April 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

This is the time of year I'm always jealous of Nebraska.  it's always a good 10 degrees warmer there than in Eastern Iowa.  I'm assuming we have enough influence from the Great Lakes that it keeps temps down over here.  I see there is a trough setting up shop in the northeast and that certainly is playing a role in it as well, but the plains consistently warm up much more this time of year than we do further to the east. I'd love to be basking in some 70s soon. 

I think the temperature difference has more to due with proximity to the compression and warming of air masses as they flow down from the rocky mountains in the general west to east flow of the jet stream.  Also further west has less influence from moisture transport from the Gulf of Mexico, the drier air heats up faster.    

• Like 1

I think the temperature difference has more to due with proximity to the compression and warming of air masses as they flow down from the rocky mountains in the general west to east flow of the jet stream.  Also further west has less influence from moisture transport from the Gulf of Mexico, the drier air heats up faster.    

Wish we could get some of these 19% RH afternoons in the summer instead lol 

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Its a balmy 50F outside under cloudy skies. The weekend now looks a little drier. Seems like the low will take a path just south of Mi, but too far south to be a near miss. If it were Winter, a lot of MI peeps on here would have been real pissed now :lol:

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Grand Rapids now has had 12 days in a row of below average temperatures and the mean for April is now at 42.6° and that is good for a departure of -4.2° The average high for today is 62 and by Thursday the average high is 64. It is cloudy and 41 here at this time.

The PHX NWS has issued an Excessive Heat Warning for the 1st time in history this early in the season for tomorrow.  I believe they said prior to this one the earliest was on May 2nd or 6th.  #livingthroughhistory

Heading for our 1st 100F day of the season today and a record breaker tomorrow of 102F.  Models keep getting warmer next week and we may top out at 105F on Wed and 106F on Thu!  If we make it to 106F on Thu, that will be the 1st time in history that the temp got that hot in the month of April.  Pretty incredible stretch of Heat coming this way.  I don't mind it all...beats the 40's/50's and cloudy/dreary weather back home in a heart beat!

The PHX NWS has issued an Excessive Heat Warning for the 1st time in history this early in the season for tomorrow.  I believe they said prior to this one the earliest was on May 2nd or 6th.  #livingthroughhistory

Heading for our 1st 100F day of the season today and a record breaker tomorrow of 102F.  Models keep getting warmer next week and we may top out at 105F on Wed and 106F on Thu!  If we make it to 106F on Thu, that will be the 1st time in history that the temp got that hot in the month of April.  Pretty incredible stretch of Heat coming this way.  I don't mind it all...beats the 40's/50's and cloudy/dreary weather back home in a heart beat!

In checking past heat waves in Phoenix one year that caught eye was 1992. In 1992 while not all records but all in the top 5 for the date.  The high reached 100 on April 25, 101 on the 26th, 104 on the 27th, 104 on the 28th, 104 on the 29th, 101 on the 30th. Then 102 on May 1st, 101 on May 2nd and 100 on May 3rd. Of course the summer of 1992 was one of the coolest on record here in the Great Lakes

• Like 1

In checking past heat waves in Phoenix one year that caught eye was 1992. In 1992 while not all records but all in the top 5 for the date. The high reached 100 on April 25, 101 on the 26th, 104 on the 27th, 104 on the 28th, 104 on the 29th, 101 on the 30th. Then 102 on May 1st, 101 on May 2nd and 100 on May 3rd. Of course the summer of 1992 was one of the coolest on record here in the Great Lakes

Nice stat check! I guess the theme is if we roast here in the SW/W it usually ends up colder near the GL’s. I remember last year it was not the case as the SW was cool in both April/May but it still ended up cool across the MW/GL’s if I’m not mistaken.

There is clearing to the west and today looks to be a nice day. At this time it is 46 here at my house. I think today I will cut the grass for the first time this year. Some years the cutting season starts in mid April and others not until May. Once into May cutting the grass might be a two times a week thing for a while. It depends on how much rain we get.

There is clearing to the west and today looks to be a nice day. At this time it is 46 here at my house. I think today I will cut the grass for the first time this year. Some years the cutting season starts in mid April and others not until May. Once into May cutting the grass might be a two times a week thing for a while. It depends on how much rain we get.

I was thinking the same thing just a minute ago!  I literally just texted my neighbor to check on my yard and asked him if it needs a clean up.  BTW, looks like next weekend a real nice couple of days is shaping up for the MW/GL's and possibly some 70s in the forecast.  Hope it comes into fruition for ya'll.

• Like 2

Took a peak into the extended and after a nice few opening days of May another significant cool down looms across the eastern Sub.  The EPS is colder than the GEFS but both models agree that it will turn very active and wet next month.  Meanwhile, PHX just missed reaching the century mark yesterday and topped out at 99F.  Today, however, will not be the case as we soar into the low 100's and likely break the 1992 record WestJim brought up yesterday.

It's going to be a gorgeous day across Iowa.  We have full sun, light wind, and a temp in the upper 50s, headed for the upper 60s.

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

At 54F w mostly cloudy skies. A lotta rain coming for mid week as a strong low pressure area moves in. Could be those rainevents where it keeps raining non-stop all day and into the nite. Bring it....need to to green up my grass area.

Lots of hail, mostly pea size but a few up to nickel

Nice pics, but ugh..I think I just cracked my neck from trying to see these pics. Rotation might help! ;)

Hazardous Weather Outlook

Hazardous Weather Outlook

National Weather Service Detroit/Pontiac MI

420 AM EDT Sun Apr 26 2020

MIZ070-076-083-270830-

Macomb-Wayne-Monroe-

420 AM EDT Sun Apr 26 2020

This hazardous weather outlook is for portions of southeast

Michigan.

.DAY ONE...Today and Tonight

A Lakeshore Flood Warning is in effect today for strong onshore wind

and high waves. Please reference the latest Lakeshore Hazard Message

for details.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Monday through Saturday

A strong low pressure system moves into the Great Lakes Tuesday night

and Wednesday. Periods of rain are expected with a chance of

localized heavy rainfall through mid week.

I've tried to rotate and shows up same way on here. Looks fine on other sites such as Facebook though

Yep, I know what ya mean. It gets tricky. It has happened to me as well. This is what you do:

Tip: When this happens to me, what I try to do is double checking the pic/pics on my desktop to see how they look by dragging them there (think of it like your safe spot). Check to see if it shows the way ya wanna it to be posted as. What happens is that when you try to rotate them from this forum, it might show the picture perfect, but then, gets posted sideways. It can be very deceiving. So, simply, drag the pic to your desktop and double check it there. Then go back to the forum and try posting your pic/pics. I know it sounds crazy! hope this helps. :)

It is a really nice day outside for late April in Iowa. One thing I have noticed though is that the trees around here are still bare with no buds on them. I would think that by late April, they should have more buds than they do now. 

Does anyone know when trees in Iowa usually start budding on average? I don't pay much attention to it.

It is a really nice day outside for late April in Iowa. One thing I have noticed though is that the trees around here are still bare with no buds on them. I would think that by late April, they should have more buds than they do now.

Does anyone know when trees in Iowa usually start budding on average? I don't pay much attention to it.

Was thinking the same thing when I was sitting out on the deck a while ago. Lot of bare trees yet.

Most of the trees in North Liberty have very small leaves on them already. The flowering trees are looking really good. So CR has got to be budding soon

• Like 1

It is 50 and partly cloudy here. I cut the grass for the fist time this year yesterday. If past years are any indication cutting the grass will be a common form of exercise  for the next several weeks. I too miss sports and not just watching, as I work part time at the Van Andel and 5/3 Ballpark so I am not working either. I miss the games but not some of the concerts that much. I do not think minor league baseball will be played this year. And as for hockey in the fall we will have to see how the summer plays out. 

Earlier trees etc are starting to green up with small leaves here. Usually we have some trees in full leaf by late April, but it's a little delayed this year with all the cold & snow we had earlier this month. I'm surprised you would be that far behind since you are only the next county north. Dandelions are thick in spots and are pretty now, but soon their ugly seed heads will be popping as well. I mowed most of the lawns on Saturday and it was plenty long in some areas. It's spring and I'm loving it!

BTW I had a high temp of 70° yesterday.

• Like 1

Marvelous day outside today. Just splendid w abundant sunshine and very comfortable temps. I think temps should manage to creep up into the low 60s. Big storm coming by midweek w plenty of rainfall.

Okay...back to my zoom meetings. Ugh! Break is ova! :blink:

Took a peak into the extended and after a nice few opening days of May another significant cool down looms across the eastern Sub.  The EPS is colder than the GEFS but both models agree that it will turn very active and wet next month.  Meanwhile, PHX just missed reaching the century mark yesterday and topped out at 99F.  Today, however, will not be the case as we soar into the low 100's and likely break the 1992 record WestJim brought up yesterday.

We had a record setting day yesterday and topped out at 102F...I'll be honest, it wasn't at all that bad.  In fact, I went out on walk around the fountain during the afternoon and there were plenty of folks sitting underneath the trees  away from the sun.  We had a nice strong breeze so that helped out quite a bit.  Not even Noon and we are torching 93F...#desertlife

• Like 2

Hard to believe April ended up AN w snowfall. Total snowfall in Detroit was 4.9." Average is 1.7." So, if you go statistically, that is 289% above average snowfall for the month of April :lol:

Attm, clouds have increased ahead of the weaker of the 2 systems that will affect my area. Big rainstorm for Wed-Thu timeframe. Amounts could exceed more than an inch of liq. Holding at 54F.