March 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

In 2008, someone at an investment firm was googling bankruptcy stories, as of course their company would want to know about any company going under. He found a 6 year old news story about United Airlines going bankrupt, and he did not realize that it was 6 years old. So this old story went into their online newsletter that was published through Bloomberg.

As a result, United Airlines stock fell 75% that day until someone realized it was an old story. But it took a little while, as when he searched for it, Google put the current 2008 date on it, since that is when the search engine found it. So everyone thought it was current.

That was a big Oops!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The environment is so dry around here, any gusts of wind gets crap into my eyes when I'm out getting fresh air.

Needs to rain and/or snow off and on for a couple weeks.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Good god that warm pool is on steroids.

cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1.png

Keep in mind those are the warmest waters on the planet that are on fire there.

cdas-sflux_sst_global_1.png

We need some kind of weather action. Hopefully we see some small hail or a few claps of thunder before 4 PM.

By the way, if anyone here is also in my PDX WX Analysis facebook group if you could pass along this message I would greatly appreciate it.

I was flagged for spam for posting too many messages too quickly(Radar images) when I was tracking the tornadic supercell in Nashville the other night. This isn’t the first time Facebook has done this to me. The other time was back in 2015 during a severe weather outbreak in my Texas group. Due to this they banned me for 30 days (27 days remaining). Very annoying and frustrating. I did contest this asking for a request for Facebook to review this, so hopefully they will do so and I’ll be able to access my account and groups sooner. If you do so please also mention my Texas group TheSTORMCenter/DFW as we do have a few members also in my PDX group and they can then hopefully pass this along there too. Alrighty.

Thanks

• Like 1

We need some kind of weather action. Hopefully we see some small hail or a few claps of thunder before 4 PM.

By the way, if anyone here is also in my PDX WX Analysis facebook group if you could pass along this message I would greatly appreciate it.

I was flagged for spam for posting too many messages too quickly(Radar images) when I was tracking the tornadic supercell in Nashville the other night. This isn’t the first time Facebook has done this to me. The other time was back in 2015 during a severe weather outbreak in my Texas group. Due to this they banned me for 30 days (27 days remaining). Very annoying and frustrating. I did contest this asking for a request for Facebook to review this, so hopefully they will do so and I’ll be able to access my account and groups sooner. If you do so please also mention my Texas group TheSTORMCenter/DFW as we do have a few members also in my PDX group and they can then hopefully pass this along there too. Alrighty.

Thanks

I got you
  • Like 1

My school says there will be online classes if coronavirus causes school to cancel.

The 1918 Spanish Flu was very unusual among diseases because it caused a cytokine storm, causing impacts to be worst in young healthy people with strong immune systems. With coronavirus, the most likely to see serious symptoms are the old and weak.

My wife teaches at La Salle College Prep HS.  All the kids are required to have iPads.  Snow days are a thing of the past for them now as kids and teachers are required to work on line.  If this does become a problem, it will be business as usual. 

• Like 1

Low of 38 this morning cloudy currently. Looks like some precip is moving into the south sound from the SW. Too bad it’s not a few degrees cooler to make it interesting. Maybe we will see some thunderstorms today.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

After the rain the last couple days were up to 0.64” for march and 14.15” YTD. We’re also at 27.95” for the rainy season...quite a bit better than the 18/19 rainy season when we scored 19.93” total...my driest rainy season recorded.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

After the rain the last couple days were up to 0.64” for march and 14.15” YTD. We’re also at 27.95” for the rainy season...quite a bit better than the 18/19 rainy season when we scored 19.93” total...my driest rainy season recorded.

SEA is at 25.24 inches for the rainy season... a little bit less than you.

SEA ended up +6.69 inches for the winter season... with all 3 months being wetter than normal.    And amazingly... SEA WFO was almost exactly the same at +6.62 inches.   The station near me was +17.28 inches for the winter season... which is actually about in proportion percentage-wise with SEA.

SEA and WFO SEA are above normal for March so far... but it does look like March has a chance to end up drier than normal.    Which makes sense around here given the last 3 months.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

No snow here. I walked up to my neighbors highest point which is 700’, no snow there, either.

Currently 38 degrees and cloudy. .06” on the day so far, 2.49” for the month, 20.69” for the year.

Caught a lovely sunset on my 3 minute drive home last evening.

439E0E66-E3D4-46DA-840F-216F3BA63BE3.jpeg

• Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

12Z GFS shows a second ULL dropping down after the first one late this week... similar to what the ECMWF showed.

But overall... the 12Z run is very dry over the next 2 weeks.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

12Z GFS shows a second ULL dropping down after the first one late this week... similar to what the ECMWF showed.

But overall... the 12Z run is very dry over the next 2 weeks.

It’s dried out quite a bit in my area...we’ve had 1.49” of rain in the last 4 weeks. Quite the turnaround from earlier this winter. Probably gonna get wet in late March or sometime in April again. Like you said a longer dry spell was a given.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

It’s dried out quite a bit in my area...we’ve had 1.49” of rain in the last 4 weeks. Quite the turnaround from earlier this winter. Probably gonna get wet in late March or sometime in April again. Like you said a longer dry spell was a given.

Yeah... if March ends up dry then a very wet April is a good bet.  

Which also fits well with recent years... April has been quite wet in the Seattle area for last the 3 years.     The last drier than normal April was in 2016.

Looking at the 12z ensembles, at least it is not a torch coming up...yet. But looking pretty dry and boring overall.

All but one month since October (the beginning of the water year) has been drier than normal down here. So we definitely weren’t due for another long dry spell but here we are.