2020 - 2021 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

20 hours ago, Pn1ct0g3n said:

Overall remarkably close to the 1991-2020 normals. Global warming my foot. 

Are you comparing the 1 year mean 2021 August(weather) to the 30 year mean 1991-2020 August(climate)? The bigger question; why would Oxnard NWS call this chart climate data and include a column of weather data. Confusing weather and climate? Anyway, many of the average means for August 2021 are in fact higher. Correct me if I am wrong.

3 Sept added: I summed up all the plus and minus temperatures for the 15 stations-had to throw out Sandberg (top of the Grapevine) because the huge increase there skewed the results way high. Without Sandberg, the average increase of the 15 stations was +0.48 degrees for the August 2021. That is almost 1/2 degree up vs the 30 year average. Considering that most observers termed this last August a cool month, imagine what a hot August would have done. Of course weather temperature spiking 1/2 degree up per year would be an impossibly high rate of warming. So these stations will most likely report something near zero or possibly some decrease next year August.

Edited by AquariusRadar
added my analysis

9 minutes ago, Pn1ct0g3n said:

The Pacific High has been extra strong this year and last, leading to a lot of strong inversion days—look at how poor the clearing has been up north in particular. I wonder if climate change is strengthening it. 

May Grey, June Gloom, No-sky July, Fogust…

SOCKTEMBER.

There has been a lack of real heat all year. I have only seen 13 days above 80F this year so far. I'm so sick of temps being in the upper 60's and low 70's almost every day this Summer.

3 minutes ago, Pn1ct0g3n said:

Pretty sure Manhattan Beach has fared even worse. Only 2-3 days reached 80 on the corner, and I’d imagine the official weather station (yards from the water) never hit that mark once. 

In contrast to the Super El Nino year of 2015, the Santa Maria Airport had 84 days above 80F and 16 days above 90F!

A real nip in the air tonight. Will I wake up to a dense heatwave fog tomorrow? We shall see.

We had a similar scenario a year ago where a big heat wave finally hit mid month after weeks of chilly upwelled water. There was a lot of fog and wildly fluctuating temps near the coast (it was 80 and foggy one day at LAX!), and then the pattern shifted and we had a pleasantly warm fall with the ocean not cooling down again until storms arrived.

Place your bets!