2020 Weather Mid Atlantic/Gulf Coast.

Phil

Nice little thunderstorm last night.

Also, man has it been cloudy lately. I can remember maybe one sunny day over the last 10+ days.

• 2 weeks later...

Some active spring weather this week.

Slight risk for severe weather today. First round of storms currently sliding south with 40-50mph winds mentioned in the Short Term Forecast from LWX. Watching for a second round later this evening and overnight with more wind potential? We’ll see.

Strong cold front on Thursday and probably advisory criteria gradient winds on Friday as well. Active and springlike for sure.

45-55mph NW winds have been pounding the house relentlessly since noon. Only just beginning to decline in intensity now.

Should be a repeat affair tomorrow.

Windy day in the Leesburg/Dulles area for sure. That afternoon pulse was pretty solid..constant 50-55mph for an hour or so.

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=KJYO&num=72&banner=NONE&hfmetars=1

XDAqatH.jpg

Pounding again this morning. Whirlwinds of spray blowing off the creek and high into the tree canopy with a few of the bigger gusts.

Just had a snow shower blow through. Haven’t seen snow in months and now it decides to start up again in mid April. Lol, gotta love spring.

• Like 1

1.43” of rain here this morning with intermittent thunder and lightning before sunrise. Clouds racing across the sky.

We’ve really lucked out in the surface wind department here so far. Very little of the LLJ has mixed down. Thankfully so, since the soil is saturated and the trees don’t establish to strong S/SW winds like they do W/NW winds.

Will have to see what happens in the near/post frontal window from 1:30-4:30pm. But if we make it through that, I’ll consider it a win.

My rule of thumb: Bet high on W/NW winds/CAA, and bet low on S/E winds/WAA.

• Like 1

1.43” of rain here this morning with intermittent thunder and lightning before sunrise. Clouds racing across the sky.

We’ve really lucked out in the surface wind department here so far. Very little of the LLJ has mixed down. Thankfully so, since the soil is saturated and the trees don’t establish to strong S/SW winds like they do W/NW winds.

Will have to see what happens in the near/post frontal window from 1:30-4:30pm. But if we make it through that, I’ll consider it a win.

really more of an typical Summer type line of storms that went through sort gusty winds at the on set then heavy rain with some thunder lighting but over all nothing that we have not seen before in fact we have seen worse.The morning Febuary Tornados I think was far more impressive here at least.The real dynamics ended up staying down in VA south where the maine part of the really bad Storms from yesterday track.We got the very Northern edge of the complex.So over all we lucked out from this event.Agree with southeast or south wind events in this region more times then they tend to underproduse where as wnw wind events tend to deliver for this reagion.I think for strong south or south east wind events we need a hurricane track like hazel or a triperphaser storm that tracks to the west.Other wise the West to North west wind events are still the King for this reagion.

It kind of amazes me how you easterners talk about 55 MPH wind gusts and 1.43" of rain in one morning as if it's completely normal.

I have not seen over an inch of rain fall in one day since February 2019.

• Like 1

It kind of amazes me how you easterners talk about 55 MPH wind gusts and 1.43" of rain in one morning as if it's completely normal.

I have not seen over an inch of rain fall in one day since February 2019.

It does come in quick bursts here. Especially in the summer, which is both the sunniest and wettest time of year with roughly 4-6”/month. However, the downside is you always run the risk of missing out, since you’re relying 100% on convection and not everyone will get it. And bad luck seems to run in streaks.

The summer of 2011 is a good example. It was extremely frustrating here. There was an impervious “anti-rainfall dome” overhead, which held firm all summer while everyone else got smashed. It didn’t break until hurricane Irene in late August, and from there the flooding rains continued into September. Just silliness.

• Like 1

Dropped to 31.3*F this morning. Frost on a number of surfaces. Not seeing much damage to foliage, thankfully.

• 2 weeks later...

Loving all this rain. Some heavy rain looking likely Wednesday night/Thursday in particular, which could take us up to 5-6” of rain for the month.

Trees are loving it too. Foliage is exploding despite the generally cooler than average temperatures over the last several weeks.

Closing in on 1” of rain for the day. Foliage has really erupted after a leveling off recently.

Finished April with 5.17” of rain. Loving this weather.

Another round of rain and thunderstorms possible Sunday evening/overnight. If wetter solutions verify with the stationary front stalling along the Potomac, we could be looking at another quick inch of rain. Love it. Guess it depends exactly where that zone of differential heating/relative humidity sets up, and how sharp it is.

I assume we’ll be paying for this wonderful weather at some point, so might as well get the water table as high as possible before the inevitable blow torch and flash drought during the dog days.

Nice little thunderstorm tonight. Decent amount of intracloud lightning with loud, booming thunder. Picked up a quick 0.71” of rain.

Sunny/breezy day behind the front. IAD to 40mph, DCA up to 44mph.

Warm/dry as well, with downsloping/insolation overwhelming CAA. Mid-70s throughout the DC metro with dewpoints in the 30s. Beautiful.

Now at 1.28” of rain through the first 6 days of May, after finishing April with 5.17”.

Let’s keep it coming. Winter/early spring was on the dry side, so this helps build the water table a bit.

LWX mentioning wind chills in the teens/20s early Saturday morning. Insanity for this late in the season.

More rain expected tomorrow ahead of the front. Going to vs some freaky weather this weekend for sure. Might even see a few snowflakes in the air.

It actually snowed as precip was shutting off. Well, it was at least a rain/snow mix. But holy cow this is insane.

Also, apparently the trees aren’t enjoying this sharp temp/dewpoint plunge. Hearing lots of pops and booms coming from the woods as winds rage. It’s a nearly constant roar right now.

I need time to adjust..too fast! Currently 87°F with a dewpoint of 64°.

Would be great weather by July/August standards, but I’m not acclimated yet.

This ULL is a gift from above. We’d be torching right now if it didn’t find a way to dive in during the transition.

Looks like a solid 4-5+ days of cool, cloudy weather. Dewpoints generally in the 50’s. Perfect.

• Like 1

Long range looks crappy. Summer heat ridge pattern with westerly flow aloft/southerly flow near the surface during the afternoons.

Noticeable breeze developing as of 1AM, as tropical storm Bertha skirts off to the SW. Currently 70°F and somewhat soupy.

First suckco day of the summer as temps got in the mid 90s reagion wide pa had some big storms but we are a tad to far south for much stuff today.but that likey should change tommore as the engery sifts into our reagion with a lessing of the west down sloping tommore should have more wide spread activity closer to home.

First suckco day of the summer as temps got in the mid 90s reagion wide pa had some big storms but we are a tad to far south for much stuff today.but that likey should change tommore as the engery sifts into our reagion with a lessing of the west down sloping tommore should have more wide spread activity closer to home.

Yup. High of 94.5° here, dewpoint ~ 70°F. Grotesque.

PA/NJ got crushed twice by QLCSs today. There was a gust to 89mph in Beach Haven, NJ.

• Like 1