in my area as of this afternoon, with many locations further north having still not recorded any measurable precipitation at all.

But according to the latest NWS forecast discussion, the best may be yet to come:

Another, colder punch of air will dig into the trough position tonight, reigniting shower development into SoCal. These showers will be more convective and will be capable of increased rainfall rates. (See Hydrology section below) This disturbance will strengthen as it moves south and help to close off a low pressure center over SoCal Tue afternoon. The cold air aloft and cyclonic flow will support further shower development, and possibly even an isolated thunderstorm or two near the mountains before the system moves rapidly east on Wednesday.

I don't want to call it too soon but this storm looks like it was a major bust for nearly all of Southern California, with many areas having not received any measurable precipitation at all through this morning and any additional chances reduced to virtually zero.

And to add insult to injury, later this week we have this to look forward to inland:

.FRIDAY...Mostly sunny. Highs 95 to 100.

• Sad 1