February 2020 (It's cold at the end of the run!)

Madtown

We are over-performing as well.  It is a beautiful 54º.  The Euro had been predicting low 50s for several days, but the NWS and locals kept the forecast in the mid to upper 40s.

The ground is pretty wet and muddy as the last of the snow and ice melts.

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I completely agree with this. This winter has been good, but nothing extreme in terms of cold or snowfall. The difference this winter compared to the last few is that it’s been seasonably cold (for the most part) and we’ve had snow on the ground all winter. We haven’t had a consistent winter like this in a while. I’m ready for some warmth this weekend too, even if it dents the snowpack. Warm sun in late Feb is twice as strong as in December. It’s going to be a nice break. We still have a ways to go with winter, so we gotta enjoy it!

Sorry I'm a few days late on this response! We went up north to take advantage of the awesome snowmobile trails this winter has given us, and getting the last of tip-up/spearfishing in for the season, while starting to look for sheds.  Can't believe it's that time of year already where fishing seasons are beginning to shut down until Spring! But goodness, what an awesome weekend to be outside enjoying the weather.  Things were starting to melt fast, and while the snowmobile trails weren't too bad, the ditches going through towns were getting horrible. You are correct though, it has been a nice consistent winter.  Not too warm, not too cold.  Like you said, the snow has stuck around for a long time! I've actually enjoyed this winter.  It's been quite perfect :)

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed the time up north. Sounds like a blast! Pretty crazy to think that winter fishing season is quickly coming to an end. I got out on our lake exactly one time all winter. Pretty soon we’ll be talking about ice out dates. This winter has been enjoyable like you said. Not too cold, and a good amount of snow. But I’m looking forward to spring after this past weekend. Thoughts of rolling the dock into the water and planting the garden.....ahhh! But, there’s another decent snow storm or two to deal with first. As long as we don’t get 30” in April like we did 2 years ago. Not sure I’m interested in that again so soon.

• Like 4

I went out to DeSoto on Saturday this past weekend and caught a couple of good shots. Saw at least 1/2 a dozen of Bald Eagles and several other large hawks. My favorite shot is probably the first one where this hawk was taking off from the tree. I've always loved these "action shots".

Awesome captures! I see bald eagles every day. I’ve already seen a few today. Many of the eagles will probably be migrating north before long. Yesterday there were at least 3 robins hopping around on the lawn and I saw a few huge groups of geese flying.

• Like 4

Awesome captures! I see bald eagles every day. I’ve already seen a few today. Many of the eagles will probably be migrating north before long. Yesterday there were at least 3 robins hopping around on the lawn and I saw a few huge groups of geese flying.

Thanks! I’ve seen a handful over the years in the part of Omaha I live in. I’m on the northern edge of town. Driving home on Saturday I noticed multiple flocks of geese way up high flying north so you knew they were going somewhere a ways away!

• Like 3

Anyone else’s perennials starting to poke through? Just saw quite a few of mine. Hopefully a sign that true spring is near and here to stay.

Yeah, daffodils are popping up.

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Without any new snow, temps this week will not be as cool.  With fresh snow, we would have been stuck in the 20s.  Now, the Euro has one day of low 30s (wednesday), but then quickly back to mid to upper 30s and then several days of 40s and even 50s.

• Like 1

GFS and other long range data showing winter is ending quite abruptly. Lot of spring like days showing up.

Winter was okay here in KC, would have been a wild winter had temps been much colder. We had way more rain storms this year compared to last year as last winter was much colder.

We had the storms this winter, just couldn’t get the thermals to match up. JAN. by far was the best winter month here, ice and snow totaling 5-8 inches around town. Only had one winter event in DEC. and FEB. officially we had 15.4 inches of snow during the winter season. 1.9 fell during the fall months. So, if we don’t see any more snow, KC will finish below average on snow and way above on temps. We had a wet winter here so spring should start with a bang.

Looking forward to spring and baseball!!

• Like 1

This march looks like worst case for me. Warm start to ruin my ski hill, then cool off so I can't go out on the lake.

EDIT: Also, this winter doesn't seem like it was that bad looking at snowfall totals. It just felt really bad because December was a big fat nothing and we got ahead in average so fast because of the Halloween storm.

I think this winter is a good lesson in trusting models too much. An early snow is almost always a bad sign for winter being snowy and cold. And this one would have ended up below average if it weren't for the early one giving the stats a big boost.

In my gut I knew we were in trouble when we got an early snow, but the models kept teasing us.

msn-sts-2019-20.gif

• Like 2

This march looks like worst case for me. Warm start to ruin my ski hill, then cool off so I can't go out on the lake.

EDIT: Also, this winter doesn't seem like it was that bad looking at snowfall totals. It just felt really bad because December was a big fat nothing and we got ahead in average so fast because of the Halloween storm.

I think this winter is a good lesson in trusting models too much. An early snow is almost always a bad sign for winter being snowy and cold. And this one would have ended up below average if it weren't for the early one giving the stats a big boost.

In my gut I knew we were in trouble when we got an early snow, but the models kept teasing us.

Some good observations.  Yea, I've heard it too, and from some "old school" meteorologists, that early snow and cold are not a good sign for a cold and snowy winter.  Also, after this winter, I have come to the conclusion that computer models just suck!  Unfortunately, I'm of the opinion that the field of meteorology is in a very bad state right now due to it's over reliance on computer modeling.

• Like 1

Some good observations.  Yea, I've heard it too, and from some "old school" meteorologists, that early snow and cold are not a good sign for a cold and snowy winter.  Also, after this winter, I have come to the conclusion that computer models just suck!  Unfortunately, I'm of the opinion that the field of meteorology is in a very bad state right now due to it's over reliance on computer modeling.

There is a old weather saying that "ice on a pond that can bare the weight of a duck in November the rest of the winter will be rain and mud" and yes there is way too much reliance on computer modeling and not enough old school meteorology of course now the meteorologists can point a finger at the models and now take as much blame 

• Like 1

Had gone to California to visit my niece at the university (UCLA) for a couple of days. Came back earlier this afternoon. Excellent campus.

Attm, light snow w temps at 33F. Looks like I will be adding in the snow dept. ;)

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Tonight's Euro has 53º here Saturday and 61º Sunday.   B)

Unfortunately, it also has no precip for the next ten days, so it could get a bit boring.

• Like 4

Were sitting at 38* at 8 am and very windy. Gusts to 32-35 mph.

Should see a High around 48*.

Worst part of this NW wind is it's killing my allergies.

Mt. Cedar from the Rockies blowing in.

Windy the next few days. And very chilly.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

The snow here has lighten up and now is just a few flurries and it has melted on the road, driveway and even the roofs. Also the snow plow went by (more likely than not to drop salt) but the snow was already melted. Here are the stats for February so far at GRR the mean temperateness is  27.9° that is a departure of +1.5° for the month 14.0" (14.8" is average for February)  of snow fall has been reported for meteorological winter the total is 39.8" and for the season the total is now at 46.6" the meteorological winter and the total seasons total are both well below average for Grand Rapids and unless there is a massive snow storm in March or April Grand Rapids will end both well below average in the snow fall department. And yes meteorological winter will end up much warmer that average.

Next week features near 50F. Hello Met Spring! :D  Any snow otg will be gone!

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Highs this weekend keep getting bumped up with every new forecast package the last couple of days. Now low 60s for both Saturday and Sunday. Hello spring!!

If you don't get snow, may as well have it warm. I'm about ready for Spring.

• Like 3

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I listened to JB's Saturday Summary last weekend and something he mentioned I just can't get out of my head.  According to his research, years that had a cold November then a mild to neutral mid-winter often times had a cold March.  As of now, that doesn't seem to be the case, but might be something to keep an eye on.  The way this winter is behaving it wouldn't surprise me to see the MJO and all of the various indices finally give us a decidedly cold signal in late March and early April.  Just when all of us are ready for spring Mother Nature decides to throw us one last curve.

• Like 1

I listened to JB's Saturday Summary last weekend and something he mentioned I just can't get out of my head.  According to his research, years that had a cold November then a mild to neutral mid-winter often times had a cold March.  As of now, that doesn't seem to be the case, but might be something to keep an eye on.  The way this winter is behaving it wouldn't surprise me to see the MJO and all of the various indices finally give us a decidedly cold signal in late March and early April.  Just when all of us are ready for spring Mother Nature decides to throw us one last curve.

Man ... crazy that JB is looking for ways to predict a cold March. Who could have seen that coming?

Guy is a HACK!

Highs this weekend keep getting bumped up with every new forecast package the last couple of days. Now low 60s for both Saturday and Sunday. Hello spring!!

This is great news! We have been treated with some amazing weather for the past two weekends, and the streak will move to three straight gorgeous February weekends around here it looks like this weekend. 

I am officially done with the Winter of 2019-2020 and could care less if we get any more snow this year. Last Winter was exciting and amazing, this Winter has been pretty much a dud, it happens. 

• Like 3