March 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Kind of neat how that big dry hole just to my southwest on radar kept filling in and how moderate pockets rapidly develope and again dissipate. I'm nearly up to 1/2" finally after a slow start. Some areas to my west and nw. probably nearly around 1" now. Looks like earlier forecast projections won't be to far off here.

Kind of neat how that big dry hole just to my southwest on radar kept filling in and how moderate pockets rapidly develope and again dissipate. I'm nearly up to 1/2" finally after a slow start. Some areas to my west and nw. probably nearly around 1" now. Looks like earlier forecast projections won't be to far off here.

Cedar Rapids has been stuck in a relative dry moat for much of this event.  We should end up with a bit over a half inch.

Now it's on to tomorrow.  I hope the thunderstorms don't go around me.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Jeez, I'm not even going to make a half inch.  The rain just keeps crapping out around Cedar Rapids.  My total will be about 0.48".  I really could not received any less from this system.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Yep, round one is about over. I'ld rather have a thunderstorm rain. Maybe tomorrow. I'm probably around 0.60" by now. Was kinda strange at one point earlier when it was raining pretty good and it was barely yellow on COD radar and later when there was more yellow it was mainly a lighter rate.

Jeez, I'm not even going to make a half inch.  The rain just keeps crapping out around Cedar Rapids.  My total will be about 0.48".  I really could not received any less from this system.

I thought I saw some better returns over CR for awhile there then here, but maybe PWATS weren't quite as high further north.Just pondering.

The rain that is expected this week should help green up the grass and help the spring flowers along. That means we may have the grass to cut (if you feel up to it) for a little exercise and get out and get some fresh air. I have been out walking ever day and it has been nice. At this time it is cloudy and 47 here at my house. 

Slim

I thought I saw some better returns over CR for awhile there then here, but maybe PWATS weren't quite as high further north.Just pondering.

Yeah, there were better rates for a couple hours this morning.  I'd like to see a nice downpour for the first time this year... maybe tomorrow.

• Like 1

The rain that is expected this week should help green up the grass and help the spring flowers along. That means we may have the grass to cut (if you feel up to it) for a little exercise and get out and get some fresh air. I have been out walking ever day and it has been nice. At this time it is cloudy and 47 here at my house. 

Slim

I noticed this morning that the lawns are showing a hint of green here.
  • Like 1

Ended up with 0.67" in both of my 4" diameter gauges while my others only show 0.60". But those others usually catch up and show similar amounts above 1" and higher amounts when rains are at or above say 1.5" or more. I like those big gauges the best though.

The CAMs (hrrr, nam) are no longer lifting the warm front north through east-central Iowa.  The NAM even keeps it south of Cedar Rapids, so we don't even get above 50º, let alone 60º, which it was showing 24 hours ago.

A cluster of bubbly thundershowers built eastward just enough to hit western Cedar Rapids.  I am currently experiencing the first heavy rain with thunder since last year.

• Like 1

I picked up a quick 0.23" of rain with several light rumbles of thunder.  It lifted through too quickly, but I'll take it.

• Like 2

Picked up just over an inch of rain this morning. No hoping we get a little peek a sign to destabilize the atmosphere a little bit… Going to be interesting afternoon is a chance of severe weather. Then hopefully I can get some action from the snow tonight!

• Like 2

Haven’t posted in a while. I’ve been battling flu-like symptoms since my return from S.Cali earlier this week. I’m quarantined in my downstairs man cave for the next 10 days. A few light rain showers so far this morning. Expecting around 1” of snow tonight as the strong cold front moves in.

• Like 1

Haven’t posted in a while. I’ve been battling flu-like symptoms since my return from S.Cali earlier this week. I’m quarantined in my downstairs man cave for the next 10 days. A few light rain showers so far this morning. Expecting around 1” of snow tonight as the strong cold front moves in.

Hope your feeling better man!   Yeah ive been working from home all week and it looks like it will be that way for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 1

Take care. I am home and I will not be working for what now looks like a long time. I am retired but still work for the local minor league Hockey and Baseball teams. At this time the hockey is done for the season and baseball may or may not start their season. Any way I have been getting out every day and going for a walk so that helps and we have enough food as such to last for a few weeks.

As for the weather   At this time it is now 46 here with cloudy skies. There is rain to our SW that should move in later today. Not so sure how warm it is going to get or if we will have any thunder with the rain or not.

• Like 1

Hope your feeling better man!   Yeah ive been working from home all week and it looks like it will be that way for the foreseeable future.

Thanks. It’s been a weird illness. One day I’ll have a fever and I’m stuck in bed, the next day I have almost no symptoms, and then the next day I’m back to fever and a cough. I can’t get tested in MN as I don’t require hospitalization. The doc basically said ‘go home and rest...and good luck.’ My company told us yesterday to work from home until April 15, and possibly longer. Crazy times right now.

Thanks. It’s been a weird illness. One day I’ll have a fever and I’m stuck in bed, the next day I have almost no symptoms, and then the next day I’m back to fever and a cough. I can’t get tested in MN as I don’t require hospitalization. The doc basically said ‘go home and rest...and good luck.’ My company told us yesterday to work from home until April 15, and possibly longer. Crazy times right now.

Wow man get well!!
  • Like 2

It has been drizzling for much of the day.  We've at least hit 50º, but I don't think the 60s will get here.  Southwest Iowa is into the 70s with sun.  I hope we can get something interesting later.

Grass is greening a bit here as well.  Daffodils are shooting up quickly and a few have buds.  The tulips I planted last fall are beginning to emerge.

• Like 2