2020 - 2021 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

I’m in Los Angeles today, in Gardena visiting family - fireworks and occasionally weapons have been popping off nearby all day over here. Some of them sound reminiscent of the distant mortars I’d hear at Fort Benning.

Very strong onshore flow today, making it downright gusty at the coast  and bringing even valley temps down about 5F compared to yesterday. Manhattan Beach hasn’t exceeded the low 70s since mid June, at least according to my weather app. Their station is at American Martyrs School, which is  just yards from the Pacific and in a consistently distinct microclimate from the side of the city east of Sepulveda Boulevard.

8 minutes ago, Pn1ct0g3n said:

Not looking good for fireworks here. Overcast again and possibly breezy enough to present a hazard. Looks like another upper level low passed through NorCal. 

So that explains why the Marine Layer has been so stubborn to clear out in recent days.

Chilliest Fourth of July evening in quite a while. Jacket required for the fireworks if you’re anywhere near the coast. Even 2020 started out pretty nice in July before it all went downhill.

Extended forecast calls for dead-average temps with nothing out of the ordinary. California’s warm season can be like living in a Groundhog Day loop.

All microclimates except the desert running near or a little below normal. Dews have stayed below 60. Feels more like summers did here before climate change. The monsoon remains active but it doesn’t look like it’ll drift our way for a while.

1 hour ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

20211881510_GOES17-ABI-wus-GEOCOLOR-1000x1000.thumb.jpg.6a00f818c59dfa9e80e530c687164a73.jpg

Crazy how far out the stratus deck goes, that lingering cold water between here and Hawaii has to be contributing.

Slower clearing today too. The wind picked up as early as 9am, an unfavorable sign for things to clear all the way to the beach. I’d bet East of Sepulveda should enjoy brilliant sunshine.

47 minutes ago, Thunder98 said:

Clouds cleared earlier today. I’m going to Six Flags tomorrow and its going to be 105F! 😁 

If it’s even above average in MB, it’ll be cause for celebration. We’re such an exposed piece of coast, and the western tip of Catalina has a way of channeling the clouds toward us.

• Like 1