Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

What I’m learning is that people have no idea you can look at a Radar image to see roughly where it is snowing and when you can expect it to maybe end.

• Like 1

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

Any good news for us Portlanders?

18z GFS looks a bit wetter with the Wednesday system. Still 60 hours out. I hope it doesn't trend in the direction of the GEM where the low is even further offshore and goes to north Vancouver island. That would be a trace of snow to all rain quickly. 

Unfortunately there isn't a single ensemble member in any of these models that shows a real favorable track for that low. Some are just less bad than others. The best outcome here is to get a small accumulation before the low pulls too far north and the south winds kick in. 2-4 inches is still not off the table and that would hardly be bad. It is probably a best case scenario at this point however.

sn10_024h.us_nw.png

• Like 1

No mention in the afternoon AFD of what we've been discussing for the potential tonight.

They talk about something similar happening tomorrow night, which made me go back and double check we were reading the dates/times correctly, which we were.

Oh well, will be a surprise to (almost) everybody if it does happen! Sometimes those are the best.

Jaya appears onboard.

No mention in the afternoon AFD of what we've been discussing for the potential tonight.

They talk about something similar happening tomorrow night, which made me go back and double check we were reading the dates/times correctly, which we were.

Oh well, will be a surprise to (almost) everybody if it does happen! Sometimes those are the best.

Also, I am not seeing what they are seeing for tomorrow night, I only see what they are describing is shown to happen tonight.

I did the same thing. Maybe they were reading time wrong because not even talking about it is weird.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

I hope this whole experience reminds some of you to not rush to tell family/friends/co-workers that an arctic blast is coming after several runs showing an arctic blast, wait until an hour before it hits, then spill the beans. I think some here jinxed it by talking about it too soon.

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

Great day to hit Stevens for some skiing...Shouldn’t be crowded since you can only access the summit from the east side of the state.

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The radio wants to know what’s on everyone’s last minute snow storm shopping list?

Kleenex...For all of the tears that will be shed tonight.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Kleenex...For all of the tears that will be shed tonight.

Ya'll will be fine! At least some of you depending on how the bands of snow setup (if the NAM is to be believed).

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"