Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

Could be interesting late morning into the afternoon for seattle. Probably part of the reason seattle decided to close schools today. Temp is actually supposed to drop a bit as the precip hits today and would start out as some heavy snow.

The temp will probably drop as precip moves in... the dewpoint will be low. 

But the precip is also being shredded by the east wind at that time.     I don't think there will be "heavy" precip of any type in Seattle or King County today.   

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip-1h

The precip band lifts through the Seattle area between roughly 1-4 p.m. and then moves on.   This is not a transition event followed by a long period of rain.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Managed 28f this am.  Just a whisper of an easterly drift.  I see Winthrop made it down to -5f this am with just under a foot on the ground.  They look as does Leavenworth to do well with snow today.  Leavenworth will scour out before Winthrop but it looks to be a slow turnover. 

• Like 1

But the precip is also being shredded by the east wind at that time. I don't think there will be "heavy" precip of any type in Seattle or King County today.

The precip band lifts through the Seattle area between roughly 1-4 p.m. and then moves on. This is not a transition event followed by a long period of rain.

Thankfully no heavy rain!! When do DP’s go above 32?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Moon setting as the sun is rising. The wind took most of the snow off the trees.... but you can clearly see where the wind hit and did not.  And it did not reach the top. The wind was from coming left to right in this pic.

20200115-072255.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Been 32F most of the night. Nice and crispy out there. Hopefully next year will bring the region something historic. I’m thinking probly not but I also think 21-22 will be epic.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Yeah it's been awhile since we've had a powerful upslope event here. Probably 2008 was the last big one. Will you see temp drop there with the offshore today or will you warm?

Snowmizer-  What do you see for Bainbridge?

I see different solutions, some not reaching eastern side of the peninsula, but the 12K Nam pretty much destroys it starting around 2.

What are your thoughts for today on the eastern side of Kitsap?

The island mostly missed out last night. I  have snow, but not a lot. Much more farther North.

Nothing to 2" depending on the surface.  Temp holding at 33 dp 28.

Edit-   am at 31 deg.  Forgot about the 2 degree bias my weather station has.  No joke. 

Thanks

But the precip is also being shredded by the east wind at that time.     I don't think there will be "heavy" precip of any type in Seattle or King County today.   

The precip band lifts through the Seattle area between roughly 1-4 p.m. and then moves on.   This is not a transition event followed by a long period of rain.  

Can you post total snow ending at 10 pm?  Might as well get expectations leveled out right away this morning.   :P   Thanks Tim

Wow! What an incredible event!

Fell asleep waiting for the last shower to pass so I could get a final measurement for the night. Stayed on the north side of the front until 10:30 when the snowflake bombs began to drop and we shot up to 31F, but that's when it really started to accumulate.

Received 5" between 7 pm and midnight and another 2" after midnight which gave me a total for January 14 of 8.5" and a storm total of 10.75". For comparison, this is about half an inch less than I received during all of last winter.

Snow depth is about 8-9", deeper than anything I've had since 2011, or maybe even 2008. Now with the temperature at 33F the melt begins. I'll post some pics later.

You were due for a good event. I remember you being just too far south for a majority of the action the past few years I've lived here in Glenhaven. This will be my last winter here because I'm forced to sell, and I'll miss it. Fücking ex wives I tell ya

• Like 1

Definitely seems like it will be a bit reminiscent of 2004-05 and 1980-81, both of which had nice events for NW WA and SW BC but sucked for the rest of the region.

Good news is the mountains are currently doing a lot better than those two years, but we're going right back into a bone dry pattern after this week probably for the foreseeable future.

Looks like some warm front drizzle 22nd-24th, but that’s just as boring and no better at all.

Snowmizer- What do you see for Bainbridge?

I see different solutions, some not reaching eastern side of the peninsula, but the 12K Nam pretty much destroys it starting around 2.

The island mostly missed out last night. I have snow, but not a lot. Much more farther North.

Nothing to 2" depending on the surface. Temp holding at 33 dp 28.

Edit- am at 31 deg. Forgot about the 2 degree bias my weather station has. No joke.

Thanks

Curious about this as well. Working at the suquamish fire station today and wonder what impacts snow/wind wise will be to our side of the peninsula.

Can you post total snow ending at 10 pm? Might as well get expectations leveled out right away this morning. :P Thanks Tim

It jumps into the low 40s during the night.. but here is total snow between now and tomorrow morning at this time.

20200115-073929.jpg

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

It jumps into the low 40s during the night.. but here is total snow between now and tomorrow morning at this time.

20200115-073929.jpg

Thanks and I don't care if gets warm tonight.  I expect that.  Care more about daylight hours and timing.  That doesn't look too great.  I was hoping for a snowy, messy kind of day to end this.

Snowmizer-  What do you see for Bainbridge?

The island mostly missed out last night. I  have snow, but not a lot. Much more farther North.

Nothing to 2" depending on the surface.  Temp holding at 33 dp 28.

Edit-   am at 31 deg.  Forgot about the 2 degree bias my weather station has.  No joke. 

Thanks Going to be a very sharp cut off point from snow to maybe nothing at all. I would say the range for kitsap would be 1/2 inch east to over a foot far west but the latest 12z run looks splitty so might be hard to say. Friday night looks pretty good also.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

about 4 inches. Temp down to 29 now. Later today should be fun here.

Kitsap peninsula especially farther west is gonna get nailed. These types of events tend to way over perform too.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Looks like the wind event for Whatcom county is being downgraded,  we were looking at a high wind watch yesterday and now it is just a wind advisory.

How much snow did you get in the hills last night? Bet it’s more than the 5“ I got down here in the flats.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

How much snow did you get in the hills last night? Bet it’s more than the 5“ I got down here in the flats.

I had a lot of drifts so it was hard to get a good reading, but I think we got about 5” as well, *maybe* 6”. I’m sure they did even better further up the hill.  I’m only at 325 feet.

• Like 1