Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

Better get those grades up if you want into school and continue into grad school. Super important. I learned the hard way and failed out of college to only go back years later for my undergrad and grad degrees. Much easier at a younger age

What did you go to grad school in?

C'mon convergence zone! Make like K%%'s grades and slide south!!!

...thanks for that one.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

I'm looking at WSU and Whittier (Los Angeles)-- and of course OSU and UofO. Part of my irritation on the weather front definitely stems from other life issues (I don't think I'm the only one that can say that) including horrifically bad grades the past year or so, so I'm a bit worried if any of those colleges will accept me haha

Too much time spent on online weather forums?

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Too much time spent on online weather forums?

Yeah, that's probably it, I guess. Oh well.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's basically almost too late at this point for any appreciable increase (or decrease). I've pretty much accepted my failings.

Bro, I dropped out of high school as a senior, went back and got my GED, then went to community college for an associate’s degree before transferring to UMD the BS/MS (which I’m still working on). You’re already better off than I was at your age. Oh, and I got put on academic probation during my first semester at college. So I’ve been through it all.

But seriously..f**king Los Angeles? Do you want your passion for weather to die completely? Go somewhere that will enable your passions, not kill them. LA sucks. And so do liberal arts schools.

• Like 5

It's basically almost too late at this point for any appreciable increase (or decrease). I've pretty much accepted my failings.

If you go to Whittier, have a plan earlish on what you want to do after graduation.

I went to a liberal arts school - I wouldn't exactly call it a way to find a job straight out of there.

Also, grades are not everything for college admission. Don't fret too hard, but also don't slack because you think everything has been decided already. That's a hole you don't want to be in.

• Like 1

Bro, I dropped out of high school as a senior, went back and got my GED, then went to community college for an associate’s degree before transferring to UMD the BS/MS (which I’m still working on). You’re already better off than I was at your age. Oh, and I got put on academic probation during my first semester at college. So I’ve been through it all.

But seriously..f**king Los Angeles? Do you want your passion for weather to die completely? Go somewhere that will enable your passions, not kill them. LA sucks.

Thats awesome phil. I agree. Hit up community college, take it serious, and transfer to a reputable school that has a good meteorology program.

• Like 2

But seriously..f**king Los Angeles? Do you want your passion for weather to die completely? Go somewhere that will enable your passions, not kill them. LA sucks. And so do liberal arts schools.

Definitely having resignations about Los Angeles. I'm also applying to Indiana Univ. at Bloomington fwiw, so we'll see how that one goes. I don't plan to pursue meteorology though-- planning to major in business and minor in psych.

It's awesome that you can turn a situation around like that. I'm not a very hopeful person, but that's definitely reassuring, so thank you.

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Definitely having resignations about Los Angeles. I'm also applying to Indiana Univ. at Bloomington fwiw, so we'll see how that one goes. I don't plan to pursue meteorology though-- planning to major in business and minor in psych.

It's awesome that you can turn a situation around like that. I'm not a very hopeful person, but that's definitely reassuring, so thank you.

bro u got this good luck!! I went on academic probation last year for the first time ever and now I have made deans list 3 times since that. Just bug the crap out of your teachers to get the help u need❄❄
  • Like 1

It's unbelievable that we ration out economic success to people based on their grades as idiot adolescents well before their brains are even done developing. That being said, the idea many teenagers have that you need to get into a high end college right out of High School in order to live a successful life is untrue, especially if you have a support system around you.

Hoping to see some flakes before I go to bed tonight but the Coast Range has been completely owning all of the precip. Sad.

• Like 4

You can do (almost) anything you put your mind to. The only thing stopping you is *you*. :)

• Like 1

OMG!  I hadn't looked at the radar for a while and it's looking really good.  The zone is still very robust and moving south.  Nice to see the cold air working down from Bellingham so quickly.  This might turn out to be something very good yet.

• Like 8

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Most likely option for me is OSU. I once got a letter from MSU in Bozeman, which also sounds good. Definitely want to stay out west and in-state is much more affordable than out of state. Not sure about major yet but computer science is a probable option. Ideally I'd like to have a job someday where I can work remotely and I'm not tied to a specific location.

I've considered UW and UC Davis as well, but both have very high out of state tuition.

My GPA is in the 3.75 range, if anyone wants to know.

• Like 2

Most likely option for me is OSU. I once got a letter from MSU in Bozeman, which also sounds good. Definitely want to stay out west and in-state is much more affordable than out of state. Not sure about major yet but computer science is a probable option. Ideally I'd like to have a job someday where I can work remotely and I'm not tied to a specific location.

I've considered UW and UC Davis as well, but both have very high out of state tuition.

My GPA is in the 3.75 range, if anyone wants to know.

I wanted to know.

• Like 1

The 0z GFS bottomed out at -13.2 on the 850s for SEA with the ensemble mean back to -14.  Trending colder in the home stretch.  Too bad that mid week system looks to be so strong.  A weaker system could be amazing for many of us.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The 0z GFS bottomed out at -13.2 on the 850s for SEA with the ensemble mean back to -14. Trending colder in the home stretch. Too bad that mid week system looks to be so strong. A weaker system could be amazing for many of us.

Still time for it to trend that way again I suppose. Just like the shot of cold air started trending colder right as everyone was thinking it was DOA.

I think, for one last bit of self-psychoanalysis, another reason why I enjoy snow that much is the impact that it has on every day routine. There are things that I don't have to deal with on a snow day, and it offers me some sort of respite from any kind of worry. Anyways, let it snow. Sorry that I let my personal issues impact how I interacted with others on this blog.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

I think, for one last bit of self-psychoanalysis, another reason why I enjoy snow that much is the impact that it has on every day routine. There are things that I don't have to deal with on a snow day, and it offers me some sort of respite from any kind of worry. Anyways, let it snow. Sorry that I let my personal issues impact how I interacted with others on this blog .

Dude, I really wouldn’t worry about it. You are far from the only one.

• Like 4

Hmmm...

The last few GFS runs have hinted at interesting potential later in the month again.  A lot of blocking.

I have to say if it really gets as cold is the GFS is showing tomorrow night and Tuesday the mid week snow may still be on.  The models have been abnormally unstable with that.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This arctic front is somewhat impressive due to the strong pressure gradient. Hope BC went down to 11F from the peak of the day at 33F (11am). Abbotsford dropped to 22F from 35F within 4 hours with a band of heavy snow. That band dropped a good 2" of snow here in Langley.

• Like 2

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=sew&sid=LLFW1&num=48&raw=0&dbn=mThis is the nearest obs to my cabin. Impressive temp drop. It's about 6 miles away from my cabin.

Wow!  Definite Arctic front.  I'm beginning to think we may see some impressive cold after all.  All models agree we will have favorable pressure gradients tomorrow night to fully flood the Seattle area with cold from Whatcom County.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9