Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

So are we thinking Kuchera ratio might be more accurate given the current conditions?

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

Skagit and Clallam counties are ground zero for tonight, per the RGEM.

If I remember Randy's black dot on the map, I think he gets around 10 inches on this.

1579100400-V0WgMoBKPwI.png

That looks amazing! I would definitely be down for that, but don’t want the northward trend to continue.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

Only up to 32 back at home.

Let's hope in 10 mins the 18z NAM shifts everything 70 miles south and buries everywhere from Olympia to Everett. (Sorry Skagit Weather, MossMan... It's a dog eat dog world out there.)

It's going to move north to them no matter where it starts. ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I have religiously followed the weather models for the past 3 weeks for our potential January event. I won’t even get one snowflake in Tigard in the end.

Oh well, I guess this is part of why snow events are so fun and exciting around here!

Yeah it's pretty brutal. Mother nature should factor in how hard we've worked on model riding when deciding our snowfall fate. A good reminder that even if 95% of ECMWF ensemble members think it will snow at least 6 inches in PDX in 96 hours, you can end up with exactly 0 inches. 

Most models not named the GFS look real aggressive with the WAA for tomorrow. I think it could even just start as rain in many places. 

• Like 1

I made it through the night topping out at 101.8

Nasty fever.

Ended up with 1" here in the swamp.  Pretty much it for this round of winter fun.

This next load, based on eyeballing the satellite looks to be even further north than what is modeled.

Someone up around Forks is going to score big time.

Stick a fork in the south sound.

• Like 1

40s seem doubtful in Vancouver Thursday

We will see... a strong low and strong SE winds would do the trick.   The ECMWF shows strong SE winds farther up the strait than just Vancouver.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-wnd10m-st

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I made it through the night topping out at 101.8

Nasty fever.

Ended up with 1" here in the swamp.  Pretty much it for this round of winter fun.

This next load, based on eyeballing the satellite looks to be even further north than what is modeled.

Someone up around Forks is going to score big time.

Stick a fork in the south sound.

Washing my forks currently

One thing about the Flu, when you mend you feel like King of the World right after!!! 

Yup. 26 will still be down there yelling “hello up there!!!”

It’ll be ok. The January progression sort of caught me off guard this year too. I figured if we managed some cold it would have been of the ridgierier variety like in November.

It’ll be ok. The January progression sort of caught me off guard this year too. I figured if we managed some cold it would have been of the ridgierier variety like in November.

Me too. Not exactly a dry side blockfest and the mountains look fairly healthy. Should keep some of the dramatic hand-wringing at least somewhat muted if things get warmer and drier later this year. One Tim is plenty!

• Like 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Real nice shower right now. Big flakes!

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

Me too. Not exactly a dry side blockfest and the mountains look fairly healthy. Should keep some of the dramatic hand-wringing at least somewhat muted if things get warmer and drier later this year. One Tim is plenty!

It’s been great to see ytd precip and snowpack slowly creep toward average. But that doesn’t mean you are off the hook from having to hear about the need for a hideously cool and wet spring. You know that. ;)

Yeah it's pretty brutal. Mother nature should factor in how hard we've worked on model riding when deciding our snowfall fate. A good reminder that even if 95% of ECMWF ensemble members think it will snow at least 6 inches in PDX in 96 hours, you can end up with exactly 0 inches. 

Most models not named the GFS look real aggressive with the WAA for tomorrow. I think it could even just start as rain in many places. 

This is the second year in a row where ensembles showed within 3-5 days incredibly high odds that we would end up with "significant snow" in the Portland area....and both times...skunked.

I'm glad I didn't buy that snow shovel.  Saving my money for my retirement condo in Flagstaff. :)   

• Like 2

GFS is really holding on, wow. Not a single other model shows even flurries for Portland tomorrow.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

As, most likely, the resident Dodgers fan here, it gives me little solice knowing the 2 WS opponents we faced were in all likelihood cheating. They may have the "*" now, but still keep their trophies.

I’m a Yankees fan so I’m certainly biased, but there were so many “suspicious” swings from those two teams that you had to figure something was up before all this came out.

It’s been great to see ytd precip and snowpack slowly creep toward average. But that doesn’t mean you are off the hook from having to hear about the need for a hideously cool and wet spring. You know that. ;)

Time will tell. I actually think this one will be pretty unsettled if we can manage a warmer February. We’re very dew.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

It's been lightly snowing in Silverdale for the past hour or two, small gentle flakes.

Temp up to 30.7 now from a low of 27.3 overnight.

Preparing to get buried tonight by another 4-7" as some models have shown, but I know how fickle these things can be.

• Like 1

Perfect illustration of how this week has gone so far.

That band has been sitting there for at least the past hour... 5 miles away from my house (mouse pointer).

Five. Miles.

a0N3tvx.png

I used to live in Maple Valley! Nice place, wasn't a fan of the winters though

• Like 2

Pretty sure 2/24/19 and 4/7/19 proved it isn't always "trend north" or "trend south", it's "Screw Portland as hard as possible".

We'll have our time someday. Not this year, but some other time.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Perfect illustration of how this week has gone so far.

That band has been sitting there for at least the past hour... 5 miles away from my house (mouse pointer).

Five. Miles.

a0N3tvx.png

If it makes you feel any better, Seattle is currently in between two bands instead of under them. Perfect illustration of how this week has gone so far.
  • Like 1

Getting some pretty major dumpage here in Everett the last 20-30 minutes from a popup shower. Looks like we picked up another half inch in that time to go along with the 1" from last night and 5.5" Sunday night.

It's like a Winter Postcard out right now.

• Like 2

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"