Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

Iv'e been through this type of pattern here before and i will be getting gas for the generator. This will be a tree busting power out snow storm here. Looks like i will get hit again saturday and sunday before the snow level lifts. Also notices the gfs is hanging the second system out to see further slowing the warming trend.

Yep... seems like lows are farther offshore which delays warm up. This becomes a cold air damming special after today.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Started snowing up here about 6:45 or so, coming down a a good clip.  Got down to 15 at my house.

Radar indicates the fun is almost over, but this is the first shower that made it mostly intact to Bellingham without being mostly evaporated by the outflow. Hopefully more to come.

It is quite rare to see it snowing at this temperature in this climate.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Ended up with about 5.5" from this event. Respectable. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

This will probably be very unpredictable tonight. The storm track is aimed right at the Olympics and it looks like energy will be diverted around the north and south of the Mountains. This image kinda shows this idea.

Yeah that’s a solid 7 or 8 inches for me. We can only hope :)

Hey look, another hole for Kent/Covington/Maple Valley! <_>

Common thread in many models over the past couple days for each of these 'events'. Too north for the stuff heading south around the Olympics, too south for the CZ and stuff heading north around the Olympics.

Obviously too early to say how things will play out, but certainly doesn't feel like our time. Everett gets nailed again though so that's nice.

Of course the Olympics is cock-blocking the moisture.

Not all that surprising considering it’s aiming straight east.

Guidance is looking good. EC is playing it super conservative

4-6” is probably a little too conservative unless that band misses to our south. It’s pretty narrow.

As that storm comes North tomorrow I think Nanaimo to Comox are going to get nuked. Strong winds and heavy snow. Too bad that storm couldn’t have come closer to the coast before blowing up

4-6” is probably a little too conservative unless that band misses to our south. It’s pretty narrow.

As that storm comes North tomorrow I think Nanaimo to Comox are going to get nuked. Strong winds and heavy snow. Too bad that storm couldn’t have come closer to the coast before blowing up

My personal forecast is 6-9 inches for myself, 8-11 for you. I don’t think environment Canada wants to add those numbers until they’re absolutely convinced they’re gonna haooen

im impressed and a little optimistic with the consistency the gfs has had for snow in Columbia county for tomorrow for about a week now.

The other models turn the flow due southerly much quicker. The GFS insists on a more ESE gradient north of the river, which allows the main round of precip overnight to stay snow.

Definitely some similarities to January 17-18, 2012 with what it's been showing locally. Scappoose picked up 11" with that and Ridgefield had about 6" as the flow stayed ESE the entire night. South of the river it turned to rain pretty quickly and then it was all rain south of Tualatin.

• Like 1

Looks like a good band of showers is curving its way toward the north sound from the straight and Clallam County. 

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

WRF from 4PM tonight through 4PM tomorrow.

About the exact same spot for the southern edge of the band as the 00z. At least it didn't trend further north like everything else.

ww_snow24.36.0000.gif

Don't care for how close to the edge of that I am

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

The other models turn the flow due southerly much quicker. The GFS insists on a more ESE gradient north of the river, which allows the main round of precip overnight to stay snow.

Definitely some similarities to January 17-18, 2012 with what it's been showing locally. Scappoose picked up 11" with that and Ridgefield had about 6" as the flow stayed ESE the entire night. South of the river it turned to rain pretty quickly and then it was all rain south of Tualatin.

GFS  has been kind to Washington County for tomorrow, I hope reality will too. Hillsboro area will probably warm up too fast from the southerlies though.

I'd be pleased to get an inch before the changeover. 

Got down to 33F at about 7AM.  Up to 35F now.  Occasional light rain overnight but I didn't notice any snow mixing in.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope