March 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

I wonder if there are other similarly long stories for the last 30-40 Januaries or so that have failed to deliver regionally around here.

Ha. Definitely harder these days with the dampened (and slightly belated) seasonality across the tropical Indo-West Pacific. That’s the root of your issues, I think. So much of your winter patterns are dictated by the tropical forcing events with inception from that domain.

But January 2020 had a real shot. And the synoptic versus spatiotemporal chaos debate is real..I’m sure some would argue the former. But there was a shot. And there was incredible potential. Was so depressing to watch it collapse in perhaps the most horrific way possible since there was no second chance (at least until after the spring equinox, lol).

• Like 1

Nobody is going to talk me down from this. I have a feeling the coming few weeks are going to ooze 19th century. I haven't been this stoked about anything this time of year in ages if ever. The potential is there for a number of cold duration and intensity to fall this month and maybe into April. The -5 EPO being forecast the EPS is reason enough alone to know something highly unusual is unfolding. It will be interesting to see if intrusions of chilly continental air even extend well into the spring. I'm going to enjoy all of the unseasonably cold mins coming up, and snow is a definite possibility somewhere along the line as this unfolds.

✊

A forum for the end of the world.

Nobody is going to talk me down from this.  I have a feeling the coming few weeks are going to ooze 19th century.  I haven't been this stoked about anything this time of year in ages if ever.  The potential is there for a number of cold duration and intensity to fall this month and maybe into April.  The -5 EPO being forecast the EPS is reason enough alone to know something highly unusual is unfolding.  It will be interesting to see if intrusions of chilly continental air even extend well into the spring.  I'm going to enjoy all of the unseasonably cold mins coming up, and snow is a definite possibility somewhere along the line as this unfolds.

At face value... the EPS shows the coldest air bypassing western WA next weekend and then a slow and steady warm up after that.

It might not be too noticeable overall if that verifies.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Nice day for yard work... mostly sunny and calm. Actually took my sweatshirt off.

20200308-125409.jpg

Been outside as well, the dogs and kids were all playing while I stood in the sun. Felt good, Almost back to 100% after the flu.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

And that was despite vigorous tropospheric RWB activity that in many years would have delivered in a huge way.

I’m pretty confident January 2020 would have blown February 2019 (and any satellite era winter month) out of the friggin’ iceberg in terms of western cold if the TPV didn’t get flukily trapped over the Beaufort/Yukon domain during that crucial string of wavebreaks in late December/early January.

That was the event that ended winter, IMO. Once that happened, the TPV and strat vortex coupled like titanium, and there was no dislodging that sucker.

Whenever we have a cold/warm/dry/wet month, I too wonder if things would have been different if things were different.

What would I be doing right now if Al Gore hadn’t made the internets?

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Only up to 38F here.  Wow, haven't been paying attention to weather since college hoops has been my focus lately.  Would be crazy to have a sub-40F day in early March!

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Bozeman.

Was a warm winter after a record breaking cold October so I wouldn’t be shocked if April came through as well.

#bookendseason

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Contrary to some of the rhetoric on here..EIpYGDk.jpgwPA3ZK6.jpg

Nobody has talked about the last 50 years... but the last 10 years have been the wettest decade in Seattle history.

Our colder decades tended to be drier in general.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Nobody has talked about the last 50 years... but the last 10 years have been the wettest decade in Seattle history.

Hasn’t been bad since 2013:

7Wv6aR5.png

In fact the warm seasons have been dry.

Should be no complains whatsoever.G8ZOeyc.png

Yes... it's been established that the rainy seasons have been the most anomalous wet. Are you new here?

Yes... it's been established that the rainy seasons have been the most anomalous wet. Are you new here?

a7e44x2.gif
  • Like 2

In fact the warm seasons have been dry.

Should be no complains whatsoever.

G8ZOeyc.png

Nothing I have reported is incorrect in any way. But I sure seem to bother some of you! I enjoy that part. Jesse says Randy lives at the top of Mt. Baker to dismiss his reports... even though his average rainfall is about the same as Portland. :)

And side note... I have tried many times to recognize the situation in Oregon and SW WA has been different and said there is no way to make blanket statements about the region. But it seems like a compromise is not possible here. Oh well.

Proof is in the stats... nobody up here can change that either.

Nothing I have reported is incorrect in any way. But I sure seem to bother some of you! I enjoy that part. Jesse says Randy lives at the top of Mt. Baker to dismiss his reports... even though his average rainfall is about the same as Portland. :)

And side note... I have tried many times to recognize the situation in Oregon and SW WA has been different and said there is no way to make blanket statements about the region. But it seems like a compromise is not possible here. Oh well.

Proof is in the stats... nobody up here can change that either.

GKlvCZd.gif

There is no way Randy only averages around 40” precip a year. That is a very wet convergence zone prone location right up against the foothills (close to 500 feet in elevation if I recall) Would be nice if we could stop perpetuating that lie. :)

GKlvCZd.gif

That is actaully how I picture you right now. ;)

Too nice of a day to be bothered by your pointless trolling! No idea why you start this up at times but it's not your strong suit as I mentioned before.

There is no way Randy only averages around 40” precip a year. That is a very wet convergence zone prone location right up against the foothills (close to 500 feet in elevation if I recall) Would be nice if we could stop perpetuating that lie. :)

I bet you he does. And the detailed annual precip maps for western WA prove it. There is no wet zone right over him. And remember he moved several miles north.

It just pisses you off that nature keeps the same area anomalously wet. No idea why that bothers you. But it does keep happening.

20200308-143036.jpg

And I am making noise with my electric leaf blower... but my neighbor is burning dead trees today from their construction so they can't complain.

20200308-145846.jpg