2020 Weather Mid Atlantic/Gulf Coast.

Phil

Anne Arundel is the hot bed for storms this season

DC/Southern Beltway too. Repeating theme this year.

If bad things come in threes, then today should’ve been the final day of screwage and tomorrow will perform bigly.

if you get wiffed today if indeed they issue a tornado watch you know mother nature is truely screwing with you phil.

Nasty wind maximum missed me by 5 miles. But still got some legit rainfall rates (10.3”/hr) and a few close strikes.

Recorded 1” of rain in 13 minutes.

Last two days have been spectacular. Low 80s with dewpoints in the 50s. Nicest weather since early June.

Heat indices were lower than the ambient temperatures for the first time since late Spring, I think?

Holy flash flooding. Soil must have been completely saturated, because within 1hr of the downpour starting, water was cascading down lawns and the street. Worst flash flood of Booze Creek since 2013 or 2014? Just a raging torrent..breached the new flood plain that crews are trying to re-establish after the 2013/14 floods annihilated their previous fix. Goldsboro Road was a raging torrent as well. Probably a dozen swift water rescues across the DMV.

Yet totals surprisingly low here, only 1.43” in my rain gauge (tho 3-4” fell just a few miles E/NE w/ another hotspot around College Park). Which is why I’m wondering if the soil moisture products were lowballing the amount of water present? Because we’ve had much heavier rain events in the recent past, with much less in the way of flooding. At least here?

Bizarre. Anyhow, currently 76/74 with some haze.

Took this photo of Booze Creek (the one behind our house) at ~ 130pm. Usually the creek is 5ft-10ft wide and runs at a trickle. Here it’s ~ 75ft wide after rising ~ 7-8ft.

Water was still rising rapidly when I took this, and it breached the lower section of the flood plain (where that wall of bedrock is) shortly thereafter.

YzrjwI0.jpg

Some truly amazing weather this week. Aided by thick smoke residing above the boundary layer, highs have dropped into the upper 60s/low 70s with lows dropping into the upper 40s both Tuesday and Wednesday AM.

Sally scrapes us to the SE tomorrow. Precip should be light and of the stratiform variety. Refreshing N/NE breeze should coincide.

Hopefully we’re done with summer weather for the year. Bring on fall.

Beautiful September weather! Deep blue skies and crisp mornings.

Dropped to 40°F this morning. Down into the mid/upper 40s again late this evening. Might reach the upper 30s tomorrow AM.

• 3 weeks later...

Simply an amazing start to autumn here. Coolest/driest in recent memory.

Beautiful days, crisp nights, pure bliss. Nothing like the warm, sticky, disgusting early/mid autumns that dominated the 2010s.

Stiff onshore wind and light/moderate rain for the last 24hrs or so. About an inch to this point, which is less than the 2-3” projected.

I can see why you post in our forum so much, Phil. It's like a brick wall in here.

• Like 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

On 10/13/2020 at 3:16 AM, Meatyorologist said:

I can see why you post in our forum so much, Phil. It's like a brick wall in here.

Isn’t it though? 💤 

• Sad 1

Dropped to 36.9°F Sunday AM. Coldest low of the season so far.

Might have to wait another few weeks for the first freeze.

2 hours ago, FAR_Weather said:

Midwest has a lot of members too (like me).

Would be awesome if the regional weather threads were all on 1 page so we could access them w/ fewer clicks.

• Snow 1

It’s fog season. Was pea soup last night..0.1 mile vis at best with a fine mist/drizzle.

Should be a recurring theme every night/early AM this week.

• 2 weeks later...

A much needed 2+ inches of rain thanks to Zeta and the ULL. Cool air advection took over quickly during the afternoon hours, now dropping into the 40s with rain continuing.

Should clear out tomorrow afternoon, ahead of a beautiful weekend. Thereafter, a powerful cold front is projected to blast through Sunday evening with possible squalls and 40-50mph wind gusts in its wake.

15 hours ago, Phil said:

A much needed 2+ inches of rain thanks to Zeta and the ULL. Cool air advection took over quickly during the afternoon hours, now dropping into the 40s with rain continuing.

Should clear out tomorrow afternoon, ahead of a beautiful weekend. Thereafter, a powerful cold front is projected to blast through Sunday evening with possible squalls and 40-50mph wind gusts in its wake.

Yeah it certainly does look like our first legitimate cold season northwest wind event sunday night into monday.

• Like 1

First surge of wind crossing the BR now. Should arrive here in ~ 1hr.

Winds have been cranking up at dolly sods since mid-afternoon with the dry advection and pressure surge behind the front. CAA lagging a bit.

image.thumb.jpeg.30e5f69e21cfe30d39a314ebce00d4e4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

The last five days have been gorgeous by November standards. Highs in the middle 70s with mostly sunny skies, and crisp mornings in the 40s.

Weather changes a bit this week, with a couple inches of rain likely, maybe some imbedded thunderstorms, followed by a prolonged stretch of westerly winds. 

2-3” of rain fell Wed/Thurs. Been pretty dry lately so it was welcome.

Today and tomorrow look fantastic. Sunny with highs ~ 60°F each day.

Looks like a violent frontal passage Sunday evening, though. I’m genuinely surprised LWX doesn’t mention it in the HWO..lots of wind aloft and mixing should be efficient near the boundary (and just behind it).

Probably short duration, but I think 50-55mph will be easily achieved in the favored locations (Ridges and areas near/north of the Potomac River).

The wind is starting to roar outside. We’re usually protected from S/SE winds by trees/hills but these are breaking through.

SPC issued slight risk for the squall line this evening. Should be some brief but rough gusts from the W/SW.

Temp up to 64°F.

That was pretty wild. Temp drop from 71 to 59 in 1min with a wall of 40mph winds, followed by a noticeably stronger 50-55mph push. Lasted maybe 15 minutes. 

Last night’s front recorded by my PWS. Some obstruction of wind by trees, but otherwise reflective of the progression.

The sensor also takes some time to respond to temp/humidity changes, but the temp drop was extremely fast using the psychro-dyne thermometer. Lost 11 degrees almost instantly, then dropped another 5 degrees over several additional minutes, before compressional heating/overturning by dry advection spiked temps a bit.

Decent frontal passage, all things considered.

image.thumb.jpeg.ee0cb3afab56eec11eb3cc75d870ef84.jpeg

Another breezy day today. Peak gust 47mph on my PWS, mixed down in showers which made it over the mountains. Was probably stronger in reality, away from tree obstruction.

image.thumb.jpeg.89a3deba43eccab0b18068c72a3b4654.jpeg

Had some lightning/thunder last night with the WAA precip. Now a beautiful day with temps approaching 70°F.

Mid-60s with 1.5” of rain/t-storms yesterday.

Mid-40s with snow/slush flurries and gusty NW winds today.

I like variability. 🙂