April 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Very windy now w cloudy skies and temps are dropping. Lows tanite in the mid 20s w wcf readings in the teens. OUCH!

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

FACT (not really): if the storm at the end of the week was showing a direct hit over east central Iowa, it would shift north and miss us completely.  Since it is just to our south now on models, it will not shift north and miss us to the south.  It's amazing how often that ends up being the case.  I'd much rather have warm weather, but if there is a storm showing up just to our south I'd prefer to have it hit us and melt a day later.  So I'm hoping for a north shift.  

12z GFS... a couple inches of this, from se IA through IL, are from an earlier weak wave.

snku_acc.us_mw.png

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

KC got off to a very fast start wrt spring, growing season was really early. Everything has bloomed in the last several weeks. We have had several freezes so far this month but from what I can see, no damage. All flowering trees are still good and all of our early season flowers we planted in March are doing great! So, April freezes don’t really matter that much unless the freezes are all day or temps are deep in the 20’s. Early season blooms are meant to take on some cold air.

Plants have a way of protecting themselves.

• Like 1

I just ran across some interesting news, at least for weather geeks in my area.  Terry Swails, former tv met and local severe/snow geek, is moving to Portland, Maine for a couple years for a family adventure.  They are planning to move back to the area/region when his daughter finishes high school.  He is planning to continue his Iowa/midwest-centric website while he is living way out there.  He's going to miss Iowa's severe storms, but he's going to love the nor'easters.  When he moves back to this area he'll be bored to death by our nickel & dimer snowfalls.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Anybody else living in urban/suburban areas noticing how much brighter the stars/planets are without all the factories operating & planes flying? Especially beautiful tonight.

During the day it just looks cleaner outside. If there's one good thing to come out of this situation it's that.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Surprised to see a WWA issued for my area back home as there is light/mod snow falling with temps in the upper 20s!  Lot's of accidents being reported esp with no residual chemicals on the roadways and temps are pretty cold for mid April standards.

Upper
soundings from KDVN and KILX still depict the well mixed levels up
all the way to 700 mb, and RAP cross sections across the boundary
depict vertical ageostrophic response and the omega bullseye into a
portion the dendritic region (even more above it). Some is
instability above this layer too noted by the 7+ deg C/km mid level
lapse rates in Iowa. Therefore, expect a blossoming area of snow in
response to the wave, where current there are 1/2 to 3/4sm
visibilities ongoing in Iowa. The Des Moines airport recorded 1.2"
at 1 am CDT and that was after about 2.5 hours of snow. The swath
where amounts in the 1-2" are favored is still bounded roughly on
the north by a LaSalle- Peru to Joliet to Gary line on the north
and a Chenoa to Kankakee to Kouts Indiana line on the south.
Within this swath, the aforementioned locally higher amounts are
possible though due to the progressive nature it seems this would
be the exception rather than the norm.
  • Like 2

What is that white stuff covering the ground? Why does it Wait till April?

Yeah this is crazy weather! We started our snow season way early and now ending it way late with mostly mild weather in between! Anyway, I never found out it snowed and slept through it all as wasn't expecting more than the forecasted up to 1/2". Plus there weren't many reports of snow falling when I went to bed after 11pm when there also was a decent radar return right overhead at that point, but no snowfall since the column wasn't saturated yet. Anyway it was clear by dawn and like a January morning, all white and probably record cold! Ended up with around 2 1/4" on most elevated surfaces including the green grass but can't measure it there properly. Walkways etc not much accumulation since it retained heat.

IMG-4787.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah this is crazy weather! We started our snow season way early and now ending it way late with mostly mild weather in between! Anyway, I never found out it snowed and slept through it all as wasn't expecting more than the forecasted up to 1/2". Plus there weren't many reports of snow falling when I went to bed after 11pm when there also was a decent radar return right overhead at that point, but no snowfall since the column wasn't saturated yet. Anyway it was clear by dawn and like a January morning, all white and probably record cold! Ended up with around 2 1/4" on most elevated surfaces including the green grass but can't measure it there properly. Walkways etc not much accumulation since it retained heat.

IMG-4787.jpg

There's beauty in this pic...great photo!