2020 Spring & Summer Discussion

Tom

Thinking of Spring???  Some of you on here have already endured a taste of Spring in the south as Winter really never arrived, albeit, at times it did but quickly vanished.  Does that mean Spring is coming early this year??  Let's see what the models are suggesting as met Spring is knocking on our doorstep.

The JMA monthlies came in today and don't necessarily have a strong signal for any warmth or cold during the Spring season but more or less a normal Spring across the central CONUS.  March looks like it will have a continuation of the SER and western trough idea.  By the time we roll into April the southern ridge pops and the heat may build early and often as we head into the month of May.  Knowing the way this years LRC has developed, I'm almost certain we will see an early start to Summer esp for those down south and in the Plains as well as parts of the S MW.  I'm concerned of a delayed Spring for those up north which has been the pattern in recent years along with a very active/wet Spring overall for the majority of our Sub.  I'm anticipating several Severe Wx Outbreaks this Spring across the Sub and it should kick into high gear as we head into April/May.

March temps...

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/4mE/map1/img/R30_1/Y202002.D0500_gl2.png

April...

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/4mE/map1/img/R30_2/Y202002.D0500_gl2.png

May...

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/4mE/map1/img/R30_3/Y202002.D0500_gl2.png

• Like 2

The latest NMME for the month of March/April/May...the theme seems to be cool north, warm south and wet/active all across the board except for TX/OK members...drought forthcoming this year???

Taking a look at the drought monitor index and a lot of S TX is experiencing d1 & d2 level drought conditions...the 4 corners aren't doing well either and this is where both the JMA seasonal and NMME are suggesting the ridge to build early this Spring.  

current_usdm.png

NMME_ensemble_tmp2m_us_lead1.png

NMME_ensemble_prate_us_lead1.png

NMME_ensemble_tmp2m_us_lead2.png

NMME_ensemble_prate_us_lead2.png

NMME_ensemble_tmp2m_us_lead3.png

NMME_ensemble_prate_us_lead3.png

• Like 2

Looks like Texas is going to be dealing with a shut out in the rain department.

We're used to early springs, but it the rain we worry about.

Keep me informed on the long term guys. Hope to heaven we aren't going back into the drought cycle.

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Looking forward to Spring n Summer. Lots to do and go places. :D

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Ready for severe season. Given state of pacific and record breaking AO, the years 1990 and 2007 seem to be the favored analogs.

I could see strong troughs plow into the building warmth/heat to the south that will ignite some good severe wx opportunities this year.

• Like 2

Although this winter hasn't been on the severe cold side,  It has been cloudy wet and dreary.  With now 1 year old twins I am looking forward to getting out of the house and enjoying some nice weather.  Hoping this "Spring" (when is the last time we've had one in Michigan?) will provide a few warmer days and some stormy action in March/April before we inevitably switch to Summer in Mid-Late May.  

• Like 3

Although this winter hasn't been on the severe cold side,  It has been cloudy wet and dreary.  With now 1 year old twins I am looking forward to getting out of the house and enjoying some nice weather.  Hoping this "Spring" (when is the last time we've had one in Michigan?) will provide a few warmer days and some stormy action in March/April before we inevitably switch to Summer in Mid-Late May.  

Did ya get any sleep at all? :lol:

• Like 1

April 2024:

Oh my god no.  It's impossible.  1 always wakes up the other.  If 1 sleeps through the night, the other one doesn't.  But it's not terrible.  They need to get out of the house just like everyone else. 

:D

April 2024:

Oh my god no.  It's impossible.  1 always wakes up the other.  If 1 sleeps through the night, the other one doesn't.  But it's not terrible.  They need to get out of the house just like everyone else. 

Yep, 18 mos without a full night's rest when I had my twin boys. That was 20 yrs ago. No way I could do that today!  :lol:

• Like 4

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Busy Hurricane season out of the GOM???  We have had plenty of storms tracking out of the GOM this year and there are a few systems that have cycled through the NE GOM that have my attention.  Could be one of the more destructive seasons for the U.S.  

TCfreqa_fcst.png

• Like 1

Busy Hurricane season out of the GOM??? We have had plenty of storms tracking out of the GOM this year and there are a few systems that have cycled through the NE GOM that have my attention. Could be one of the more destructive seasons for the U.S.

TCfreqa_fcst.png

Sadly, this actually has a lot of merit based on pattern recognition skills. I hate that for the gulf states if it verifies.

Would also suggest a lot of cold fronts based on in close hurricane development history.

• Like 1

Sadly, this actually has a lot of merit based on pattern recognition skills. I hate that for the gulf states if it verifies.

Would also suggest a lot of cold fronts based on in close hurricane development history.

Wouldn’t the cooling waters in the central PAC also favor in close development and Long tracked storms in the Atlantic? I’m not really a Hurricane guru but I remember 2007 was a big year or was it 2008 when a La Niña was forming.
  • Like 1

Busy Hurricane season out of the GOM???  We have had plenty of storms tracking out of the GOM this year and there are a few systems that have cycled through the NE GOM that have my attention.  Could be one of the more destructive seasons for the U.S.  

TCfreqa_fcst.png

That map shows precisely the opposite of what you're saying. Plus an early analog set of 1967, 2013 and 2014 suggests we'd be lucky to see 10 storms in the atlantic. All of those years were epic snoozers.

• Like 1

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

That map shows precisely the opposite of what you're saying. Plus an early analog set of 1967, 2013 and 2014 suggests we'd be lucky to see 10 storms in the atlantic. All of those years were epic snoozers.

I had the impression that the map was suggesting rising motion...my bad...

Edit: Now that I looked deeper into this map, I totally missed reading the title on the top suggesting what colors are the storm tracks.  Must have been the lack of coffee!

• Like 2

Why yes, just last week my dear friend lost their home to 6 inches of snow, very sad. The child ended up crippled, the dog got 2019 nCov, spread it to the rest of the family that wasn't crushed in the rubble, Absolutely horrible. Hopefully, we can figure out how to manipulate weather so every day is full of sunshine and rainbows.

• Like 1

Thx for clearing that up. I'm no follower of tropical and had never seen a graphic like that, but was pretty sure it was how you say, opposite of what Tom had said. Good thing we all have some area of expertise or specialty so we can learn from each other.  ;)

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Sparky--

Have ya ever seen a tornado out there (perhaps nearby or even closeby) where you live. I am thinking yr area lies in the path of the "Tornado Alley", no?!

• Like 1

April 2024:

Sparky--

Have ya ever seen a tornado out there (perhaps nearby or even closeby) where you live. I am thinking yr area lies in the path of the "Tornado Alley", no?!

Yes Just last May I watched two tornadoes develop! The high end EF1 tornado on May 24 dropped down 2 miles north of me and ended on the south side of Ia. City. The other one was a very brief weak EF0 on May 29 that dropped down on my cousins farmland around 3 miles to my sw. ( I had shared a few photos of those storms last year so I think you still could go back and look them up) Also saw other funnels over the years plus the nighttime EF2 tornado that hit downtown Iowa City in April 2007 I think it was. Couldn't see that one well as it was dark.

I'm not necessarily in tornado alley though an area nw of my area near Waterloo may be in a small tornado alley according to fairly recent history where they had several devastating EF5 tornadoes! I'm still reading Terry Swailes book I recently got and that 2008 EF5 that creamed Parkersburg was pretty close to where James lives. I wanted to ask him and nows a good time..... James, did you actually see that tornado? Also I know there was a horrific hail storm near James area a number of years ago I think. I probably could look it up .

• Like 4

Yes Just last May I watched two tornadoes develop! The high end EF1 tornado on May 24 dropped down 2 miles north of me and ended on the south side of Ia. City. The other one was a very brief weak EF0 on May 29 that dropped down on my cousins farmland around 3 miles to my sw. ( I had shared a few photos of those storms last year so I think you still could go back and look them up) Also saw other funnels over the years plus the nighttime EF2 tornado that hit downtown Iowa City in April 2007 I think it was. Couldn't see that one well as it was dark.

I'm not necessarily in tornado alley though an area nw of my area near Waterloo may be in a small tornado alley according to fairly recent history where they had several devastating EF5 tornadoes! I'm still reading Terry Swailes book I recently got and that 2008 EF5 that creamed Parkersburg was pretty close to where James lives. I wanted to ask him and nows a good time..... James, did you actually see that tornado? Also I know there was a horrific hail storm near James area a number of years ago I think. I probably could look it up .

Cool stuff. The only time I saw a tornado was back in Long Island, NY, years ago. It was weak, trying to develop, but dissipated in the air. I was not all that far away from it. No damage, if I remember correctly had occurred.

• Like 2

April 2024:

Cool stuff. The only time I saw a tornado was back in Long Island, NY, years ago. It was weak, trying to develop, but dissipated in the air. I was not all that far away from it. No damage, if I remember correctly had occurred.

Last year was very unusual for me seeing 2 tornadoes in the same year only a few days apart!

• Like 2

Last year was very unusual for me seeing 2 tornadoes in the same year only a few days apart!

Wow....I mean, how often does that happen. Probably low probability for sure.

• Like 3

April 2024:

The only funnel cloud I've ever seen was late last summer.  It was wnw of Cedar Rapids and I saw it from my home in town.  There was a low-end nighttime tornado a couple years ago that passed within a mile of my home.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Wouldn’t the cooling waters in the central PAC also favor in close development and Long tracked storms in the Atlantic? I’m not really a Hurricane guru but I remember 2007 was a big year or was it 2008 when a La Niña was forming.

It was 2008. Bad hurricane year. Busy over GOM, N. LA and even tropical depressions over AR if I recall. Really thinking after a little more thought to blend 2008 and maybe a splash of 2014 and call it a summer forecast. It's still a bit early though. We know a lot can change in a month or 2.

• Like 2

It was 2008. Bad hurricane year. Busy over GOM, N. LA and even tropical depressions over AR if I recall. Really thinking after a little more thought to blend 2008 and maybe a splash of 2014 and call it a summer forecast. It's still a bit early though. We know a lot can change in a month or 2.

Thanks for the clarity...

Actually, 1990 is looking like a near perfect analog right now. One of the best I have seen. Record breaking AO continues to persist and AAM continues to build up as a result. Both of these are reminiscent of February 1990 monthly trends. Other notable analogs are March 1961 and March 1976. As far as large scale features, particularly with regard to AAM, it's going to have to come crashing down at some point, and when it does, should result in a rather impressive jet extension which would lead to a large, broad trough in the western half of the country. I think the CFS and Euro long range ensembles are picking up on this signal and handling it well. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd go for AA severe activity through March, with OK/TX through the lower Ohio valley being the favored region. Can't really see sustained activity any further north than that due to the calendar date and less than impressive SER. The SER is there, don't get me wrong, but for areas further north, I'd like to see it flex a bit more than currently modelled.

The only fly in the ointment I see on the analog list is 2002, which also featured a similar evolution to February 1990 and was a dud for severe weather in the spring overall. But the rest of the analog list is sauced up and combined with long range forecasting models, provides reason to be optimistic for early season severe weather. Remains to be seen how this translates to May/June. Not a real strong signal either way there yet.

I meant to post this a few days ago but forgot. Finally got around to doing it because uploading images to this site is a complete and absolute pita. 

yAkSr4w.png

7qeR807.pnguEIbYvD.jpgrl3AiAq.png

• Like 4

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

Actually, 1990 is looking like a near perfect analog right now. One of the best I have seen. Record breaking AO continues to persist and AAM continues to build up as a result. Both of these are reminiscent of February 1990 monthly trends. Other notable analogs are March 1961 and March 1976. As far as large scale features, particularly with regard to AAM, it's going to have to come crashing down at some point, and when it does, should result in a rather impressive jet extension which would lead to a large, broad trough in the western half of the country. I think the CFS and Euro long range ensembles are picking up on this signal and handling it well. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd go for AA severe activity through March, with OK/TX through the lower Ohio valley being the favored region. Can't really see sustained activity any further north than that due to the calendar date and less than impressive SER. The SER is there, don't get me wrong, but for areas further north, I'd like to see it flex a bit more than currently modelled.

The only fly in the ointment I see on the analog list is 2002, which also featured a similar evolution to February 1990 and was a dud for severe weather in the spring overall. But the rest of the analog list is sauced up and combined with long range forecasting models, provides reason to be optimistic for early season severe weather. Remains to be seen how this translates to May/June. Not a real strong signal either way there yet.

I meant to post this a few days ago but forgot. Finally got around to doing it because uploading images to this site is a complete and absolute pita.

yAkSr4w.png

7qeR807.pnguEIbYvD.jpgrl3AiAq.png

Well written. Enjoyed your thoughts.

• Like 2

Looking forward to severe weather. :D

Mmmm, not so fast. The last big storm we had I had a monster lightning bolt with a boatload of volts strike about 1/8 mi from the house. Deafening, and the house shook like it was made of match sticks. Mm-nope. Not ready for that. Certainly don't want hail. Money's tight enough.

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Wow....I mean, how often does that happen. Probably low probability for sure.

I stood on my porch as my house passed between two funnel clouds strengthening. They continues East and hit downtown Ft. Worth and downtown Arlington. They were big.

I've never counted but I think I've likely seen more than anyone on the forum. If only by virtue of age and location. My first memory is when I was 5 or 6.

• Like 1

Mmmm, not so fast. The last big storm we had I had a monster lightning bolt with a boatload of volts strike about 1/8 mi from the house. Deafening, and the house shook like it was made of match sticks. Mm-nope. Not ready for that. Certainly don't want hail. Money's tight enough.

Wow.....that must have been a nasty stormcell.

• Like 1

April 2024:

I stood on my porch as my house passed between two funnel clouds strengthening. They continues East and hit downtown Ft. Worth and downtown Arlington. They were big.

I've never counted but I think I've likely seen more than anyone on the forum. If only by virtue of age and location. My first memory is when I was 5 or 6.

Fun to experience one up close, but also dangerous at the same time.

• Like 2

April 2024: