Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

Color me impressed. The 18z GFS not only doesn't go toward the ECMWF it's actually colder than the previous few GFS runs. 510 thickness line much further south.

It did shift north. The 00Z will be much more telling. If the 18Z GFS was showing a sunny day in July just 4 days away and EPS mean showed rain... I would not be too hopeful.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Looks snowy. But I’ll be skeptical if we don’t get decent snow tonight

One has nothing to do with the other. We could get no snow tonight and be buried on Thursday. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

500mb tells the story. The energy with the shortwave de-amplifies as it approach the coast and subsequently the surface reflection weakens as well.

Yeah you can see why the modeling leans that way but it’s still a pretty unlikely scenario.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Looks snowy. But I’ll be skeptical if we don’t get decent snow tonight

The interesting thing about the 12z Euro is it was worse from the very start.  Tonight's event, how cold it gets, how robust of a northerly gradient we have tomorrow evening, the mid week low, etc.  If the thing tonight goes well it will make me feel a lot better.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Newbie here - been lurking for about a week. Possibly seeing some snow in Lynnwood, but I can't really commit because I don't want to jinx it. :D

(Total snow fanatic here! I can't get enough of it! So happy to have found this community - thanks Jake!)

We need to clean up our act!

Welcome. :)

looks like the next c-zone is trying to take aim directly at seattle.

I think this one will dissipate and a new one will form North of Everett in North Snohomish/South Skagit County.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

I think this one will dissipate and a new one will form North of Everett in North Snohomish/South Skagit County.

I agree.

I don't see anything taking aim at Seattle right now.

It has dropped below 40F here (after a high of 45F). Who knows, maybe tomorrow will be below average  :lol:

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

looked like some light radar returns off the NE Olympics were indicating it continuing over Seattle still but wouldn't surprise me if it went to the Snohomish Skagit line either. Not likely the c-zone will hit me tonight anyways lol.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Starting to be able to see the WRF is wrong now.

Here is what it showed from 1-4 p.m.

Should be dry in Bothell and dumping snow here.   Neither are happening.

ww-snow3-12-0000.gif

Winter Storm Watch upgraded to a Warning for EPSL. A little surprised they didn't downgrade to a WWA. Calling for 2-4 inches instead of 2-6.

Edit: Looks like they did downgrade for the I-5 corridor.

Ya just downgraded to advisory here. That’s too bad and the upcoming week not looking as good.

Huh, maybe the 18Z wasn't that bad.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Pretty much cut back on totals everywhere with the latest graphic.

Monroe was 4-6 inches this morning, now 1-2.

Everett was 3-4 now less than 1.

Mt. Vernon 1-2 now less than 1.

Seattle 2-3 now less than 1.

But hey, look, North Bend was the only place that totals went up! Was 3-4 inches now 4-6.

zmRXFwu.jpg

It's not right. Elevation confusion there. Happens all the time out here on those maps.

Pretty much cut back on totals everywhere with the latest graphic.

Monroe was 4-6 inches this morning, now 1-2.

Everett was 3-4 now less than 1.

Mt. Vernon 1-2 now less than 1.

Seattle 2-3 now less than 1.

But hey, look, North Bend was the only place that totals went up! Was 3-4 inches now 4-6.

zmRXFwu.jpg

Makes no sense to me.

I'm not saying this map will be wrong, but I haven't seen anything happen to warrent changing the forecast that dramatically.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Yeah 18z GFS is not what we wanted to see. Significantly less snow than the 12z. At this point an inch or two on either Monday or Wednesday is looking like the realistic upper bound for this in PDX. Whatever falls will be gone fairly soon in the southerly flow after.

I think Wednesday still has the potential to drop 2-5 inches. Strong systems bring lots of surprises, to say the least. It's basically an unchanged run, hopefully the weirdly deviatory EURO will compromise for once.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

I think Wednesday still has the potential to drop 2-5 inches. Strong systems bring lots of surprises, to say the least. It's basically an unchanged run, hopefully the weirdly deviatory EURO will compromise for once.

The Euro is by no means an outlier. None of the models are at this point because it’s been handled pretty poorly so far but if anything the GFS is more outlierish.

• Like 3

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Makes no sense to me.

I'm not saying this map will be wrong, but I haven't seen anything happen to warrent changing the forecast that dramatically.

Different shift. Must be a more conservative shift working.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!