April 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

From your experience living in OH recently, which location seemed less populated...Ohio or Nebraska

Part of my gripe about living here is how densely populated the GLs region is. Even the country highways seem to have a lot of traffic.

Nebraska had a similar feel between Omaha and Lincoln, but there was basically nobody West of Lincoln. It was great. You could drive in the left lane of any 2-lane country road and not worry basically. Besides US-30

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Chitown hit 70F yesterday...first 70 degree day of the season.  I'm sure people were out and about enjoying the beautiful weather instead of being stuck in doors.  I still can't believe all of these "non essential" stores will be closed for another month.  It's like a ghost town driving through some of the "poppin" neighborhoods around here that normally would be packed with "snowbirds".

In other news, heading for a high in the low 80's again today and crystal clear blue skies.  It's amazing how stunningly blue the skies are over here when comparing it to back home and seeing the chem trails.  Some of my friends in California indicate how bad they are over there but yet only a few hundred miles to the east they don't exist.

• Like 4

Craptastic forecast shaping up for April....not another April '18....could be a cold Easter morning for a lot of members...

00z GEFS/EPS showing more support for mid month snows across the northern half of the Sub, esp out in the Great Plains and Front Range of the Rockies, but also east towards the GL's.

usT2mMonInd1.gif

• Like 1

Part of my gripe about living here is how densely populated the GLs region is. Even the country highways seem to have a lot of traffic.

Nebraska had a similar feel between Omaha and Lincoln, but there was basically nobody West of Lincoln. It was great. You could drive in the left lane of any 2-lane country road and not worry basically. Besides US-30

Wow! I have yet to see Detroit like that and I have been living here now for several years. Everytime I would go to the city of Detroit, it would look like a ghost town. Few people here and there and mind you, you have to be in the correct spots to see people walking around. If you go just a couple blocks left or right, it will be empty. Definitely not used to that. Suburbs where I am at, its more populated, thank goodness. I cannot be somewhere where it looks like isolation from civilization.

Right now for Greek Easter I would have been in my city (NYC w friends and mostly family), but thanks to this fricken virus going on, I am stuck in MI. UGH!

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

After a cold start, w temps in the upper 20s, readings will make a rebound in the 50s, but a few possible showers by pm as a CF approaches my area.

April 2024:

Wow! I have yet to see Detroit like that and I have been living here now for several years. Everytime I would go to the city of Detroit, it would look like a ghost town. Few people here and there and mind you, you have to be in the correct spots to see people walking around. If you go just a couple blocks left or right, it will be empty. Definitely not used to that. Suburbs where I am at, its more populated, thank goodness. I cannot be somewhere where it looks like isolation from civilization.

Right now for Greek Easter I would have been in my city (NYC w friends and mostly family), but thanks to this fricken virus going on, I am stuck in MI. UGH!

I know you must be young, but even in the late 1960's Detroit had people walking and driving all over town. While the city has many abandoned areas (along with Flint and Saginaw) the metro area is still has a lot of people and thus traffic. 

• Like 1

It's sunny this afternoon, but it's still only 43º.  I have more outside projects to do, but I'd like it to be at least 50º.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

OMG, the GFS has two snow storms in MO in the next two weeks along with some major cold for April. NO!

KC had an icing event yesterday, high temp was 30 with thunderstorms and freezing rain. Trees were heavily coated with ice. No road problems. I don’t think I can remember an April icing event before.

• Like 3

I know you must be young, but even in the late 1960's Detroit had people walking and driving all over town. While the city has many abandoned areas (along with Flint and Saginaw) the metro area is still has a lot of people and thus traffic. 

Back then in the (1960s), I'm sure it was a lot better. Look, you cannot compare Detroit then and now. Totally different perspective picture. The economy was a lot better in the 1960s versus now. Also, if you mean "A lot of People walking around" and "Traffic of busy moving cars" then, you are wrong! This is not the case. Yes, there are people walking here and there, cars  and even a trolly going around in circles, but I would not go that far as "A lot of People." Keep in mind, Detroit is getting better though and will continue to do so. If I had to guess, I would say that one day, Detroit will be the way it was back in the 1960s as you say. Dont get me wrong, I respect Detroit as a city itself, especially for the great nickname it has to offer..."The Motor City". It makes great cars. Hopefully, one day, I will do business w Detroit, but for now, its not a place to work w, "Yet".

April 2024:

Clouds have rolled in and some spotty showers could be possible. Temps are in the 50s.

Btw: Anyone feel after the "Pandemic" is done, that people will be different in terms of shaking hands, or not shaking hands. Perhaps just do a knuckle hit or elbow approach. Or any other ways. How about after you are done grocery shopping, will you still be cleaning off your stuff b4 you place them away in your kitchen. Also, personality and etc. I personality think that life will be different after this is all set and done w.

April 2024:

Clouds have rolled in and some spotty showers could be possible. Temps are in the 50s.

Btw: Anyone feel after the "Pandemic" is done, that people will be different in terms of shaking hands, or not shaking hands. Perhaps just do a knuckle hit or elbow approach. Or any other ways. How about after you are done grocery shopping, will you still be cleaning off your stuff b4 you place them away in your kitchen. Also, personality and etc. I personality think that life will be different after this is all set and done w.

My awkward a** is still shaking everyone's hand.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

This is a wild looking snow forecast off the EPS/GEFS through the next 2 weeks.  Looks more like a run you would see in the heart of Winter!  The 500mb pattern setting up across North America would have been eye candy back in November, but in April, it is not welcomed....

gfs-ens_z500aMean_namer_10.png

00z GEFS...

GEFSCGP_prec_meansnacc_384.png

1.png

I know this really belongs in the complaint thread but that is now way too political for my taste. Anyway I really miss the baseball season. I have been a Tiger fan for a long time.  My 1st game that I went too was in1957.  And even thought the Tigers were not good then either they won that game in the bottom of the 10th inning when Charlie (Paw Paw) Maxwell hit a two run home run. I played little league baseball  and of course I have been working the last 14 years out at the West Michigan Whitecaps. Of course I will not miss the cold games that we have here in April and that would have been the case later next week. At this time there are plans in the works that there may NOT be minor league baseball this season and even Major league baseball for 2020 is still uncertain.

• Like 1

Attm, 39F under cloudy skies

Today I will be in my art room painting some pics later. You want to just paint anything that comes to your mind. Try it. Its fun. You can get creative and get to see how your brain reacts to art. :D

• Like 3

April 2024:

Lol. It's hard as heck isn't it.

I've been a hand shaking gentleman all my life. This crap is weird.

Trust me...its only the beginning. Life will be much different after this "Pandemic" ends. I shake hands a lot also (well, used to. Now I will be debating whether to do an elbow approach, even w my business partners for safety precautions), so lots of changing habits will be in stored.

April 2024:

My awkward a** is still shaking everyone's hand.

Its a tough habit to break. Seems very noble to me, but what can ya do.

• Like 1

April 2024:

Its a tough habit to break. Seems very noble to me, but what can ya do.

I coach high school football and 7th grade basketball. Kind of built in to high five, shake hands, slap on the back etc. to encourage athletes. It is going to be very difficult to change. Won’t know until sports starts up again to know how it will look.

I'm up in St Paul this weekend. Was supposed to come up Friday but I35 was all ice with accidents so I came up Sat morning. Today looks real nice up here.

@StPaulStorm how ya feeling? Weren't you a bit sick recently?

Good call on delaying the trip until yesterday. Friday was a little messy for sure. Nice day here today. Should top out in the upper 50s. The sun feels so good. Speaking of feeling good, I’m back to 100% health. Thanks for asking! Not sure what I had, but I don’t wish it on anyone. Enjoy the rest of the weekend up here!
  • Like 2

It looks pretty awful later this week into early next week.  The Euro has us struggling to get out of the 30s Sunday and Monday.  With lows possibly in the low to mid 20s, I'll have to cover some budding plants.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

It now sunny and 37 here. I have to wonder just how cold it is going to get after this week. Looks like a cold Easter weekend. So that means we could be stuck inside the house and not even want to go outside and work in the yard. I have to say I am getting tired or Netflix already.  

Topeka office AFD from this morning is interesting...they usually don't talk about such things this far out...probably just needed a distraction from all of the turmoil... B)

The ECMWF shows vertical profiles cold enough for a potential snow storm across the CWA Monday into Tuesday. The track of the 850mb low would be very favorable for heavy snowfall. This solution will probably change over the next several model runs, so it not a sure bet that we could see our biggest snow storm of the season on April 14th. In any case it looks as if it will be turning much colder into mid April.

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

KC/Quad Cities/Chicago/Milwaukee spring destroy job on the Euro. Wow. Fantasy land, but you guys can have it.

Some ensemble support too. Interesting.

You had it back in 2018...is it happening again???  I would really consider flying home for this if it would transpire.  Too bad its fantasy land bc that would be an incredible Blizzard (50-65kt winds down the lake!).  Haven't posted a weenie map so...why not???

1.png

• Like 2

You had it back in 2018...is it happening again???  I would really consider flying home for this if it would transpire.  Too bad its fantasy land bc that would be an incredible Blizzard (50-65kt winds down the lake!).  Haven't posted a weenie map so...why not???

Definite flashbacks to 2018. 30” of snow in April that year. Glad I was able to witness that once, but I wouldn’t want it again so soon. It’ll melt in 2-3 days, but still. The cold air being advertised is impressive. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if a storm develops that delivers one of the biggest storms of the season for parts of the sub.

• Like 1

Just watch!  For once one of these blasted models will actually pan out in the long range.  Man, that is a crush job for MBY.