Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

Ok, said member did not ask for your personal analysis, that's all. Not trying to start anything but, your extra bit was unnecessary.

Whatever.   Could be perpetually snowing.   That is pretty unusual.   Its so uniform and spread out on the precip maps.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

ECMWF still hasn't figured out the mid week system yet. The PV was further south on this run which de-amplified the 500mb ridge ahead of the storm resulting in a track that was further south. The track of this system is clearly sensitive to the position and fluctuation in the PV strength. 

• Like 4

Now we are back to a coldish week....

Monday - Wednesday are actually warmer on this run than on the 00Z run last night.

Everyone just set their expectations to zero so now everything is new and exciting.   It was a good process.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just got back from a drive, its running 35-37 up in the Barkley Hill/Tweed Twenty area of Bellingham with a little bit of a mix falling.  I took a quick drive up to the Toad Lake area (@ ~1k ft) and it was a very slushy rain.  Temp on my car thermometer (which is pretty accurate in comparison to the weather station at my house) showed 33.7 up there at the water tank on Sapphire Trail.

Plenty of areas at just a few hundred feet elevation are getting wet snow tonight just north of the 49th parallel.

Bellingham has actually warmed up a degree or two in the past few hours. It's now cooler in Friday Harbor. Which is on an island. Surrounded by salt water on all sides. And further south. Sigh.

It's called clown range for a reason.

Monday - Wednesday are actually warmer on this run than on the 00Z run last night.

Everyone just set their expectations to zero so now everything is new and exciting. It was a good process.

kind of reminds me of Feb 2018. Mid 30s with wet snow in the daytime and cold enough for accumulation at night.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

ECMWF still hasn't figured out the mid week system yet. The PV was further south on this run which de-amplified the 500mb ridge ahead of the storm resulting in a track that was further south. The track of this system is clearly sensitive to the position and fluctuation in the PV strength. 

wxmet is the MVP of this forum.  every one of his/her posts is legit.

Thank you very much!

• Like 3

Huh. Doesn't look terrible for Portland-- go figure. Probably worse than last run, but small tweaks could mean big improvement. I think 1-3 inches is now possible.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Thanks Tim, can always count on you... I will temper my enthusiasm now.

Next week overall looks the coldest it has in a day or so on tonight's 00Z runs. So you were actually correct in your claim. Notice we aren't seeing the maps gleefully showing a warmup on Friday now.

• Like 1

Over an inch of rain today.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Plenty of areas at just a few hundred feet elevation are getting wet snow tonight just north of the 49th parallel.

Bellingham has actually warmed up a degree or two in the past few hours. It's now cooler in Friday Harbor. Which is on an island. Surrounded by salt water on all sides. And further south. Sigh.

Weird post, for tonight.

Glad things are actually going in the right direction at the home stretch. Yesterday some of y'all were saying it'd be impossible to get better and it'd only get worse :)

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Glad things are actually going in the right direction at the home stretch. Yesterday some of y'all were saying it'd be impossible to get better and it'd only get worse :)

Not convinced yet for PDX. But we'll see.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

There it is.

Randy asked for high temps for the week.

I got to Thursday and it has not finished.  Now it finished.  So I posted Thursday and Friday.

Good Lord.    I am out to get you all with actual maps from the best weather model available.   Watch out!!    :lol:

giphy.gif

I got to Thursday and it has not finished.  Now it finished.  So I posted Thursday and Friday.

Good Lord.    I am out to get you all with actual maps from the best weather model available.   Watch out!!    :lol:

giphy.gif

if I don't see snow at my house I'm blaming you personally!

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I got to Thursday and it has not finished. Now it finished. So I posted Thursday and Friday.

Good Lord. I am out to get you all with actual maps from the best weather model available. Watch out!! :lol:

https://media2.giphy.com/media/7tKEfRjktJ2MM/giphif

Why do you get so defensive? It is so weird.
  • Like 1