Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

Cold air really taking a beating in the Puget Sound. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Cold air really taking a beating in the Puget Sound. 

It never really got much past Seattle anyways.   It limped in very slowly and spent about 12 hours before retreating.

SEA was 37 yesterday and 36 today... and should be around 38 tomorrow.   

Coldest temp for this event so far has been 28 and that might stand... coldest temp in November was 26.

Snowfall total at SEA has been 0.7 but places just to the north and easy did much better obviously.   And then you compare Seattle numbers to Bellingham and its pretty incredible.  I guess nothing is ever a sure thing.until it happens.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It never really got much past Seattle anyways.   It limped in very slowly and spent about 12 hours before retreating.

Coldest temp for this event so far has been 28 and that might stand... coldest temp in November was 26.

Snowfall total at SEA has been 0.7 but places just to the north and easy did much better obviously.   And then you compare Seattle number to Bellingham and its pretty incredible.  I guess nothing is ever a sure thing.until it happens.

Kind of interesting to see the different airmasses at play. Gradients down here are pretty flat so we're sitting in the mid-20s right now. Beautiful night. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

It never really got much past Seattle anyways. It limped in very slowly and spent about 12 hours before retreating.

Snowfall total at SEA has been 0.7 but places just to the north and easy did much better obviously. And then you compare Seattle numbers to Bellingham and its pretty incredible. I guess nothing is ever a sure thing.until it happens.

I mean the cold is there and it’s quite impressive. Just couldn’t dig enough.

• Like 1

It’s been going between light and heavy snow showers but hasn’t amounted to much. Very windy though. It’s been snowing almost nonstop since Sunday but just enough to keep replenishing what is on the ground. Don’t think I have ever experienced something like this before. Wish it could have accumulated more but was fun to have all the snow in the air and the slightly wintry scenes.

Kind of interesting to see the different airmasses at play. Gradients down here are pretty flat so we're sitting in the mid-20s right now. Beautiful night. 

We are normally fairly protected from the south wind... but tonight the wind is roaring.   I can hear it inside the house.   All the snow has been knocked of the trees.   North Bend is up to 34 now.

And yet all of King County could be down into the 20s by morning.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It never really got much past Seattle anyways. It limped in very slowly and spent about 12 hours before retreating.

Snowfall total at SEA has been 0.7 but places just to the north and easy did much better obviously. And then you compare Seattle numbers to Bellingham and its pretty incredible. I guess nothing is ever a sure thing.until it happens.

had a low of 28 and a high of 29 until an hour or so ago when this storm came in which was kind of interesting.

The band is actually tightening up... shrinking from the north as well.    The models showed that happening this evening.   That should help focus the heavy snow right over Randy for a few hours tonight.   And that would be nice... poor guy.

Then it really starts shifting north and has cleared even Victoria and Vancouver by dawn.   

Snowfall total at SEA has been 0.7 but places just to the north and easy did much better obviously.   And then you compare Seattle numbers to Bellingham and its pretty incredible.  I guess nothing is ever a sure thing.until it happens.

It is pretty amazing. My high here today was 30. A little bit of elevation made a big difference today, over here anyway.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

The band is actually tightening up... shrinking from the north as well. The models showed that happening this evening. That should help focus the heavy snow right over Randy for a few hours tonight. And that would be nice... poor guy.

Then it really starts shifting north and has cleared even Victoria and Vancouver by dawn.

Yeah the snow has been lacking for sure here today!

Currently spewing snow still and 28.0 degrees.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Very light snow here since early evening but only added 1/2" to my totall.  A little too far south for the moisture coming down the straits and a little too far north for the wrap around.  Not complaining just observing.  31F now which is the high for the day so far.  I suspect I'll be above freezing by morning.  Always sad, the end of a snow event.

Very light snow here since early evening but only added 1/2" to my totall. A little too far south for the moisture coming down the straits and a little too far north for the wrap around. Not complaining just observing. 31F now which is the high for the day so far. I suspect I'll be above freezing by morning. Always sad, the end of a snow event.

Wow! What a difference a few miles makes!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Tim! Do I stay below freezing into tomorrow morning?

It would appear not... unless your protected yard is a little colder.

South wind arrives around 4 or 5 a.m. and the ECMWF shows a temp of around 35 by dawn... but then only 36 or 37 for a high.    Dewpoint will be in the 20s during the afternoon... so it won't really melt.   

Haha they just closed all Seattle schools for tomorrow saying that it is due to some upcoming inclement weather. Not sure if they are seeing something or what but last night and this morning was definitely worse than it seems like it will be tomorrow and they had school today.

What’s weird is that it’s so cold here yet within about 24 hours it will be raining and melting. The cold can hold on for a bit up against the Coast Mountains and particularly in the eastern Fraser Valley, but Bellingham is perfectly placed to get the mild marine air the moment the wind shifts. It will be as sudden and dramatic exiting the arctic blast as it was entering it.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Just saw Seattle Public Schools are closed for tomorrow after “review of road conditions”

This was updated at 9:30pm.

Huh?? Lol???

Wow.   That is exactly what I was saying last week.   There is a little snow on the ground somewhere.   Shut it down!  

It would appear not... unless your protected yard is a little colder.

South wind arrives around 4 or 5 a.m. and the ECMWF shows a temp of around 35 by dawn... but then only 36 or 37 for a high. Dewpoint will be in the 20s during the afternoon... so it won't really melt.

Thanks! Just wondering how gooey all of this snow is going to get by the AM. Glad to hear the DP’s remain in the 20’s.

Just saw Seattle Public Schools are closed for tomorrow after “review of road conditions”

This was updated at 9:30pm.

Huh?? Lol???

The phantom snow has been very heavy tonight!
  • Like 1