March 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

We reached 56º last hour, but now we're quickly falling into the 40s.  We should at least get some decent rain from the incoming frontal wave.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

To bad it finally just cleared off once the sun is setting. It’s a balmy, calm, humid 58°. Just now I noticed strips of shallow ground fog is rolling off the surface of the chilly soil. Looks neat. Also noticed the top of that big storm storm south of Des Moines. The CAMs look more promising for here than earlier. Only a strong 0.20” of rainfall earlier. Hopefully I can still score a strong storm!

Edit: Actually se. of Des Moines

Sure hoping the strong cell due west of me holds together as the first cells are scraping by just south so close I can here the downpour.

Edit: It briefly poured, but only 0.20” more. The heavy cell will graze by to the north which I was afraid of..

A real nice cell, easily the best of the season, is moving into the Iowa City/North Liberty area.  I wish it was one county north.  I did just hear a bit of thunder, though.

• Like 2

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

I'm looking forward to hearing from Bud in North Liberty.  I'm sure he is getting hail.

• Like 1

It's certainly Iowa City/North Liberty's night.  They are getting hit repeatedly.  Several Iowa City gauges are well over an inch.

• Like 1

Grass/cars covered under a burst of heavy snow that look like a pop up storm on radar. Another one to add to the overflowing file of forgotten dustings this year  :lol:

• Like 4

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Grass/cars covered under a burst of heavy snow that look like a pop up storm on radar. Another one to add to the overflowing file of forgotten dustings this year :lol:

Well at least it was the most interesting weather day here we have seen in a long while around here. Saw a marginal severe/strong thunderstorm with nickel-sized hail in the late afternoon, a few more thunderstorms with sleet/small hail during the evening, and now a nice burst of snow and wind. I will take this as I love this kind of crazy, changeable weather.

• Like 4

Radar estimates of rainfall seem to low here as I ended up with a storm total of 1.16" which is more than I expected. Will be interesting to see what amounts were elsewhere soon. A notification just popped up announced a flood warning for the English River 4 miles south of here. The soil is almost saturated so it will be good to dry off a bit.

Well at least it was the most interesting weather day here we have seen in a long while around here. Saw a marginal severe/strong thunderstorm with nickel-sized hail in the late afternoon, a few more thunderstorms with sleet/small hail during the evening, and now a nice burst of snow and wind. I will take this as I love this kind of crazy, changeable weather.

Same here. I love these strong spring storms.

Officially it reached 60 at GRR yesterday that was just before midnight. Then between midnight and 2 AM the official reading reached 62 for the high for today. That is what I call a backward maximum for both days. So Grand Rapids had back to back "highs" in the 60's but very few even knew it. I had a maximum overnight of 60. and here I recorded 1.15" of rain fall.

• Like 2

Welcome to the 1st full day of astronomical Spring!  First off, I pray for all of you who have been effected by the Coronavirus and hope for a speedy recovery. We are living through a period of human history that really has not happened in modern times.  I'm starting to wonder how many more large metro cities will start to quarantine in the days/weeks to come.  Some of my sources in high level places suggest this may be the beginning but time will tell.  These are extraordinary times.

As far as the wx goes, it has dried out here in the desert and a long stretch of beautiful days are expected over the next 10 days.  Meanwhile, the glacier that has continued to build in southern and eastern Canada is showing no signs of melting any time soon.  In fact, I'm pretty certain it will grow in some spots.  Our neighbors to the north have had an incredible snow season and that may not be a good thing if a late season -NAO pattern sets up, esp for members near the GL's/MW.

Official Spring rolled in on a stormy note across much of our Sub yesterday....it's nice to hear some of you got a taste of thunder....I've seen my share of thundery downpours here last week.

yesterday.gif

1.png

2.png

• Like 2

Welcome to the 1st full day of astronomical Spring!  First off, I pray for all of you who have been effected by the Coronavirus and hope for a speedy recovery. We are living through a period of human history that really has not happened in modern times.  I'm starting to wonder how many more large metro cities will start to quarantine in the days/weeks to come.  Some of my sources in high level places suggest this may be the beginning but time will tell.  These are extraordinary times.

For the sake of humanity, we all hope your virus forecasting is on par with your weather forecasting

Models are suggesting a bit of snow on Sunday from Iowa eastward as another, weaker, system lifts up from the sw.

• Like 1

Much of that snow would fall during the day Sunday, so I doubt it would accumulate very well.

For the sake of humanity, we all hope your virus forecasting is on par with your weather forecasting

Ok then...Chicago, LA, New York...they keep coming, hopefully its temporary...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-illinois-shelter-in-place-lockdown-order-20200320-teedakbfw5gvdgmnaxlel54hau-story.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-reports-no-new-domestic-coronavirus-infections-for-the-first-time-since-outbreak-started-11584611233

https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/coronavirus-in-ny-cuomo-orders-lockdown-shuts-down-non-essential-businesses/

How many more cities will follow suit?  I'm hearing even more suburban cities around Chicago are also asking citizens to stay home.

Tom are you planing on staying in Arizona?

Tom are you planing on staying in Arizona?

Yes, without a doubt until things calm down. Thus far, Arizona has seen (63) confirmed cases which isn't terrible compared to all the other bigger metros around the country.  https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-arizona.html  Sadly, the first death was reported yesterday.  I'm hoping as the weather warms up here later this month into April it will subside the spread.  

• Like 2

Well, since we have an abundance time in our hands now, I thought I'd share you in on this. I am creating a gym area in my house. It will be pretty impressive. Still ordering machines from amazon. This project should be completed by sometime in April. I have other projects coming, but further down in May or so. 1 at a time, right. I am also writing a few more emails as well now since I have more time and catching up on a few phonecalls. So, quarantine at home folks, but keeping busy. All of my vacation plans are on hold.....was planning on traveling a lot this Spring & Summer.

In the meantime, stay safe and wash your hands. Stay INSIDE!!! :)

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Well, since we have an abundance time in our hands now, I thought I'd share you in on this. I am creating a gym area in my house. It will be pretty impressive. Still ordering machines from amazon. This project should be completed by sometime in April. I have other projects coming, but further down in May or so. 1 at a time, right. I am also writing a few more emails as well now since I have more time and catching up on a few phonecalls. So, quarantine at home folks, but keeping busy. All of my vacation plans are on hold.....was planning on traveling a lot this Spring & Summer.

In the meantime, stay safe and wash your hands. Stay INSIDE!!! :)

Glad you're ok there bud. Especially after seeing this..

20200321 Virus News.PNG

My wife is a natural born worry type. She's got me on a short leash and I don't have these "projects" as you do. Really don't like to just sit around on weekends as my week day job requires hours and hours of just that-sitting! But, what do you do, right? I don't wish to add to her anxiety level by venturing out if I can avoid it . 

Anyways, just wanted to stop by and say "hey". Everybody make the best of this craziness.  ;)  

• Like 3

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918