April 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Next week looks beautiful w sunshine and 50s all week, maybe a few spots hitting the 60s, but mainly 50s.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

I've had a busy past few days working on some business and right now I have some time before my family and I cruise up north to Sedona for the weekend.  I scored an amazing deal for a condo unit at a resort on the west side of Sedona.  The weather up north is going to be a bit cooler (upper 60's/low 70's) this weekend but lots of sun will make it feel nice.  A legit heat wave is predicted to develop in the SW next week as a strong ridge of High Pressure develops and stays put for quite a while.  Surprisingly, this year PHX has not seen their first official 90F day as March 31st is the average date.  Yesterday, Sky Harbor peaked at 89F but next week a string of 90's enter the forecast starting on Wed and it could last for over a week!

It's too bad the pools are closed here but the governor may open things up here by May 1st as the number of deaths/infections is far less than what the models were predicting.  Good news on that front.

Speaking of Sun and Heat...might be a good thing...

https://news.yahoo.com/sunlight-destroys-coronavirus-very-quickly-new-government-tests-find-but-experts-say-pandemic-could-still-last-through-summer-200745675.html

• Like 2

The trend, through the end of the month, isn't great.  The cold may be gone, but the Euro has been backing off of any real warmth.  Last night's run has 8 of the next 10 days below average, with Wed/Thu being the only above avg days.  A few days ago the Euro had 70º on Tuesday, but it has been digging another great lakes trough more to the sw each run.  Last night's run only has 52º Tuesday.  The next ten days appear mostly dry, which I don't mind because I have some yard projects I need to get done.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Attm, its 48F under mostly cloudy skies and there is also a wcf to add to that. Feels like 37F.

April 2024:

Next week features sunshine and milder weather which should bring our temps closer to near average or slightly BN. Highs are forecasted to be in the 50s and lows in the 30s.

April 2024:

Detroit scored pretty decent w snowfall yesterday considering is mid April. A total of 3.4" fell in the Metro area putting them at near average snowfall for the Winter season of (42.6").

• Like 1

April 2024:

Detroit scored pretty decent w snowfall yesterday considering is mid April. A total of 3.4" fell in the Metro area putting them at near average snowfall for the Winter season of (42.6").

On this side of the state there was more snow to the south of Grand Rapids. But here there was just a trace and for the season Grand Rapids is now at 53.5" that looks to be the total for the winter of 2019/20

On this side of the state there was more snow to the south of Grand Rapids. But here there was just a trace and for the season Grand Rapids is now at 53.5" that looks to be the total for the winter of 2019/20

Yep, we are done w snowfall, hopefully. IMBY total is 47.3". Not too shabby for a mild Winter.

• Like 1

April 2024:

Hello from "Red Rock Nation" of Sedona!  We arrived late morning and checked into our suite early (thankfully) and ventured out on our hike just down the street in west Sedona to Boynton Trail.  This trail is actually one of the Vortex's in the city of Sedona.  It was a rather overcast day from a frontal system that swept through the northern part of Arizona and temps held in the low 60's at the base of the trail, however, as we tracked up the canyon the temps dropped off into the upper 50's. The beauty of the colors of the canyons was a sight to see.  I wish we had more sunshine to allow the colors to "pop" but it didn't end up that way.  In fact, with a slight chance of showers in the forecast, wouldn't ya know it, it actually did briefly shower on us while hiking back down.  I'll try to post some pictures when I get back home.

Sounds like Chicago broke another record yesterday....

It's 58° in #Chicago, making today the warmest day immediately after a calendar day with 2+" of snow on record. Snow records go back to 1884. Closest to this? Interestingly last April. The 14th saw 5.4" of snow, then 52° on the 15th (& 73° on the 16th).
  • Like 1

The HEAT is ON later this week in the Valley of the Sun.  Last night's Euro suggesting temps surging towards the Century Mark by Friday.  Yikes, that's gonna be Toasty.  #GoodByeCOVID-19

Many years ago we were in Las Vegas and the outside temperature reading in the car and the ones on the banks ect read 108 I am not sure what the DP was but it was dry to say the least. Anyway I remember it was not as bad as I thought it would be in the shade if you could find any. But in the sun that was a different story think stick you head in a oven. Also I remember even in the shade if the sun reflected off a building across the street you could feel the heat from that as well.

Many years ago we were in Las Vegas and the outside temperature reading in the car and the ones on the banks ect read 108 I am not sure what the DP was but it was dry to say the least. Anyway I remember it was not as bad as I thought it would be in the shade if you could find any. But in the sun that was a different story think stick you head in a oven. Also I remember even in the shade if the sun reflected off a building across the street you could feel the heat from that as well.

I know exactly what your saying there, esp when its that hot and you stick your hand out the window while driving thinking it will "cool" your hand off but it actually feels like its "warming" it!  It's like a blow dryer effect.  Anything above 95F in my book gets into the discomfort level being outside. It's too bad pools are closed through months end but it may be lifted by May 1st if positive trends continue.

NAM/EURO/ICON in good agreement with clipper system with light snow accumulations on Wednesday across the Lakes. GFS further north with Canadian in the middle. Timing for my backyard looks unfavorable (late morning-afternoon) but as others have noted, the trend has been cooler for this week, so I guess another mid-day, April accumulation is possible. If only we could trade Aprils for Decembers in this sub...

Edit: Also, in fantasy land news, a couple of the Euro ensemble members (12z today) hint at another clipper, on May 3rd. Yikes.

There is some model consensus that our western and southern members will see some beautiful spring weather as a massive west coast ridge takes place later this week into the following.  This month will finish off on the warm side the farther west you are but not such luck for those near the Lakes/OHV.  I'm going to bake out here in AZ as the HEAT is going to FIRE up Bigly.  The Euro is pushing temps in the low 100's later next week!  Yikes.  The drive back home from Sedona I noticed there was a lot of green vegetation blooming from the rains earlier this month.  Not good for the Fire Season later on in the year.

This sure has been a rather windy April. In the last week here are the wind gust for each day. April 19th 39MPH. April 18th 41 MPH. April 17 a calm day with just 13 MPH. April 16th 33 MPH. April 15th 27 MPH. April 14th 41 MPH. April 13th 48 MPH. Yesterday even with the sun and temperatures well into the 50’s with that wind it sure did feel cool. Today it is sunny and once again windy and at this time 48 here at my house. And tomorrow once again it looks to be not only windy but cold and there is a chance of snow not only tomorrow but on Wednesday morning as well.

There is some model consensus that our western and southern members will see some beautiful spring weather as a massive west coast ridge takes place later this week into the following.  This month will finish off on the warm side the farther west you are but not such luck for those near the Lakes/OHV.  I'm going to bake out here in AZ as the HEAT is going to FIRE up Bigly.  The Euro is pushing temps in the low 100's later next week!  Yikes.  The drive back home from Sedona I noticed there was a lot of green vegetation blooming from the rains earlier this month.  Not good for the Fire Season later on in the year.

If and that is always a big little word, but if that ridge holds to the west it could be a hot summer out there and a cool one here in the GL. On the other hand if that ridge moves to the east it could become hot in the east this summer as well. As I stated before it sure has been windy here the last week and it is windy once again today.

• Like 1

This morning's op Euro amps up a slow-moving system at the end of the week.  Eastern Iowa is stuck on the cold nw side with plenty of rain and temps falling into the 30s Saturday.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

This morning's op Euro amps up a slow-moving system at the end of the week.  Eastern Iowa is stuck on the cold nw side with plenty of rain and temps falling into the 30s Saturday.

Boooo!! Are you friggin' kidding?  Enough already.  Bring on spring.  Give us some 70s or even some 80s.

• Like 1

Temp now at 35F w light snow and sunshine mixed in w strong winds. Wc values are in the low 20s. A dusting of snow reported here. There is a chance of breaking the record low high today which is 39F set back in 1875. Looking like a real potential w highs struggling to get outta the 30s.

Hopefully today I don't get to have so many remote meetings like yesterday, but I am not holding my breathe on that :lol:

April 2024:

Rest of April looks very dull in terms of any strong storms around. Also, forecasters are calling for BN temps throughout the rest of the month as well.

April 2024:

The sun is now out here with a more March like temperature of 37. Today will be the 9th day in a row of below average temperatures    With a current departure of -2.6° April will be the 1st below average month here at Grand Rapids since last November. The big question is will this be the start of a long term cool spell?

Temp now at 35F w light snow and sunshine mixed in w strong winds. Wc values are in the low 20s. A dusting of snow reported here. There is a chance of breaking the record low high today which is 39F set back in 1875. Looking like a real potential w highs struggling to get outta the 30s.

Hopefully today I don't get to have so many remote meetings like yesterday, but I am not holding my breathe on that :lol:

Unfortunately it was upper 40s after midnight, so no record, but still impressive airmass for sure.

It looks like the high of 42 for today may have been reached just after midnight. If that holds that would place today as the 3rd coldest maximum for any April 21st in Grand Rapids history. Even if it makes it to 45 later today that would still be the 5th coldest maximum. This will be the 3rd day this month that Grand Rapids has had a high in the top 10 coldest maximums for a date this April.

• Like 1

This from the NWS GRR in their afternoon discussion.

TAKING ALL THE ABOVE INGREDIENTS INTO ACCOUNT, THE QUESTION  

REMAINS, HOW COLD WILL IT BE AND HOW COLD IS IT IN REGARD TO  
RECORD LOWS FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR? GIVEN THE ABNORMALLY COLD AIR  
AND THE POTENTIAL FOR CLEAR SKIES FOR MOST OF THE NIGHT, LOWS  
COULD REASONABLY DROP IN THE MID 20S. THE RECORDS FOR TOMORROW IS  
24F AT GRAND RAPIDS IN 1986, 21F AT LANSING IN 1875, 22F AT  
MUSKEGON IN 1926 AND 22F AT KALAMAZOO IN 1936."  

Yesterday's high of 42 (reached just after midnight) was the 3rd coldest maximum of any April 21st in Grand Rapids recorded history. And the official low today of 24 ties the record low for today the 22nd of April. Here at my house I had a low of 22 and at this time there is light snow falling and the current temperature here is 30

• Like 2

The forecast remains steady and the ridge that will be building out west means business.  A lot of our members in the western and southern plains are going to get a taste or "tease" of some summer like weather to end the month while those near the GL's are stuck in an abysmal wx pattern. I spoke to my sister last night and she said the weather is quite depressing and to add to the misery, Illinois may be on lock down till mid June!  If that happens, I'm not interested in coming back after Memorial Day.  Hope that changes.

Lot's of rain chances heading towards the MW/OHV through this weekend....seems like a daily routine as an active flow develops....

Meantime, the furnace is going to fire up later this week in the Valley of the Sun...a stretch of low 100's is in the forecast starting Sun-Wed.

• Like 1

Much of the state is already 60+º, but an annoying batch of clouds and light showers over east-central Iowa is holding us down in the mid 40s.  Ugh.

Much of the state is already 60+º, but an annoying batch of clouds and light showers over east-central Iowa is holding us down in the mid 40s.  Ugh.

That was a wasted morning.  The rain should finally be done and we are at least near 60º now.  North-central Iowa is approaching 80º already.