The Weather Forums

2020 Weather Mid Atlantic/Gulf Coast.

Looks like a violent frontal passage Sunday evening, though. I’m genuinely surprised LWX doesn’t mention it in the HWO..lots of wind aloft and mixing should be efficient near the boundary (and just behind it).

Probably short duration, but I think 50-55mph will be easily achieved in the favored locations (Ridges and areas near/north of the Potomac River).

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to introduce a precip type that most of us have observed, but has not been categorized. I call it "sain." It is hard to see unless you are driving. When sain hits the windshield it splats

Good lord.      

Posted Images

The wind is starting to roar outside. We’re usually protected from S/SE winds by trees/hills but these are breaking through.

SPC issued slight risk for the squall line this evening. Should be some brief but rough gusts from the W/SW.

Temp up to 64°F.

That was pretty wild. Temp drop from 71 to 59 in 1min with a wall of 40mph winds, followed by a noticeably stronger 50-55mph push. Lasted maybe 15 minutes. 

Last night’s front recorded by my PWS. Some obstruction of wind by trees, but otherwise reflective of the progression.

The sensor also takes some time to respond to temp/humidity changes, but the temp drop was extremely fast using the psychro-dyne thermometer. Lost 11 degrees almost instantly, then dropped another 5 degrees over several additional minutes, before compressional heating/overturning by dry advection spiked temps a bit.

Decent frontal passage, all things considered.

image.thumb.jpeg.ee0cb3afab56eec11eb3cc75d870ef84.jpeg

Another breezy day today. Peak gust 47mph on my PWS, mixed down in showers which made it over the mountains. Was probably stronger in reality, away from tree obstruction.

image.thumb.jpeg.89a3deba43eccab0b18068c72a3b4654.jpeg

Had some lightning/thunder last night with the WAA precip. Now a beautiful day with temps approaching 70°F.