2020 - 2021 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

Moistureinfusion.png.2a61294b917b21b76f45eb6ff1deb593.pngA weak infusion of moisture to southern California is aided by the low pressures there. The source is the ITCZ thunderstorm clusters near 160-140 West. This is a case where aquariusradar could enhance this flow of moisture by operating from ships at sea and target these thunderstorms and keep more moisture aloft.

The appointment of a new leader for the LA Metro water board, Adel Hagekhalil, is discussed in this LA Times article. https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/bitter-fight-southern-californias-water-035841163.html . If this article is a true picture of the political turmoil created by drought, it is assured no progress will be made on new water resources for California. At every level of government, those who could make good decisions about new water feel their jobs are threatened if they chose not to be politically correct. The decision makers are too busy defending themselves from political attack and finding their way through the political maze that they don’t have time for study and research into new ideas. Regardless of decisions made, someone will find them wrong and good ideas are stonewalled at the politically correct doorway. I doubt Hagekhalil has ever been briefed on new ideas-no matter how crazy the ideas may sound- about new water for California. Decision makers and scientific advisors often wear blinders. It’s good to remember-way back in time- that some of the best scientific minds of the nation told a pair of bicycle mechanics that man would never fly.

William Shatner (Captain Kirk)’s idea about an aqueduct from the Seattle /Columbia River area to the top of the Sacramento valley is regularly the butt of jokes-wildly impractical and expensive say the politician/scientists. Not a new idea- interstate aqueducts ideas have been around for decades.Trouble is the politicians and scientist don’t have a single clue as to how to get water to California. Interstate aqueducts can not be ruled out. I5 from the Columbia to the upper Sacramento or I40 from the Mississippi to the Little Colorado or my favorite I10 from the Mississippi to Parker dam- all these US properties have rights of way and can serve water needs of areas along the route. Hugely expensive to build and operate. if it is done for cars and trucks why not water? 
California agriculture is worth some $ USD 50 billion annually. That would more than build and maintain a huge aqueduct.

But there is another way to transport water to California and the Colorado Plateau. It’s called acquriusradar. The concept is simple. At the ITCZ, monitor  the natural process of CN development that transports water from the sea surface to great heights as a thunderstorm. At the penultimate point prior to heavy rainfall, apply aquariusradar (microwave energy) and target the CN cell. The microwave energy acts to slow and stop development of the cell and reduces rainfall. A large portion of the moisture lifted by natural forces remains aloft where the Hadley cell circulation moves the moisture (clouds and or water vapor) north to the middle latitudes where local instabilities of the atmosphere create rain. In this case, thunderstorm complexes in the 160 West longitude area of the ITCZ are targeted such that the Hadley cell circulation moves the moisture to California. 

• Rain 1

1 hour ago, Pn1ct0g3n said:

Bring on the heat! After the Bummer Summer and Nonsoon of 2020, I’m ready for some 2015-style fun.

I really hope we see a 2015 or 2017 repeat this year with the thunderstorms and hot, muggy weather. Although I got really lucky with the Thunderstorms last August. 

2 minutes ago, Pn1ct0g3n said:

Still cools off pretty sharply as the sun goes down since the ocean is still chilly.

F651B357-1D1E-4C20-8967-9BE5E97EB85C.gif

I wish our ocean temps were 10-15 degrees warmer as we would be able to enjoy consistently warmer and more humid temperatures, we would be more like Southern Europe. The pacific is just way too cold imo.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Thunder98 said:

I wish our ocean temps were 10-15 degrees warmer as we would be able to enjoy consistently warmer and more humid temperatures, we would be more like Southern Europe. The pacific is just way too cold imo.

At the very least we’d have the luxury of going without wetsuits longer. And the air should be less stable allowing for more thundery fun.

• Storm 1

3 minutes ago, Pn1ct0g3n said:

At the very least we’d have the luxury of going without wetsuits longer. And the air should be less stable allowing for more thundery fun.

It would be a great treat to see pop up thunderstorms several times a month in the Summer.

• Like 1

The strong upwelling extends farther down the coast. Instead of stopping at Point Conception it continues to the Ventura County Line. Compared to the mid-late 2010s in mid-June, the warm zone in the Bight is a lot narrower and cooler. Not surprising coming off a La Niña year.

AB462E2C-5CDE-49FF-A320-097D4D9C85F5.gif