Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

Sunny with melting snow in Maple Valley... while just a few miles north on the other side of Tiger Mountain its looks like North Dakota on I-90 at the Snoqualmie Ridge exit.

018vc01790.jpg

090vc02567.jpg

Live view from North Bend... at the same elevation as the first picture above.    No idea why you snow lovers down there did not pick North Bend if snow is that important to you.    ;)

nb-1-14-3.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The details in the models over the past 48 hours show that they really struggle day of and give larger trends and provides a focus. But these hourly emotional rollercoasters people seem to go through with snowfall totals going up and down and east and west and forward and backward ... turn the models off, turn on the current radar and satellite, and just hang tight and watch.

The last few nights are perfect examples of fluctuating high res models being all over the place and none of them nailing anything.

they seem to have been fairly accurate with the general location of snow. If anything they have been a little too aggressive on the amounts around the central puget sound.

Thyme well till!

Obviously I’d feel a lot better about missing that, but I will still root for the Portland metro to see a decent event.

F’n a...

I’m looking for reasons to think the GFS isn’t a cracked out version of its old self but it’s hard to find much more then crumbs.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Sunny with melting snow in Maple Valley... while just a few miles north on the other side of Tiger Mountain its looks like North Dakota on I-90 at the Snoqualmie Ridge exit.

018vc01790.jpg

090vc02567.jpg

Live view from North Bend... at the same elevation as the first picture above.    No idea why you snow lovers down there did not pick North Bend if snow is that important to you.    ;)

nb-1-14-3.png

Not everyone is rich?

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

So I'm thinking about starting a GoFundMe in order to raise enough money to buy the equipment needed to level the Olympic mountains. That way we have a direct access to the precip rolling in off the coast and can stop being bothered by all this 'snow shadow' crap. And since I don't live in the CZ area anymore, not really worried about losing that aspect.

Anybody want to contribute an initial $100? $1,000?

I thought I was the only one thinking this. Explosives should work.

• Like 2

F’n a...

I’m looking for reasons to think the GFS isn’t a cracked out version of its old self but it’s hard to find much more then crumbs.

I guess I'm reaching for that I don't really remember the GFS overstating the gorge influence before. I thought it was generally agreed that models under-estimated it.

• Like 1

So I'm thinking about starting a GoFundMe in order to raise enough money to buy the equipment needed to level the Olympic mountains. That way we have a direct access to the precip rolling in off the coast and can stop being bothered by all this 'snow shadow' crap. And since I don't live in the CZ area anymore, not really worried about losing that aspect.

Anybody want to contribute an initial $100? $1,000?

How many days a year are you grateful for the rainshadow?

The Olympics are great, just in the way sometimes.

Uhhh... I believe you liked my post last night indicating you wanted to change your ways.

This feels like the classic "Look at this Covington camera by Jim and how much it sucks versus my great location" post.

Also, I totally second Snowmizer's response. Not everyone can afford $900,000 for a 2 bedroom house.

This is not that... its a microclimate post.    

You can get a 3 bedroom house up here at my elevation for $300-400K.  

It was more of a North Bend is for snow lovers advertisement.     :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Nobody is trying to buy a crack den in North Bend just to be in snow.

• Like 6

Most homes in North Bend at that price are mossy dumps. Probably worth 75K in the Midwest. You know your looking at a home around 750K minimum there these days

Mossy dumps.   :lol:

That is not totally true.   But its not totally false either.  

I think of Issaquah and Bellevue and Redmond as being ridiculously priced.   People are coming out here because its so much cheaper and most people don't like all the crazy weather... including snow.  But it is more affordable.

018vc01790.jpg

090vc02567.jpg

nb-1-14-3.png

Maybe the cost to live there. 90% of never could afford it. I make good money but no way I could EVER afford a house there.

I guess I'm reaching for that I don't really remember the GFS overstating the gorge influence before. I thought it was generally agreed that models under-estimated it.

GFS definitely used to, if I remember correctly.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Heck no you can't!!! Unless it is a total fixer upper.

Maybe the cost to live there. 90% of never could afford it. I make good money but no way I could EVER afford a house there.

I think of North Bend as being sort of redneck and down to Earth.    North Bendnecks is the term people use here.   Its not like Snoqualmie Ridge or the Highlands.

I think of North Bend as being sort of redneck and down to Earth.    North Bendnecks is the term people use here.   Its not like Snoqualmie Ridge or the Highlands.

I found a house for a great price in north bend... Comes with natural A/C for the summer months and great views all around!!  Priced to sell!

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 3.13.59 PM.png

• Like 4

So, still rich but like... redneck rich? Interesting.

Not at all.  

Go downtown NB and hang out on a Friday night.   Its a small town bar scene with pick-up trucks and baseball caps and flannel shirts.   The complete opposite of Bellevue.   

When cold air is well-entrenched in the gorge and subsequently the valley the models almost always are too quick and too aggressive with scouring it out. The GFS, at least right now, is and has pretty vastly overestimated this cold air mass. According to the 18z, PDX should be around freezing right now, just for reference.

As for tomorrow, the gorge isn’t a huge factor. There just isn’t enough time or enough of a tap to get that machine cranking.

• Like 1

I found a house for a great price in north bend... Comes with natural A/C for the summer months and great views all around!!  Priced to sell!

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2020-01-14 at 3.13.59 PM.png

That is a large lot to build... the house is irrelevant there.  It was destroyed by fire.

Latest HRRR finally realized the error in it's ways and came around to all the other models.

Only took about 12 hours after the 06z Euro.

1579078800-DObZOTII5jU.png

I think where the models will struggle with this is how far north  and south from the center of the forcing the moisture extends. 

Not at all.  

Go downtown NB and hang out on a Friday night.   Its a small town bar scene with pick-up trucks and baseball caps and flannel shirts.   The complete opposite of Bellevue.   

I know a guy that always has a flannel shirt on and has more money than a small town. :D

• Like 1

Not at all.  

You are completely missing their very obvious point.

They are talking about money. 

Not at all.

Go downtown NB and hang out on a Friday night. Its a small town bar scene with pick-up trucks and baseball caps and flannel shirts. The complete opposite of Bellevue.

I make quite a bit of money and I have all three of those things. Multiples of two out of the three.

• Like 1