Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

It might be like February where I see a lot of flakes in the air, but not much accumulation. 

I think the way EURO handles that first system is very reminiscent of a mostly-West Hills snow event, with slushy accumulation on the floor. Thursday's our chance, I think.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

ECMWF shows persistent light snow all of Monday and Tuesday for the Seattle.   But only adds up to maybe half an inch to an inch total... and high temps are in the mid to upper 30s on Monday and mid 30s on Tuesday.     I can't remember seeing that set up before.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Assuming the snowfall over Snoqualmie Valley shown is just it catching the 2000'+ sticking snow of tonight through tomorrow for the surrounding mountains? Makes estimating difficult for Preston eastward..

Yeah... its almost impossible.

But you are right that its picking up snow tonight that is really above at least 1,500 feet.   There just happens to be lots of areas around higher than 1,500 feet so it all blends together.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

He's all in to the extreme with the kuchera maps

He was downplaying and now he is over-hyping.   That is just a ridiculous map based on the actual details of the GFS run.    Tell me when Seattle gets almost a foot of snow.   Run the loop.   Its not there.  Dumb.

A little bit of north sound snowfall Tuesday night into Wednesday morning. I'll take all that I can get.

northsoundsnowfall.png

• Like 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

Can you post total through Tuesday !

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total-sno

Unfortunately most of that probably melts for the Seattle area.   A little comes on Sunday night and Monday morning but temps are well above freezing Monday... then a little more Tuesday and its above freezing again that day.    It might be lots of snow in the air and its gets more overstated in the snow map over a long period of time.

00z Euro really only shows a little break in the very light snowfall around Western WA that happens early Wednesday.

Otherwise, it shows snow at least flying in the air Monday, Tuesday, and later Wednesday.

Really pays to be along the boundary in situations like this.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

The only nice thing about Monday thru Wednesday is that it looks like it’s going to lightly snowing most of the time. That’s special

Unique set up.   I am curious what it will look like on radar.

Unfortunately most of that probably melts for the Seattle area. A little comes on Sunday night and Monday morning but temps are well above freezing Monday... then a little more Tuesday and its above freezing again that day. It might be lots snow in the air and its gets more overstated in the snow map over a long period of time.

This might be the best recent run.

Unfortunately most of that probably melts for the Seattle area. A little comes on Sunday night and Monday morning but temps are well above freezing Monday... then a little more Tuesday and its above freezing again that day. It might be lots snow in the air and its gets more overstated in the snow map over a long period of time.

Cmon man, he only asked for a map total, not your analysis.

Unfortunately most of that probably melts for the Seattle area. A little comes on Sunday night and Monday morning but temps are well above freezing Monday... then a little more Tuesday and its above freezing again that day. It might be lots of snow in the air and its gets more overstated in the snow map over a long period of time.

Could you post high temp maps for western Wa each day this coming week?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Far better run for Seattle. I'm sure Portland eeks out a dusting for the Thursday storm but far less than earlier. Shows how we're far from finding out where the models will take this thing.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"