March 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Welcome to Daylight Savings!  #SpringForward...while ya'll lost 1 hour of sleep, the state of AZ is one of the 2 states (including Hawaii) that does not participate in Daylight Savings Time. It's starting to look more likely that the idea of "Wasted Cold" will take hold starting later this week and the following week.  Where was this monster -EPO during the Winter???  Glad I made the trip out here to spend time with the fam and enjoy the warmth.

Where is that dude @IowaWx???  March 2012 redux = Fail...IMO

1.png

• Like 4

Welcome to Daylight Savings! #SpringForward...while ya'll lost 1 hour of sleep, the state of AZ is one of the 2 states (including Hawaii) that does not participate in Daylight Savings Time. It's starting to look more likely that the idea of "Wasted Cold" will take hold starting later this week and the following week. Where was this monster -EPO during the Winter??? Glad I made the trip out here to spend time with the fam and enjoy the warmth.

Where is that dude @IowaWx??? March 2012 redux = Fail...IMO

I never called for it to be like March 2012. I am enjoying these ABOVE AVERAGE temps to start March, however. Actually has an early-spring feel to it which is nice since we haven’t had that the past few years.

I’ll take the high-road here and not mention the constant doubling down of your “epically” awful winter forecast. I’ll just say that I would be embarrassed to show my face around these parts had I been that bad.

I never called for it to be like March 2012. I am enjoying these ABOVE AVERAGE temps to start March, however. Actually has an early-spring feel to it which is nice since we haven’t had that the past few years.

I’ll take the high-road here and not mention the constant doubling down of your “epically” awful winter forecast. I’ll just say that I would be embarrassed to show my face around these parts had I been that bad.

At the end of the day, Nature will always have the final say...I learned a lot of valuable lessons as I'm sure many professional mets did this season.  While you only came on here touting how bad the predictions were, not once did you make any forecasts.  It shows weakness when all you do is call someone out.  I hold my head up high every single day and appreciate hearing all the constructive criticism along the bumpy road this past cold season.  It's all good in my book...as they say, "live and learn"... 

• Like 7

Maybe you should spend your time around more professional meteorologists instead of staying on a forum for people who want to learn and discuss the weather? Do you think this is some sort of secret place on the internet that's better than the major weather outlets? It's for people who want to learn and discuss their own theories and observations. Tom's always optimistic about winter, but even if his forecasts aren't right and can bust, you can learn a lot from his posts. Once I started to treat this place as a resource to learn about weather I grew on it far more.

• Like 5

Today will be the warmest day of the year so far.  Enjoy it.  The GFS is cold and kinda snowy after mid month.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Maybe you should spend your time around more professional meteorologists instead of staying on a forum for people who want to learn and discuss the weather? Do you think this is some sort of secret place on the internet that's better than the major weather outlets? It's for people who want to learn and discuss their own theories and observations. Tom's always optimistic about winter, but even if his forecasts aren't right and can bust, you can learn a lot from his posts. Once I started to treat this place as a resource to learn about weather I grew on it far more.

It’s a forum for cold and snow fanatics to get together to post ways they may get the worst, most-destructive, weather possible. There’s no learning going on here; nobody is looking to get things right. Just looking for the 1 percent chance of “epic” or the “b word”.

I stumbled upon this place years ago looking for info as to when the lake in my backyard was going to thaw and I could get my boat ready. Instead, I found what appeared to be what I thought were well-argued reasons why it would stay cold. It took a bit, but I realized that well-argued meant cherry-picked models to confirm cold biases.

I am the voice of the voiceless. I am the guy who stops by looking for better info than what the news or weather app on the phone is offering. To all of those people: I will continue to fight for you as the winter-warrior-wishcasters try to present their dream scenarios as facts.

It’s a forum for cold and snow fanatics to get together to post ways they may get the worst, most-destructive, weather possible. There’s no learning going on here; nobody is looking to get things right. Just looking for the 1 percent chance of “epic” or the “b word”.

I stumbled upon this place years ago looking for info as to when the lake in my backyard was going to thaw and I could get my boat ready. Instead, I found what appeared to be what I thought were well-argued reasons why it would stay cold. It took a bit, but I realized that well-argued meant cherry-picked models to confirm cold biases.

I am the voice of the voiceless. I am the guy who stops by looking for better info than what the news or weather app on the phone is offering. To all of those people: I will continue to fight for you as the winter-warrior-wishcasters try to present their dream scenarios as facts.

If your a "voice for the voiceless", then start speaking for that crowd and start stating your opinions or your long range predictions.  Until then, your "voice" or lack thereof, is meaningless....just my 2 cents...

• Like 3

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow.  Models have increased rainfall totals around here, now up to 0.75-1.00", with a bit more in a few lucky spots.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

It is a nice day outside today, but the winds are fairly gusty. I am looking forward to getting a good soaking rain tommrow. 

I see the GFS has another snowstorm next weekend. It has gotten to the point where I really don't want to see anymore snow this winter. March snowfall doesn't last very long and often has a hard time accumulating because of the stronger sun angle, so hopefully next weekend is just rain around here. 

• Like 1

Careful Tom, we have been fooled by the MJO/EPO forecasts since Nov. Like you said, where were you this winter??? Maybe we have some fun the second half of the month.

I appreciate your energy and love your forecasting, yes, it was a bumpy winter with regards to some forecasts, but, you did accurately predict many weather changes dating back to October. I love reading your posts and will continue to do so. At least you own a bad forecast, Lezak has had a tough forecasting winter also, but he won’t own it, he’ll try to spin it to make it look accurate. He has a real problem with that.

Look forward to your future posts with this possible wintry change coming up. Who will score late in the game??

Clinton...fire up the snow maps, we haven’t had a chance to do so the last 3 weeks or so.

• Like 1

The op Euro has backed off the mid-month cold again.  It continues to gradually sag the possible snow system farther south.

Not excited for rain very often but this is one of those times. There hasn't been appreciable precipitation since the mid January slop show and I'm tired of the red flag warnings. 

• Like 3

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Several locations in southern Iowa are hitting 70º this afternoon.  We have a couple degrees to go here in CR.   B)

• Like 1

It is now at 65 here at my house. Officially  62 at GRR Today will be at least the 5th (tie) warmest March 8 in Grand Rapids history.   (64 in 2012 is the 4th warmest) 78 in 2000 is the warmest, 71 in 2016 is the 2nd warmest and 70 in 1987 is the warmest.
  • Like 1

73.4 so far today. Looking forward to the rain tonight. Would be nice to get a 1/2” or more

Loving this weather! And I am also looking forward to seeing some decent rainfall later tonight and tomorrow. 

If we get some appreciable moisture, things should really start greening up around here in the next week or two. 

• Like 2

Sorry, but I hope this rain can under-perform. Next weekend they are going to have a big raffle, log jam, and other stuff going on at my hill. But it's all going to be canceled if they can't salvage the snow after the rain. After next weekend I'm ready for rain and the lake to thaw out. I snowboarded so much this winter, I feel pretty content.

Today was quite nice though, Snowpants and a t-shirt for the afternoon. I feel like last spring I didn't get a very nice end, warm days like this are really bittersweet.But it's way better than it being cold and then the hill suddenly being closed.

• Like 1

If I had a complaint, it would be the wind. Gusts to 40-45 mph both days kind of makes it unpleasant even with the warmer temperatures. In fact once the sun went behind the houses we put on sweatshirts bc of the wind even when it was still in the 60s.

Loving this weather! And I am also looking forward to seeing some decent rainfall later tonight and tomorrow.

If we get some appreciable moisture, things should really start greening up around here in the next week or two.

• Like 1

Maxed out at 59.7*F here today. Went for a walk, as did the entire population it seems. A bit breezy, but it's worth it.

The trees look like they're trying to start up. Some even have buds. Might we have leaves by April? 55.9*F.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

We hit 70º this afternoon, beating pretty much every model.  The Euro had us maxing at 63º.

The rain is only 6-8 hours away.  The dewpoint is still only 28º, so it will moisten up in a hurry late tonight.

It hit 71° here today. Very nice except for the wind which was plenty strong. I also noticed that 4 years ago today it hit 72° with a low only in the 50°s. Was a little strange that the dew point dropped again in the late afternoon. Relative humidity was the lowest its been since last June.

• Like 1

Heard thunder quite a few times after 2:30am for the first time in over 3 months. Also was lucky enough to get a few little downpours with max wind gusts around 42 mph likely due to evaporational cooling or whatever you call it. Top gust yesterday was only 38 mph. I was up to 0.20” when I last checked after 3:00 am. with quite a bit more since then.

• Like 2

I was awaken by one little rumble.  Unfortunately, the heavy rain veered northeast through the Iowa City/North Liberty area and bypassed Cedar Rapids.  It should just be light rain the rest of the day.

I am up to around 0.80" of so far. That heavy rain early on gave me a head start. Didn't really have that much since 5am.

I missed out on the heavy rain band, so I'm at only 0.32".  The rain has been very light since I woke up.

• Like 1

What a disappointment. So far only have .07" of rain. 34 degrees

It has been a rough couple of months if you crave exciting weather... especially if you live in Nebraska.

• Like 6

Forecasted amounts of rain just keep going up. They are claiming over an inch now. We're in trouble for snowboarding.

Warm weather also sent 15 people through the ice on my lake last night. No one died but it was quite the ordeal, they had the air boat out and a lot of rescue people here.

• Like 2