2/24-2/26 Snow (Ring the doorbell so the big dog wakes up!!!)

Madtown

You know the UK will stay southeast (might be a bit better, but still southeast), and then the nw holdouts will probably cave southeast tonight.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Ugh, the formerly very bullish Canadian just totally crapped the bed..... much weaker and southeast.  The phasing is crap this run.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

We should have known something wasn't right when the good UK model refused to buy in.

Also, the ICON seems to have seen this before some of the others as well.

All the CAM's are lining up with the RPM/NAM and I think the global's are having a tough time except for the Euro and GFS, although track and placement differ quite a bit between the two global models.  Let's see if the Euro still shows a formidable storm system.  The Canadian may have just had a bad run.  Who knows.

With the temps & QPF combo, if it verifies, means I’m probably going to have to do frequent shoveling to prevent concrete buildup. Doesn’t matter how old you are, that stuff can be hell on the back sometimes.

• Like 1

...The Artist Formerly Known as RJSnowLover...

Of course, Cedar Rapids will get an inch or less from this while Chicago will get 8-12" or more. 

Let's just move on to spring. Nothing can ever come together just right for Cedar Rapids to get heavy snow, but everything always comes together for Chicago.  I haven't measured more than 4.5" from a single snowfall this winter. I'm sure Chicago has gotten at least 6" from a single snowfall this winter.

Of course, Cedar Rapids will get an inch or less from this while Chicago will get 8-12" or more.

Let's just move on to spring. Nothing can ever come together just right for Cedar Rapids to get heavy snow, but everything always comes together for Chicago. I haven't measured more than 4.5" from a single snowfall this winter. I'm sure Chicago has gotten at least 6" from a single snowfall this winter.

I don’t think Chicago has seen a 6” event this season

I don’t think Chicago has seen 6” this season

They haven’t, I checked. They’ve still cashed far, far more 10-12” storms recently than we have. Wouldn’t be surprised if the number was double or even triple what we’ve seen. Our big storm climo is legitimately a**.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

Let's just move on to spring. Nothing can ever come together just right for Cedar Rapids to get heavy snow, but everything always comes together for Chicago.  I haven't measured more than 4.5" from a single snowfall this winter. I'm sure Chicago has gotten at least 6" from a single snowfall this winter.

I absolutely feel your pain and frustration Iowawx and other CR area peeps, however try not getting much more than 2" of snowfall from a single storm system all winter long.

I am ready to shovel a truckload of dirt on the "Winter of 2019-2020" and welcome in Spring. 

• Like 1

Let's just move on to spring. Nothing can ever come together just right for Cedar Rapids to get heavy snow, but everything always comes together for Chicago. I haven't measured more than 4.5" from a single snowfall this winter. I'm sure Chicago has gotten at least 6" from a single snowfall this winter.

Nope. The largest storm total has been just over 4” this season from a 2-day system. That’s not saying much. I find that you always seem to single out Chicago as your go-to City. Do you realize how many times we have been shafted this season and last? I would bet more often than your area or SE IA. I never complained about it nor did any other Chicagoan on here. If we do in fact end up with a 6”+ storm, why not root for them??? A lot of us on here root for each other. I’d love to see more members on here share in the wealth but we can’t control the weather so you enjoy it when it does happen in your back yard. With that being said, I’m not banking on anything right now as we all have seen the dramatic shifts inside 24-48 hours.

• Like 2

ORD had two storms above 12 inches the last 5-6 years I believe

Prob, but that stat is likely skewed bc of Lehs/LES and doesn’t provide a good idea for surrounding burbs. I think the last Big snow was GHD-2.0 in 2015. Oh ya, I forgot about the opening 10 days of Feb ‘18 saw a historic stretch. That’s prob the most recent stretches of significant snows.

• Like 1

We’ve seen south shifts time and time again only to come back north. We’re still at 48 hours before the storm really gets going. Plenty of time to shift north again. As inconsistent as models have been it wouldn’t surprise me if we continue to get wild swings

• Like 2

If you want to generate your own maps with counties and zoomed in closer for your area etc, then try the following link.

https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/map.html?var=snowfall_24_h&snap=1&bgvar=dem&shdvar=shading&o9=1&o13=1

The last two days have been just beautiful here. A high of 52° yesterday and already that today. Finally got rid of most of the ice on the driveway.

• Like 3