2020 Weather Mid Atlantic/Gulf Coast.

Phil

I Hope Larry Cosgrove is abserlutly wrong about the summer he going with 2012 and 2016 2012 summer was really awful heat wise after a noneshow winter that would be the ultimate slap in the face.

Yeah, I’m getting bad heatwave vibes with the persistence of the SE ridge. Showed up last fall and it’s been present off and on through the cold season.

Some nasty winds in the mountains tonight. Weirdish to see pressure rises and WAA on W/NW flow.

Some upper 50’s/low 60’s out there as we approach 10PM. We’re still decoupled here @ 38*F but those winds could mix down anytime and spike is into the 50’s..areas just a few miles to the west have already surged past 55*F and are still climbing.

Inversion broke..now up to 55*F in a flash with the wind roaring outside as we approach midnight.

Clear skies.

Yikes. 62mph @ Petersburg, 51mph @ Winchester and also 51mph @ Front Royal.

Temp up to 60*F here with gusts ~ 40mph. Definitely didn’t expect this type of downsloping at night without any CAA. Not in any forecasts or modeled boundary layer soundings either.

Downsloping shut off at ~ 5AM and we plummeted from 60*F right back down to 39.9*F by 830AM. Lol.

Not we’re back up to 62*F as of 11:45AM. Ugh.

No kidding. Windows up and the birds are singing. A Spring morning indeed. CAD development still seems likely as a series of waves move just west and overhead next 72hrs.  Risk ZR-/ IP- on front side of CAD.

Contrast this with tommorow at 10am.  Gray stratus, winds NNE 10-15 mph. Temperatures mid 30s. Wind chills in the mid 20s. Volitility will be the name of the game next 30 days. 

NWS still has warm bias.

NAMMA_sfc_temp_027.png

A Navy Chief said, "Never change your forecast. That way you can only be wrong once."

Nice squall with frontal passage. Clouds were as black as you ever want to see. Peak wind 51mph.

A lot of severe weather with this system. Spring conditions for sure.

Mid and long range models show stormy weather to continue. Still might crank out a couple of winter storms.

Current conditions. Light rain, temp 44, wind WNW 25 gust 36....

A Navy Chief said, "Never change your forecast. That way you can only be wrong once."

Surge of wind this morning. Not with the squall itself but lagging behind it by a few hours with the CAA.

About 10mins of frequent 45-55mph gusts with a mist falling. Drying out a bit now, less wind but still 30-35mph.

• Like 1

Also looks like Germantown got hit hard. Some areas where trees are blasted like Feb 2016 in Damascus. Structural damage too.

Probably 70-80mph.

• Like 1

Some additional gusts today.

Albemarle Co, VA: 62mph

Swoope, VA: 62mph

Millers, MD: 67mph

Sotterley, MD: 65mph

St. Mary’s Co, MD: 67mph

Peak here was 47mph, however I have lots of trees obstructing the anemometer.

And now it’s snowing, lol.

Just a brief squall but it’s nice to see snow/blowing snow again. Especially given it was in the upper 50s with lightning and thunder just 12hrs ago, haha.

Looking at this pattern, I am very concerned. Storm track still producing cutters, at leaest at mid levels. Surface CADs just give us rain with temps in the 30s and 40s.

Five confirmed F-1 tornadoes by NWS in Maryland with last frontal passage. I will admit, I saw those putrid black clouds. It brings back memories from the South.

I am not a severe weather fan. If you are this may be the year. There is plenty of cold air aloft and at the surface, just on the backside here. Above normal temps and dewpoints on the front side of this storm track scares me. Not good....

sfct_b.conus.png

• Like 1

No snow for the Mid-Atlantic. I am a man of constant sorrow.

this is certainly one wrack winter this year hopefuly we see some changes in this pattern over the next few years some keep claiming this is the new norm I can not buy that climate has always been changeing this winter could easily just be one of those rare exstreams in the natural varibity.

Looking at this pattern, I am very concerned. Storm track still producing cutters, at leaest at mid levels. Surface CADs just give us rain with temps in the 30s and 40s.

Five confirmed F-1 tornadoes by NWS in Maryland with last frontal passage. I will admit, I saw those putrid black clouds. It brings back memories from the South.

I am not a severe weather fan. If you are this may be the year. There is plenty of cold air aloft and at the surface, just on the backside here. Above normal temps and dewpoints on the front side of this storm track scares me. Not good....

I’ve been thinking about this lately. The SE-ridge returning as more of a low frequency feature (and the more meridionally-consolidated Indo-Pacific Warm Pool, albeit still longitudinally-extended relative to climo) would hint at a more favorable wave station for severe weather this year.

In my gut I’m feeling it too. Who knows.

R- temp 49F, big shocker. Cold front comes in tommorow. Weak CAD gives us R- 37F Thursday. It will be a mild 50F at 850mbs.

The Earth is not getting warmer. Because it is much above here it must be much below somewhere. It's snowing in Baghdad, Iraq. Image from today below.

3.5 inches of snow here so far. Cutters and sliders, oh my.....

c1_3522649.jpg

Great view of the recent southward developing snow pack. Climatolicly correct for mid February.

Of note are the streamers developing, in Kentucky and Tennesse, as the artic air heads SE. -5F in Champaign Illinois this morning. Walking in snow at these temps has a unique crunching sound. Brings back memories.

Hints of a slider 120-180hrs. Hints of strong NW flow with blocking. I believe March of 1960 featured an East Coast storm every Wednesday, or so the story goes....

IMGv_0.jpg

I must admit the weather is askew. Jacques Cousteau said, " In nature there is no good or evil. Things are simply as they are."

I say, "There is no such thing as normal weather. The weather simply is what it is."

The weather does, however, average out.

Will the script flip? It must.

A storm could be brewing....

GDPSUS_prec_ptype_240.png