1/10 - 1/11 Plains/Lower Lakes Major Winter Storm

Tom

Very heavy snow falling right now, near white out conditions.  I have just under 2 in of snow but an inch of it has fallin in the last 20min.  Not much more left to come through but it's going out with a bang.

There ya go bud. Enjoy it! ;)

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Mostly sleet and frz drizzle here. Roads are fine Grand Rapids has dodged a bullet in terms of ice. No flakes yet.

I hope my area gets no ice. I hate ice!!!!

• Like 2

April 2024:

I don’t know if I should use the word “hype” but that sure comes to mind with today’s forecast. And I am not talking about the posters on this or any other blogs I am talking about the NWS. I know that they must error in the name of safety and all but still? I think we ALL pay too much attention to the computer models. Too much is put into trying to have the models do much of the forecasting. I was concerned yesterday when there was talk of a 15 to 30-mile window of where the heaviest ice would be. Now that happens many times but to forecast that is kind of tricky. So bottom line it looks like we have been 2020 1st Winter Storm Warming for a night in the upper 40’s with heavy rain and now what looks to be maybe 2 to 3” of snow and sleet. Like I say this is not finger pointing at any one but I think the NWS takes most of the blame along with the weather models that many of us follow. At this time it is 32 with a light mist falling.

There is always hype by those weather offices. I think is just to make people take extra precaution.

EDIT: I still cant stop laughing thinking about "Mike Seidal" from TWC when he was reporting during a "Supposed Hurricane" at that moment and he couldn't stand still because of hurricane force winds at the time, meanwhile, in his upper right hand corner, 2 people walked right by him with no problem (as if no wind at all was occurring). What a fool.

• Like 3

April 2024:

LOT's update at noon

The primary mid/upper level impulse over eastern KS and western MO
will be our primary feature of interest as we
head into this
evening. This feature is expected to track across our area early
this evening. Meanwhile, at the surface, an area of low pressure
over IN will consolidate and strengthen along a surface frontal
boundary into the evening as it tracks towards western Lake
Ontario later in the evening. Enhanced low and mid-level level
deformation associated with the mid level
impulse is already
driving a band of moderate to
heavy snow across eastern KS and
into western MO. This is
likely similar to what much of what our
area will experience this evening.

Overall, it looks like the area will experience a band of
moderate, to briefly
heavy snow, possibly centered right across
northeastern IL this evening. We should have a period early this
evening when the combination of strong
large scale forced ascent
will coincide with some enhanced lower-mid level
frontogenesis
along the track of the 850 to 700 mb
low. This in combination with
the presence of some steep mid-level lapse rates, and negative
EPV
should support some banding of heavier snow across the area early
this evening. This will
likely result in some snow rates up to, or
just above 1" per hour for a couple hours this evening. While the
overall strongly forced ascent will remain rather progressive
(only lasting for a 2 to 3 hour period) total snow amounts of 2 to
5 inches will be
likely across much of northeastern IL. The
combination of the
heavy snow, and some gusty winds near the lake
may also result in a brief period of near
blizzard conditions, but
this should remain brief as wind speeds should be gradually
abating this evening. Expect the snow to come to an end shortly
after midnight.

• Like 2

LOT's update at noon

The primary mid/upper level impulse over eastern KS and western MO

will be our primary feature of interest as we head into this

evening. This feature is expected to track across our area early

this evening. Meanwhile, at the surface, an area of low pressure

over IN will consolidate and strengthen along a surface frontal

boundary into the evening as it tracks towards western Lake

Ontario later in the evening. Enhanced low and mid-level level

deformation associated with the mid level impulse is already

driving a band of moderate to heavy snow across eastern KS and

into western MO. This is likely similar to what much of what our

area will experience this evening.

Overall, it looks like the area will experience a band of

moderate, to briefly heavy snow, possibly centered right across

northeastern IL this evening. We should have a period early this

evening when the combination of strong large scale forced ascent

will coincide with some enhanced lower-mid level frontogenesis

along the track of the 850 to 700 mb low. This in combination with

the presence of some steep mid-level lapse rates, and negative EPV

should support some banding of heavier snow across the area early

this evening. This will likely result in some snow rates up to, or

just above 1" per hour for a couple hours this evening. While the

overall strongly forced ascent will remain rather progressive

(only lasting for a 2 to 3 hour period) total snow amounts of 2 to

5 inches will be likely across much of northeastern IL. The

combination of the heavy snow, and some gusty winds near the lake

may also result in a brief period of near blizzard conditions, but

this should remain brief as wind speeds should be gradually

abating this evening. Expect the snow to come to an end shortly

after midnight.

Sweet! Enjoy it.

• Like 2

April 2024:

Clinton---how are ya coping w this storm. Did ya get any measurable snow or ice? Flooding?

• Like 1

April 2024:

I don’t know if I should use the word “hype” but that sure comes to mind with today’s forecast. And I am not talking about the posters on this or any other blogs I am talking about the NWS. I know that they must error in the name of safety and all but still? I think we ALL pay too much attention to the computer models. Too much is put into trying to have the models do much of the forecasting. I was concerned yesterday when there was talk of a 15 to 30-mile window of where the heaviest ice would be. Now that happens many times but to forecast that is kind of tricky. So bottom line it looks like we have been 2020 1st Winter Storm Warming for a night in the upper 40’s with heavy rain and now what looks to be maybe 2 to 3” of snow and sleet. Like I say this is not finger pointing at any one but I think the NWS takes most of the blame along with the weather models that many of us follow. At this time it is 32 with a light mist falling.

As I watch this storm dissolve into next to nothing I was thinking similar thoughts - it seems as if most forecast discussions are “this model says x, this model says y - we’ve blended them together and will update as the new runs come in.” One of things I appreciate about this forum is people using modes as a tool, rather than a crutch - I suspect too little actual forecasting goes into the forecasts and more reporting models goes on without applying them as tools combined with knowledge and experience to produce a real forecast. I often feel better informed by following you all here then I do listening the NWS forecasts. I’m not trying to simply criticize but like many things today we’ve handed over our thought process to what computers say, this is just an example of it - there is a real place for experience and knowledge that no computer can imitate. It has a piece of this puzzle but not the whole puzzle and too often forecast discussions become lazy.

• Like 3

As I watch this storm dissolve into next to nothing I was thinking similar thoughts - it seems as if most forecast discussions are “this model says x, this model says y - we’ve blended them together and will update as the new runs come in.” One of things I appreciate about this forum is people using modes as a tool, rather than a crutch - I suspect too little actual forecasting goes into the forecasts and more reporting models goes on without applying them as tools combined with knowledge and experience to produce a real forecast. I often feel better informed by following you all here then I do listening the NWS forecasts. I’m not trying to simply criticize but like many things today we’ve handed over our thought process to what computers say, this is just an example of it - there is a real place for experience and knowledge that no computer can imitate. It has a piece of this puzzle but not the whole puzzle and too often forecast discussions become lazy.

I think a lot of meteorologists suffer from what journalists do. They make more money and advance their careers by being dramatic actors that bend the truth to make a better story than doing their jobs properly. You see it with Weather Channel, I where, but I remember seeing a clip of a Weather Channel guy in a storm leaning over and acting like all hell was breaking loose, only to have some people walk casually behind them. Or another where they were focused on a "huge flood" that was the lowest point in the whole area.

It's almost guaranteed the first potential snow event of a year (or in a few weeks) will be completely over-hyped by those types. It gets them views and clicks, it's almost like clickbait for the weather.

The people here are doing it because they like to discuss these things. They want to learn, they don't get anything. All I get out of posting here is knowledge and some arbitrary numbers increasing like my post count, and maybe people will like my post. It's not like I'm getting money or building a brand/blog/etc.

Just an off-topic vent, but it's something I've noticed. Whenever we haven't had a winter storm in a while, I basically 100% assume that when they say big snow, it's going to be a massive disappointment. Because they just wanted to get people worked up. And they can get away with being 100% wrong with meteorology, unlike other fields.

• Like 3

I think a lot of meteorologists suffer from what journalists do. They make more money and advance their careers by being dramatic actors that bend the truth to make a better story than doing their jobs properly. You see it with Weather Channel, I where, but I remember seeing a clip of a Weather Channel guy in a storm leaning over and acting like all hell was breaking loose, only to have some people walk casually behind them. Or another where they were focused on a "huge flood" that was the lowest point in the whole area.

It's almost guaranteed the first potential snow event of a year (or in a few weeks) will be completely over-hyped by those types. It gets them views and clicks, it's almost like clickbait for the weather.

The people here are doing it because they like to discuss these things. They want to learn, they don't get anything. All I get out of posting here is knowledge and some arbitrary numbers increasing like my post count, and maybe people will like my post. It's not like I'm getting money or building a brand/blog/etc.

Just an off-topic vent, but it's something I've noticed. Whenever we haven't had a winter storm in a while, I basically 100% assume that when they say big snow, it's going to be a massive disappointment. Because they just wanted to get people worked up. And they can get away with being 100% wrong with meteorology, unlike other fields.

I don't think NWS mets have much to gain from hyping Winter Storm events like TV mets do. They have more to lose than anything, as they are the top weather authority and they need to keep the public's trust.

• Like 5

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I'm watching the radar trends and it seems as though the best moisture and snow is going to be riding just south and east of where the WSWs have been posted.  I'm still hoping I at least get enough snow to cover the grass.  But I'm beginning to lose hope for even that much.  I kissed the 8-10 goodbye several hours ago!  The way this winter is progressing, I'll be thrilled with 1-2. 

You see it on this board! Human nature, I guess.

Everything has to historic, epic and the most-destructive possible for the blood thirsty crowd that need the most people possible suffering for their hobby.

What was your user name last year when you came on to troll the board? I can’t remember now.

• Like 3

Everything has to historic, epic and the most-destructive possible for the blood thirsty crowd that need the most people possible suffering for their hobby.

How appropriate you have Beetlejuice as your avatar, as you clearly have the same IQ as him. 

• Like 1

Clinton---how are ya coping w this storm. Did ya get any measurable snow or ice? Flooding?

All of the above.  Storm is over here picked up 1.80 inches of rain, 1/4 of ice and sleet and 2.8 inches of snow.  All and all a very nice storm.  Good luck to you tonight.

• Like 3

All of the above.  Storm is over here picked up 1.80 inches of rain, 1/4 of ice and sleet and 2.8 inches of snow.  All and all a very nice storm.  Good luck to you tonight.

Wow... :lol: A little bit of everything!  Congrats amigo!

Thnx..I really do hope I don't get any ice w that second batch coming tanite. They are saying a switch to snow later on this evening as well. A rapid freeze is on tap also.

• Like 2

April 2024:

Know how I quit getting offended?

Quit going places, doing things, reading things or talking to people about topics I know will offend me. You know where the search bar is on your browser don't you?

#problemsolved

• Like 2

Defo band is intensifying nicely...it continues to snow here lightly from the lake effect snow showers coming off the lake...I've notice they are getting a bit better developed as the column of air cools aloft.

Good luck to you Tom w this snow tanite. Hope ya score.

• Like 2

April 2024:

I’m in Overland Park, KS near I-35 corridor and got 3-4 inches of nice powder on top of our ice/sleet mix from yesterday. I’ll take it!

Sweet. Congrats! ;)

• Like 1

April 2024:

^^ Closest I've seen you to a legit rant post, but you may end up with more snow than that so stay tuned. I totally agree with you on some points and disagree on others. As said originally, I don't think a Watch down my way was ever warranted. I felt that 2 counties north should've been the southern boundary with a WWA bordering the upgrade to warning if it was needed. They also were very trigger-happy to begin the warning a day before impactful winter weather, another questionable decision. Why not leave the hydro warnings up with a Storm Watch behind it for later. Same thing with rolling winds into a WWA last event at NYE. In GRR's defense with this event tho, they were not the only office botching headlines. They were just one of many.  

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Good luck to you Tom w this snow tanite. Hope ya score.

Thank you sir!  I'm getting a bit excited seeing how the radar is blossoming.  My goodness, the winds have been non stop roaring all day.  Once the snow arrives, it's going to look amazing.

Just from the LES, I've picked up 0.5" so far...does anyone else in Cook/DuPage or even Will county have anything to report thus far?

@Scascia, seems like Elmwood Park should be getting some decent snowfall rates right now...how's it going out there?

• Like 3

:)  Congrats on scoring a storm bud. Does it look wintry now? So far, I've beat your rain total and while I was busy snoozing I see some mix coated roofs and grass here (not sure the amount). I'd like to get your amount of snow as well to refresh plow piles around town. They've gotten so small it's easy to miss them. 

• Like 3

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

:)  Congrats on scoring a storm bud. Does it look wintry now? So far, I've beat your rain total and while I was busy snoozing I see some mix coated roofs and grass here (not sure the amount). I'd like to get your amount of snow as well to refresh plow piles around town. They've gotten so small it's easy to miss them. 

It looks great the ice provided a nice base for the snow to accumulate on.  Even though it was a powdery snow it has the appearance of a wet snow, very cool looking.  I think you have a good shot at beating my snow total as well.  

• Like 2

Wow... :lol: A little bit of everything!  Congrats amigo!

Thnx..I really do hope I don't get any ice w that second batch coming tanite. They are saying a switch to snow later on this evening as well. A rapid freeze is on tap as also.

Hey buddy. I really think this has trended away from the typical ice storm into a 2-part rain, then snow event. That's the good news here as well. The forecast had me a bit nervous tbh. I very narrowly missed the Dec 2013 bad ice storm by half a county. Winter 2006-07 delivered multiple bad ice storms, one that I tried to get killed in by driving my car through a fallen tree. But we've had no bad ones here since so it makes me feel we could be over-due here. But, ice storms seem to more prevalent in colder winters not warm like we have. Anyways, good luck later on. Hope we both can grab some snow later on tonight!  ;)

• Like 2

Nah, you're thinking of a different one. That was Tabitha.

:lol: Wow..how the heck did ya remember that. Ya have good memory I see.

• Like 1

April 2024:

It looks great the ice provided a nice base for the snow to accumulate on.  Even though it was a powdery snow it has the appearance of a wet snow, very cool looking.  I think you have a good shot at beating my snow total as well.  

Well, my office says "NO" to my hopes:

In areas from Kalamazoo to Lansing and southeast, the burst of

precip this evening into tonight will be predominantly sleet with

some freezing rain, changing over to snow around midnight before

ending prior to daybreak.

Those earlier snow maps showing a rather narrow stipe of good snow along the NW periphery might just have been onto something. 

• Like 1

Hey buddy. I really think this has trended away from the typical ice storm into a 2-part rain, then snow event. That's the good news here as well. The forecast had me a bit nervous tbh. I very narrowly missed the Dec 2013 bad ice storm by half a county. Winter 2006-07 delivered multiple bad ice storms, one that I tried to get killed in by driving my car through a fallen tree. But we've had no bad ones here since so it makes me feel we could be over-due here. But, ice storms seem to more prevalent in colder winters not warm like we have. Anyways, good luck later on. Hope we both can grab some snow later on tonight!  ;)

So far, so good, thankfully. Ice is no joking matter. Hopefully, it will skip the ice part and go straight to snow when it switches. Can ya imagine tomorrow morning you look out ya window and you see a "Winter Wonderland"....now, that would be a great finish to this storm. :D

• Like 1

April 2024:

Been down to 32F here since 4:30 with some mix reported by the unit, and some light snow obs. Per reports, things continue to go more easterly with the main wave, so GFS could still be my "friend-in-the-end" 

• Like 2

So far, so good, thankfully. Ice is no joking matter. Hopefully, it will skip the ice part and go straight to snow when it switches. Can ya imagine tomorrow morning you look out ya window and you see a "Winter Wonderland"....now, that would be a great finish to this storm. :D

18z NAM3k to Niko "I read you loud-n-clear, over"

Been down to 32F here since 4:30 with some mix reported by the unit, and some light snow obs. Per reports, things continue to go more easterly with the main wave, so GFS could still be my "friend-in-the-end" 

:) Go NAM! 

nam3km_ref_frzn_ncus_fh6-18.gif

• Like 2