2020 - 2021 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

Temps for the coming days in Anaheim (my preferred semi coastal ref point to track, as it’s outside the Los Angeles UHI and beaches are too fickle) were adjusted upward. Valleys too. High 97F and low 70F for Woodland Hills for the 29th!

Looks like the warmup will kick in with my birthday on the 27th. As for the immediate coast…I’ll believe it when I see it. 

Nice clear skies and little wind this morning, though a wall of gunk has persisted just south of me and keeps trying to poke its head in, like a hungry cat. You can see it on the satellite curling up past PV. It’s a good day to hit the beach across most of the region!

C7F985C0-F2CD-4C5B-97AE-676A52ECBDFF.jpeg

Air feels drier than before to me today and it’s REALLY breezy. When I got out of the pool I felt really chilled from slightly wet hair. Dew points are pretty low for late June. There may be monsoonal clouds above, but down at the surface it feels like late April but warmer.

Air feels drier than before to me today and it’s REALLY breezy. When I got out of the pool I felt really chilled from slightly wet hair. Dew points are pretty low for late June. There may be monsoonal clouds above, but down at the surface it feels like late April but warmer.

Looked at the radar and there’s tons of action to the east, as soon as the monsoonal flow exits the stable marine air mass. A pop up shower just went through Pomona and the entire IE is lit up.

Came home from work just now to find that 0.02" had fallen at my house today, sometime in the morning. I verified it with my manual rain gauge which showed the same total. A wildfire near Pala in northern San Diego County is sending a ton of smoke up our way as well.

Looks like that pesky northwesterly flow will continue today. NWS adjusted our temps down for the coming week, and all microclimates are looking to be near normal with nothing special.

Last year we had a lot more NW flow than normal, leading to No-sky July and even Fogust. Hoping we don’t get an encore of that.

1 hour ago, Pn1ct0g3n said:

Looks like that pesky northwesterly flow will continue today. NWS adjusted our temps down for the coming week, and all microclimates are looking to be near normal with nothing special.

Last year we had a lot more NW flow than normal, leading to No-sky July and even Fogust. Hoping we don’t get an encore of that.

Temps in my area were adjusted down too. At least we could see a robust monsoonal flow next week.

Fingers crossed. I didn’t get much influence from the last monsoon event here as the onshore flow was too strong. There was a streak of years that remained unbroken from 2014 to 2019 where a thunderstorm closed a beach on LA’s Westside, sometime in mid July, until 2020’s Bummer Summer arrived. I wonder if that’ll happen again.

1 hour ago, Thunder98 said:

The heat last week was a bust on the intermediate coast from Santa Barbara County to the Mexican border and next week looks like more like the status quo except for some potential monsoonal moisture. 

Midweek we had about 3 days of solidly above average temperatures, but the latter half of the heatwave didn’t reach the coast here.

Still plenty of chilly water out there, and the wind events this week won’t help change that.

6 hours ago, Pn1ct0g3n said:

There’s a massive cold anomaly in the eastern and central subtropical Pacific extending clear out to the vicinity of Hawaii and beyond. Leftovers from La Niña?

And no thunderstorm clusters across the whole central Pacific ITCZ. Doesn't bode well for drought relief. Agree-looks like La Nina. 

Sat feed: Mainly sunny here, but socked in from the OC coast clear down into Baja.

Update: by 1PM the Sepulveda Wall was trying to establish itself. Much of this week had a strange pattern where the southern Santa Monica Bay was sunnier than the northern part. Today we’re back to the typical pattern, which is the reverse of that. The stretch of coast from Hermosa to PV Estates is a particularly strong fog belt that is usually the first place to cloud over and the last to clear out locally.

6 minutes ago, Thunder98 said:

Shame that the coastal areas will not see any heat from heat wave impacting the west. 

It always feels like a coin flip whether or not the beaches will warm proportionally, or get fogged in instead. 2017 had some crazy heatwaves that actually brought below average temps and dense fog to the immediate coast. Saw some of that last year too. Imagine 63 in Manhattan Beach and 110 in Woodland Hills, which might have been the most extreme microclimate day I’ve ever seen.

2 minutes ago, Pn1ct0g3n said:

It always feels like a coin flip whether or not the beaches will warm proportionally, or get fogged in instead. 

At least by August and September, the coastal areas should finally see some serious heat as the ssts are at there warmest and marine layer is more sporadic.

3 minutes ago, Thunder98 said:

At least by August and September, the coastal areas should finally see some serious heat as the ssts are at there warmest and marine layer is more sporadic.

Even 2020 finally got there, sort of. We still had long runs of troughiness and gloom then. No-sky July turned into Fogust. I still feel kinda spoiled by the beachgoer’s dream summers of most of the 2010s.